And I sent it to Mike Curotto, redux

curly

Reaction score
So I was inspired by this thread to send my old Ludwig to Mike for restoration.

Backstory here is that I bought this 14 x 5 Ludwig snare about a decade ago. The prior owner thought it was a Silver Anniversary snare that either had the original black nickel finish removed or was never finished. The original strainer and butt plate had been replaced. It is a players piece and I gigged it for a while in the condition you see, which is a decent amount of wear but lots of character.

I had been thinking of having it restored and after Drumbelly's thread, I reached out to Mike. Upshot: send your restoration work to Mike!. My snare is either an anniversary model or it is a slightly later mid 1930s snare in Classic Gold. While it does have a square bead like the anniversary models, the lugs are not the Anniversary lugs, ie not tapped and rather have inserts. Mike stripped the shell down, polished it, and re-lacquered it while maintaining the age. The lugs were chrome and not nickel plated and so he had the chrome striped down to the nickel plating. Bottom line, the snare looks great and is set up to age well for a long time. Thanks Mike!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A really gorgeous drum! Not only do I applaud your decision to entrust the restoration to Mike, but also Mike's work as well! You made the right call! Thanks for sharing this beautiful snare drum!

-Mark

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow!! Mike is a master at that. Guessing that drum would have originally had the later "timepiece" throw off (same mount hole pattern).

curly

Reaction score
Wow!! Mike is a master at that. Guessing that drum would have originally had the later "timepiece" throw off (same mount hole pattern).
Yes, you are correct about the timepiece throw off.

I really can't say enough about Mike's work. He's also a super nice guy and replaced the washers, etc that weren't period correct for free.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If the lugs were chrome and the rest of the plating was nickel, your drum probably had tapped lugs originally and someone slapped some lugs with inserts for worry free tuning. Looks great!

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
If the lugs were chrome and the rest of the plating was nickel, your drum probably had tapped lugs originally and someone slapped some lugs with inserts for worry free tuning. Looks great!
That's eaxactly what I told Eric...although there is a quick fix for stripped Imperial lugs, it's call a helacoil, works well.

Mike Curotto

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
That's a fabulous looking drum! Well done on the resto.

These "square bead" shells... how are they compared to the rest of the Ludwig brass lineage? Are they 2 piece? Soldered bearing edges?

And Mike, the nickled lugs look great, good call! Is that a terribly expensive process? Imagine you had your player do it?

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's a fabulous looking drum! Well done on the resto.

These "square bead" shells... how are they compared to the rest of the Ludwig brass lineage? Are they 2 piece? Soldered bearing edges?

And Mike, the nickled lugs look great, good call! Is that a terribly expensive process? Imagine you had your player do it?
Hi Aaron,
The shells are one-piece brass and generally sound good.
Yes, my platers can do the chrome to nickel stripping...it's an easy process, just a little time consuming.

Mike

curly

Reaction score
Hi Aaron,
The shells are one-piece brass and generally sound good.
Yes, my platers can do the chrome to nickel stripping...it's an easy process, just a little time consuming.

Mike
If this snare is any indication, these are really nice sounding snares. It has the classic brass Ludwig sound and is really sensitive with plenty of crack though I think the rims play into that as well. This is not a great recording by any means but it captures the essence of what this snare does live.

bonzo60

Reaction score
What a beauty! One piece shell with soldered bearing edges. The 30's brass shells should not be overlooked. Great job Mike, looks fantastic!

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That drum sounds great! Nice drumming, too!

Where the heck are you playing outside at this time of year? By some mic'-talkin', I'd say the South somewhere.

curly

Reaction score
That drum sounds great! Nice drumming, too!

Where the heck are you playing outside at this time of year? By some mic'-talkin', I'd say the South somewhere.
Thanks! That gig was about a decade ago in St Louis. That song is The Set Up by The City Champs. I’m doing my best George Sluppick impersonation.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Amazing work. It looks brand new.

I’m curious if this affects the value considering it’s vintage. I say that as if you’ve ever watched Antique Roadshow on PBS, it’s hit or miss if restoration is the right way to go to preserve its value.

Let’s face it, guitar restoration is a no-no. I’m not sure how it is with drums.