Amazon deals thread

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used that on a 6 piece drumset and signed up for an Amazon credit card at the same time to get 10% cash back on the purchase. Insane deal.
Excellent! I was once given a 15% off code by the rep, then he added an additional 10% off that.

I seem to recall that when the "Call to Save" feature was first rolled out, it started at 20% off, then 18%, and finally settled between 10-15% before disappearing altogether. But I bought a TON of quality Turkish bronze back then, thanks to Amazon's crazy discounts.

I will note that I never received a used cymbal sold as new. But their poor packaging did cause me to send a couple back. One was literally hanging half out of the box on my porch.

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
Excellent! I was once given a 15% off code by the rep, then he added an additional 10% off that.

I seem to recall that when the "Call to Save" feature was first rolled out, it started at 20% off, then 18%, and finally settled between 10-15% before disappearing altogether. But I bought a TON of quality Turkish bronze back then, thanks to Amazon's crazy discounts.

I will note that I never received a used cymbal sold as new. But their poor packaging did cause me to send a couple back. One was literally hanging half out of the box on my porch.
I ordered a Meinl Extra Dry 20 ride from Amazon that arrived completely loose inside a flat box, without packing material. Luckily it was undamaged!

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I ordered a Meinl Extra Dry 20 ride from Amazon that arrived completely loose inside a flat box, without packing material. Luckily it was undamaged!
Yep, standard issue with Amazon. The cymbals will slide to and fro all the way across country before arriving. It really opened my eyes as to how durable cymbals actually are.

One of my favorite Amazon packing jobs was this 17" crash housed in an unpadded box that was literally 4' tall! Well done, Amazon.

20170130_171635_2.jpg

jkuhl

Reaction score
Here are a couple. Great deal on the China

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, not a drumming item, but this is an acoustic bass case made by Protection Racket. Listed for $26! They only have one left, if anyone (or your bassist) can use it. I've bought an acoustic and an electric guitar case from PR before and they are fantastic.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Okay, not a drumming item, but this is an acoustic bass case made by Protection Racket. Listed for $26! They only have one left, if anyone (or your bassist) can use it. I've bought an acoustic and an electric guitar case from PR before and they are fantastic.
I have two acoustic basses but while the Deluxe would work for me the "standard" only handles a 14 1/2" lower bout. On their website they only show Deluxe and Standard, no Classic. No dimensions on Amazon so who knows if it actually fits most acoustic basses.

edit - finally found a seller with dimensions on the "Classic"; the lower bout IS 14 1/2"

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have two acoustic basses but while the Deluxe would work for me the "standard" only handles a 14 1/2" lower bout. On their website they only show Deluxe and Standard, no Classic. No dimensions on Amazon so who knows if it actually fits most acoustic basses.

edit - finally found a seller with dimensions on the "Classic"; the lower bout IS 14 1/2"
It's model 7054, which is on PR's website.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a clump of cymbal deals

Bosphorus Antique 17" paper thin crash ($143), 18" thin crash ($157), 20" medium ride ($208), 21" medium thin ride ($211)

Bosphorus Turk 18" FX crash ($157)

Bosphorus Turk 24" flat ride -- out of stock ($255)

Istanbul Mehmet Traditional 17" medium crash ($139)

Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia Jazz 16" crash ($148)

Shawn Martin

Reaction score
I bought my Bosphorus 20” Antique Series flat ride on Amazon for $130. At the time, there was “1 in Stock” but after I ordered it, it was on backorder with no ETA. Luckily, it showed up in around 2 weeks…in brand new condition inside the bag.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a clump of cymbal deals

Bosphorus Antique 17" paper thin crash ($143), 18" thin crash ($157), 20" medium ride ($208), 21" medium thin ride ($211)

Bosphorus Turk 18" FX crash ($157)

Bosphorus Turk 24" flat ride -- out of stock ($255)

Istanbul Mehmet Traditional 17" medium crash ($139)

Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia Jazz 16" crash ($148)
What’s up with the Bos Turk stuff? I haven’t played one before. Just heard a few demos years back. Are they worth checking out?

