"Amie" Pure Prairie League

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love this tune. This one seemed to always be on our setlist in the late 70s. I remember having fun playing around with the groove just to see where we could take it. Man, this is a sweet memory.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love this tune. This one seemed to always be on our setlist in the late 70s. I remember having fun playing around with the groove just to see where we could take it. Man, this is a sweet memory.
This was/is on our current set list..we've scaled way back and play small rooms to people our age now..lol..it goes over well..you can see a lot of people singing along to it

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When this came out I was dating a girl named Amy. She was attending a university about 120 miles from me, I would drive up to see her on weekends, often after a gig. I'd throw a suitcase in the wagon with the drums and show up in time to take her to breakfast.

We sent letters back and forth during the week. This song became a hit and she changed her signature from Amy to Amie. I thought that it was silly even when I was eighteen.

In the 1990s I was playing in an oldies band. We had a change of singers and became a country-rock cover band, this song was on our playlist from the beginning. I still remember the feeling of accomplishment when we nailed the harmonies on this for the first time.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really great tune, perfect for outdoor summer gigs. Written by the great Craig Lee Fuller, who would enjoy a successful tenure fronting Little Feat in the 80s and 90s.

MVE

Reaction score
Probably many different memories for many different people with this song. Great tune. You gotta’ love the music that takes you back.
It sure takes me back.
Mostly because their current lead singer Donnie Lee bought my Lexus SC400 from me.
So, this song makes me think of that car.
I loved that car, but whatcha gonna do?

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoever did the YT video got the album art wrong. That is the cover of the third album "Two Lane Highway". Amie was on the second album "Bustin' Out"

Pretty big fan of the first two Pure Prairie League albums with Craig Fuller, both released in 1972. Second album "Bustin' Out" got a lot of attention with the hit song Amie and album sales were good. In fact, the second album was popular enough it was immediately released on CD in 1988. Their first album, self titled "Pure Prairie League" , is one of the most underrated albums of all time, imho. It was never released on CD. Being their first album, it didn't have a hit and sales were such that not many vinyl pressings were actually made. The Eagles first album was released in the same year, 1972, and I have always thought Pure Prairie League's first album was every bit as good. It just didn't have the one hit that was needed back in the day to get the air play, and it was probably a bit too country. You can pick up a lot of the first album on streaming services and YT. Well worth the listen.

Pure Prairie League

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have had this in our set list for a long time . Fun song to play and the audience really seem to like it .

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that screams out the chorus while driving when the song comes on the radio? LOL!!!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife used to sing with Vince Gill before he joined PPL ...
That, sir, is very cool. Mike Reilly of Pure Prairie League is from Fort Thomas, KY, and they were a southern Ohio band for awhile, and members / former members of the band mingled with Ram Jam and The James Gang, among others. And of course, Vince Gill was in Louisville for awhile while his career was taking off.