header.nohb.html

An Evil Buddy from a Parallel Universe

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
My memories of Playboy After Dark involves waiting for it to end so the late night Creature Feature could start. Playboy After Dark was a weird, boring show.

Although they did have some interesting bands on from time to time.

Watching the Iron Butterfly video. Was the keyboard player singing? He didn't have a microphone.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Watching the Iron Butterfly video. Was the keyboard player singing? He didn't have a microphone.
Ya, Doug Ingle wrote and sang it. Obviously they were lip synching. Side note: Up until earlier this year, I owned his first Ampeg SVT head, one of the very first ever made.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Playboy's Penthouse, Hef's earlier attempt at a TV show had a cooler, more sophisticated vibe (though only in black and white)

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I HATE lip synching. They don't even try to make it look real.

I wonder about the Buddy clip, I see the piano and bass players but never saw the horn section. But it would be near impossible (I'd think) to play to a track (minus the drums as Buddy is obviously not miming) especially when Buddy starts the chart (Mercy, Mercy, Mercy). Then again it is Buddy Rich....so ??? Where is the horn section? And if they went to that much trouble to have his whole band then why didn't they set up Buddy's own Slingerland set?

Questions that demand answers....

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wonder about the Buddy clip, I see the piano and bass players but never saw the horn section. But it would be near impossible (I'd think) to play to a track (minus the drums as Buddy is obviously not miming) especially when Buddy starts the chart (Mercy, Mercy, Mercy). Then again it is Buddy Rich....so ??? Where is the horn section? And if they went to that much trouble to have his whole band then why didn't they set up Buddy's own Slingerland set?

Questions that demand answers....
My thoughts exactly, but I guess the room wasn‘t big enough to catch the whole band on camera. Imagine the massive sound in that room!

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I HATE lip synching. They don't even try to make it look real.
I like the way Muse did it. They had to do playback on an Italian show, so they all switched instruments -- drummer went to bass + vocals, guitarist / vocalist went to drums, and bassist went to guitar / keyboard. :lol: