Amplification

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I recently picked up a used Yamaha DTX something - do I need any special type if amp for it? Right now I'm just using headphones
but want to try it at practice with the band

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You need an amp that has a broad frequency range. Guitar and bass amps are not sufficient. Keyboard amps are a bit better and there are a few dedicated drum amplifiers from Roland, Simmons, and Alesis. They might be adequate for practice but in my opinion will fall well short of what you hear through headphones. Your best bet is to run the DTX module through a really good PA system with a sub-woofer, but I realize this may not be cost effective.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

electrodrummer

Reaction score
What speaker post:

Home: headphones (or a PA if you *really* need speakers)
Rehearsal: a PA
Live: a PA
Minimum of 12" woofers, speakers on stands, tweeters at ear height. Test by playing Prodigy's Firestarter thru at full pelt.
(as for make and model - that depends on your budget)

Avoid cheapo things with Bluetooth and don't be swayed by things advertised as "drum" amps as most are just overpriced active floor wedges/speakers with a badge stuck on.

Oh, and if you see something that says 2000W output - see what its power consumption is (clue: it won't be 2KW... The output is actually 350W RMS max)

Anthony84

Reaction score
Get a keyboard amp. The speaker is more universal (like that of a PA system) and will much better cover the spectrum of frequencies a drum kit outputs.