The EFX might be a nice brash option and there’s another decently priced Turk crash on Amazon.

Also, why are Bos so cheap on Amazon so often?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s up with the Bos Turk stuff? I haven’t played one before. Just heard a few demos years back. Are they worth checking out?

The EFX might be a nice brash option and there’s another decently priced Turk crash on Amazon.

The Bosphorus Turk stuff is definitely worth checking out! They are great. I bought a 21" thin Turk ride from someone here on DFO, and I really like it. And I picked up a pair of 14" thin Turk hats from Amazon that are nice as well. I'm not sure why it goes for what it does on Amazon from time to time, but I think that's just how Amazon moves slow moving items. I'm a big Bosphorus fan.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bosphorus Turk stuff is definitely worth checking out! They are great. I bought a 21" thin Turk ride from someone here on DFO, and I really like it. And I picked up a pair of 14" thin Turk hats from Amazon that are nice as well. I'm not sure why it goes for what it does on Amazon from time to time, but I think that's just how Amazon moves slow moving items. I'm a big Bosphorus fan.
If they have any near parallel from Zildjian, Sabina or Istanbul, what series from each might be closest to the Turk?

There may not be a very direct parallel but anything that comes close? Just looking for a sonic frame of reference.

Shawn Martin

Reaction score
If they have any near parallel from Zildjian, Sabina or Istanbul, what series from each might be closest to the Turk?

There may not be a very direct parallel but anything that comes close? Just looking for a sonic frame of reference.
I bought my first Bosphorus ride in the late 90s. I wouldn’t necessarily do a direct comparison between them and the “Big Three” companies but of those you mentioned, they’re closer to Istanbul. I’m a jazz guy and the Turk companies have a much wider array of cymbals that fit my style.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score

The Turks are nice cymbals, I have had several. Both Istanbul Mehmet and Agop offer Turk cymbals as well. Basically, they are hammered but unlathed — I don’t think Zildjian or Sabian offer anything like that except for a model here or there. Even then, most of the unlathed options (like the Zildjian Earth Ride or the Sabian Raw Ride) are heavy and clangy. The Turk cymbals from Bosphorus and Istanbul are thinner, lighter, and far more musical. Probably the closest analogue in a somewhat usable sounding cymbal would be Zildjian’s K Special Dry line, but those have some bad ones in my experience.

That said, if you’re going to buy Turks, you should be prepared for dark cymbals without a lot of shimmer or presence and a shorter decay. The EFX version would only play further into those same characteristics. While I don’t currently have any Turk crashes, I have a Master Vintage crash that I love, which is similar in response but has a more delicate tone that allows for more wash and shimmer (but not like a traditionally lathed cymbal). That series (and the Black Pearl series) have a baked-on carbon layer after lathing that emulates some of the attributes of the unlathed sound, and I find it to be a great mixture.

As for why Bosphorus can be had for cheap sometimes on Amazon, I don’t really know. But I’m enjoying it while it lasts.

Shawn Martin

Reaction score

I just realized that I kinda missed the specific cymbal type you referenced: the Turks. As far as I know, Zildjian has never made anything comparable to Turks…hi-hats, crashes, or rides. I don’t think Sabian has either, although the original Jack DeJohnette signature line would probably be the closest thing soundwise. They were the blackish colored ones from the 90s. Jack had previously used Istanbul and generally had a Turk or two in his setup.

The current Istanbuls of course have Turk cymbals in the Mehmet and Agop lines.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for why Bosphorus can be had for cheap sometimes on Amazon, I don’t really know. But I’m enjoying it while it lasts.
I think it hurt their sales a lot when the relationship with Stanton Moore and Jeff Hamilton was severed. The way they described it, Bosphorus just couldn't keep their import partnership supplied in a timely manner. And the biggest name they have left endorsing is Ari Hoenig. It's a shame for the company because they sound so nice. I think it's just the nature of slow sales and Amazon blowing it out of their warehouse at somewhere near cost. I think if they had faster sales these deals would never happen.