And, here's yet another entertainer who drums! Sammy Davis....

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is amazing, Ive just watched about half of it. it's like he's not as trained as the professional drummers, meaning it looks like he 'is/would' struggles to play faster with his hands and feet BUT everything is in place in terms of having such a natural sense of swing, timing, dynamics, and especially musical intelligence, - good phrasing and stuff. Thank you for posting.
Big talent came in small packages...

[/QUOT

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
PBS recently ran an episode of American Masters about Sammy. I started watching it on a whim and got completely absorbed. It was very interesting, covering his life in both entertainment and politics, which went hand-in-hand throughout his career. There was some footage of him ripping on a kit when he went to entertain the troops in Vietnam...he was no slouch. I really enjoyed watching it.

Base

Reaction score
Imo Sammy Davis jr. might easily be the biggest Entertainer of all times!? Given the fact, that he was capable of so many different things (singing, dancing, impersonating, playing different instruments...) on such a high level. If you Start YouTubimg him you'll for sure loose a few hours of your life - but get back lots of joy and excitement. And please go ahead and check out who participated in the celebration of his 60th year on stage, because I've yet to find a bigger amassment of superstars!

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
On August 31, 1967 my family and I went to the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas to see Frank Sinatra backed by the Buddy Rich big band. Frank had a touch of the flu so Sammy Davis Jr. came out and did an unscheduled (and unbilled) hour-long set to help take some of the load off his under-the-weather friend. What a great show that was!

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
curious as to the kit set-up. Is that a lefty kit or a righty kit minus the front rack tom?

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
I've seen him and the Rat Pack on TV back in the 70s,
but I never knew he played DRUMS! :blob4::blob5::blob3::blob2::blob8::blob7:

ChrisBabbitt

Reaction score
On August 31, 1967 my family and I went to the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas to see Frank Sinatra backed by the Buddy Rich big band. Frank had a touch of the flu so Sammy Davis Jr. came out and did an unscheduled (and unbilled) hour-long set to help take some of the load off his under-the-weather friend. What a great show that was!
I also saw Frank at the Sands in '67 with Buddy, and Sammy made a brief appearance. I eventually got to see his show a about 10 years later in San Diego.