Ambassador snare heads- hazy vs clear ?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
About to order from drum factory direct, and they have no collar Remo's YAY.

What's up with the clear vs hazy tho ? When did this start ? Any sonic difference ? However minimal or perceived ha ha

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Probably depends on what your playing and or how articulate you need your sound to be. I personally have used them interchangeably depending on what was available and not noticed a difference. Others I'm sure have different experiences with them.

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure they're identical from a "specs" perspective, but the clear is only available in 14" it appears (from the Remo website). The hazy comes in 8" through 16".

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMO the haze adds a bit a warmth to the tone. Just like a clear vs ebony ambassador.. The ebony is noticeably darker in sound, big time. I am guessing this has to do with the mylar, and how added color, mass, or maybe a sightly different film.

dsop

Reaction score
I personally have used them interchangeably depending on what was available and not noticed a difference.
Me too. No difference as far as I can tell. I wonder why they don't offer the no-collar option with the Diplomat weight.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I always use Hazy, but I'm not sure why. LOL
Same here. I like the look I guess.
Regarding the mention of ebony, does it truly offer a different tone? Remo just said they add a reflective black look.

dsop

Reaction score
Same here. I like the look I guess.
Regarding the mention of ebony, does it truly offer a different tone? Remo just said they add a reflective black look.
The Ebony batter heads definitely sound different. It's a different film. You can even hear the difference between a Black dot and a Clear dot. The Black heads seem to have a bit more attack or transience.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I always use Hazy, but I'm not sure why. LOL
Excuse me, while I crash this pie. LOL.

I dont know why either. My unedumicated self seems to think that the hazys may impart a little more sensitivty. I use Amb Vintage over Dip Hazys. Recently paring this combo with the 42 strand snare I took off my new Gretsch 4160 COB, my cheap ass Gretsch Catalina Maple snare sounds incredible now that I got it all dialed in and cranked up to a high tune. Press rolls for days!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Ebony batter heads definitely sound different. It's a different film. You can even hear the difference between a Black dot and a Clear dot. The Black heads seem to have a bit more attack or transience.
Ebony is Remo, and the equivalent to Evan's Black Chrome?
I've been an Emporer/Ambassador my whole life, but this year put on Black Chrome heads for theft first time. For Bubinga kits, they stay warm, with a better attack. I find them easier to tune as well for some reason
Opps OP was talking Hazy vs reg. Idk

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Excuse me, while I crash this pie. LOL.

I dont know why either. My unedumicated self seems to think that the hazys may impart a little more sensitivty. I use Amb Vintage over Dip Hazys. Recently paring this combo with the 42 strand snare I took off my new Gretsch 4160 COB, my cheap ass Gretsch Catalina Maple snare sounds incredible now that I got it all dialed in and cranked up to a high tune. Press rolls for days!
I've found my Cat Maple snare to be surprisingly versatile. :)

Ptrick

Reaction score
The no collar heads were originally marching snare bottom heads. In my experience, they don’t stretch nearly as much as the regular hazy’s, and sonically are a tiny bit sharper sounding. If you like to crank your snare bottoms, they are great. I still think the Aquarian classic clear snare bottoms are my overall favorite, though. Last forever and hold their tunings.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those dots have different thicknesses.
The films, clear, white, black etc., certainly sound slightly different.

dsop

Reaction score
Those dots have different thicknesses.
Exactly! They're all supposed to be 5 mil, but I'm positive that the clear dots are a bit thinner. That's why I prefer the Coated with Clear dot underneath for snare drums. They're almost like regular Ambassador heads, with a tiny bit of added beef.

Targalx

Reaction score
I’ve used both, very little difference. I just get whatever’s cheaper and/or available at the music store. Lately, I've been using neither: I'm running those Ludwig X-Thin snare side heads and enjoying them very much.