Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, these are used.
[/QUOTE]

"used" is technically accurate but in fact the dozen returns I've bought are like new, much nicer than a "new" item in a music store that kids have been banging on. If you are unlucky and get the, perhaps one in twenty, that is not in pristine condition you just return it. But the Pearl drums in question are described as "Like New" and I've never seen an item that was worse than it's description.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, these are used.

"used" is technically accurate but in fact the dozen returns I've bought are like new, much nicer than a "new" item in a music store that kids have been banging on. If you are unlucky and get the, perhaps one in twenty, that is not in pristine condition you just return it. But the Pearl drums in question are described as "Like New" and I've never seen an item that was worse than it's description.
[/QUOTE]
Often the returned/ "used" sets are missing a box.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the definition of used gear, currently in my experience, "used" gear has meant a barely played guitar that I got last year, and my guitar player got a "used" top of the line G&L guitar for $500 less than new. You couldn't tell that either of them had been used. Plastic still on the pick guards and rear cavity. No discernible fret wear, nicks, dings or fingerprints.

We're in the golden age of not just the highest quality gear ever, but also how quickly it turns around in the marketplace. Many people buy stuff just for a test drive, if even that.

slow larry

Reaction score
Drum sets get returned a lot when only the shells and minimal hardware shows up and they were expecting the cymbals from the photo. The reviews of mid range sets are full of complaints. The low end sets learned their lesson and ship with stamped brass cymbal like objects or B8s for the nicer ones.
That Pearl presidential set is just 2xtoms and the bass w/ the bass-mounted cymbal arm. No snare, which was likely the return reason. I already have a comparable set of Pearls of I'd have bought them. I like the shallow tom sound of the "Classic" depth.

If you're ever confused about what you are getting on Amazon, the text of the page overrides the photos.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score

slow larry

Reaction score
Yea the thing with Amazon Warehouse is each offering is a single iteration of the product.

afwdrums

Reaction score
heads up ya'll, I just returned 2 brand new Bosphorus cymbals to Amazon, so I'm guessing these will be popping up on Amazon Warehouse as "used" cymbals sometime soon...the 2 cymbals are:

20" New Orleans ride...cost was ~$221 plus tax...I thought this was a nice cymbal that I debated keeping, but ultimately decided it's too close to others I have and I shouldn't keep it just because it was a good price...I didn't weigh it, but I'd guess it's in the 19xx's somewhere...nothing wrong with this cymbal imo, it's brand new, I played it maybe an hour or so

13" Antique paper-thin crash...cost was ~$115 plus tax...was hoping to use this as a top and match up a set of hats, but it's way too thin for that...it's brand new, I literally didn't even hit it with a stick, it only came out of the box long enough for me to go "whoah that's too thin" and back in the box it went

so if you see a 20" New Orleans or a 13" Antique come up soon, it's surely these

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 20" Bosphorus Antique thin ride cymbal I ordered for $195.62 on November 13 just landed at Amazon with five brothers. It is being shipped to me, will receive next Monday. I was starting to doubt that I would ever get it.

ADDED: Showing a price of just over $300 while out of stock for the past couple of months, with 5 in stock the price dropped to $257. Not sure what to make of that.

Attachments

• 71+b8S3t6OL._AC_SL1218_.jpg
    71+b8S3t6OL._AC_SL1218_.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

slow larry

Reaction score
A pair of carter mclean promark sticks for about 1/2 the usual price, likely a return.

I got a pair of these as a free gift on a big order of Evans heads. They are definitely unique. The tip is essentially a huge, elongated acorn so big it merges with the taper. You get essentially two tips in one. You can get big full drum strokes with the fat of the side of the tip, or a more staccato sound with just the tips, better on cymbals. The problem is you have to think about how you hold the stick a lot more regarding the angle of the tip. I understand he's a broadway musical it drummer. I could see these being good for the various sound maker gizmos and still acceptable on the drum set. They are a very versatile stick but kind of exhausting to use.

afwdrums

Reaction score
heads up ya'll, I just returned 2 brand new Bosphorus cymbals to Amazon, so I'm guessing these will be popping up on Amazon Warehouse as "used" cymbals sometime soon...the 2 cymbals are:

20" New Orleans ride...cost was ~$221 plus tax...I thought this was a nice cymbal that I debated keeping, but ultimately decided it's too close to others I have and I shouldn't keep it just because it was a good price...I didn't weigh it, but I'd guess it's in the 19xx's somewhere...nothing wrong with this cymbal imo, it's brand new, I played it maybe an hour or so

13" Antique paper-thin crash...cost was ~$115 plus tax...was hoping to use this as a top and match up a set of hats, but it's way too thin for that...it's brand new, I literally didn't even hit it with a stick, it only came out of the box long enough for me to go "whoah that's too thin" and back in the box it went

so if you see a 20" New Orleans or a 13" Antique come up soon, it's surely these

a 13" Antique paper-thin crash is now up on Amazon Warehouse, this is surely the one I recently returned...only $77 now...they list the condition as "used-acceptable", but if it is the one I recently returned it is brand new, I didn't even hit it with a stick, there's barely even a fingerprint on it

don't see the 20" New Orleans I also recently returned there yet (unless someone already snagged it up before I even saw it posted)

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

The 13" just popped up for $78. If I didn't already have that identical cymbal, I'd grab it.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score

afwdrums

Reaction score
I think the cp at the end of the model means it's paper thin. I got one once for a hi hat top, but it was too thin for me.
it does mean paper-thin, and they ain't lying either...I had bought it to try to use as a hi-hat top as well, but it's way too thin for that, it would surely invert with foot pressure...it's basically a large splash

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
These bags are in the same class as Humes & Berg Galaxy at a better price point. I own a set for one of my kits and just ordered single pieces to house my Brooklyn micro kit. Multiple sizes on this page:

The Pro Tec bags are a good value. I have the 22" cymbal bag for storage or light gigging, the rolling multi-tom bag and the 6.5x14 snare bag. They're at least as good compared to my old H&B Tuxedo assortment, maybe a little better.

They occasionally drop in price by $5-20 depending on what you get and when. After the big holidays and Black Friday are good bets.

Last edited: