An educated left foot.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
Sometimes just the two and four thing, sometimes constant four and sometimes I'll play the clave pattern.

drumrman2002

Reaction score
xsabers said:
My left foot mostly keeps me from falling over...
Lol. Ditto. I used to keep my left foot firmly planted on the hi hats to help for balance. I began using my left to keep time on the hats about 2 years ago, mainly while playing my ride cymbal. I remember using my hats as a time keeper through most of "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes when our band was rehearsing this song. By the end of the song, my left leg felt like rubber, but as I started to work that leg more often, the easier it got.

The same kinda holds true for my left arm. I played with bands for years rarely ever striking a crash cymbal with my left hand. I was fast enough just using my right. But there again, I started trying to build up that independence of using both hands on cymbals and now I'm able to use my left hand as well. It's still not as strong as my right, but I feel it's getting there. getting all 4 limbs moving independently is a challenge. I wish I had really dedicated myself to working on it years ago.