And just like that, he had a gig-Update Sept 3, 2021

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Friday I received an unexpected PM on Vintage Drum Forum from a local blues guitarist who has gigs all the time at the local breweries and restaurants. My username on VDF and BandMix are the same and after finding me on Band MIx, he found my posts on VDF, joined, and PMed me. That was a whole lot of work. His current drummer is leaving and am I interested in playing with him in a trio. Sure, says I. He has a gig five blocks from my house Saturday and we meet, go to my house, and work through a few tunes. Am I interested in a Labor Day gig? Sure. Then he leaves and emails me again. He has a gig tonight, Sunday, that he thought was a single, but they want a band. Will I do it? Sure. So now I'm sitting at work, trying to do what I was supposed to do today, my drums are in the car, and at 2:30 I'm leaving for a trio gig: guitar, stand up bass and me. No rehearsal. Never played with the bass player. I don't have a set list. I'm nervous and excited. My first gig since early last year. Brought the Gretsch RB progressive jazz set, Zildjian A Armands, and a whole lot of " I hope I know what I'm doing."

I hope your weekend is as exciting as mine!

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got a series of similar calls in December of 2013.

A working band's drummer announced that he was leaving the band. They had heard of me via word of mouth. Their current drummer was going to cover the next three gigs so that they could get a new drummer up to speed.

On Thursday night I got a call, their drummer changed his mind, he would not be at their Friday gig, could I handle it? "Um, sure."

Friday night I showed up at the venue and met the rest of the band. The singer and guitarist had seen me with another band a few years before and tracked me down. I set up my kit and they handed me a set list. There were a couple of songs that I was totally unfamiliar with. I listed to them once through on my phone, scribbled notes on the set list, and headed up on stage.

I counted in the first song and off we went. At the end of the first song they all turned around and smiled, this was going to work. I was in that band until the end of 2019, right before covid-19 hit.

That first night wasn't perfect, but the train never went off of the track.

It was a lot of fun, I hope that yours was as well.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
On Friday I received an unexpected PM on Vintage Drum Forum from a local blues guitarist who has gigs all the time at the local breweries and restaurants. My username on VDF and BandMix are the same and after finding me on Band MIx, he found my posts on VDF, joined, and PMed me. That was a whole lot of work. His current drummer is leaving and am I interested in playing with him in a trio. Sure, says I. He has a gig five blocks from my house Saturday and we meet, go to my house, and work through a few tunes. Am I interested in a Labor Day gig? Sure. Then he leaves and emails me again. He has a gig tonight, Sunday, that he thought was a single, but they want a band. Will I do it? Sure. So now I'm sitting at work, trying to do what I was supposed to do today, my drums are in the car, and at 2:30 I'm leaving for a trio gig: guitar, stand up bass and me. No rehearsal. Never played with the bass player. I don't have a set list. I'm nervous and excited. My first gig since early last year. Brought the Gretsch RB progressive jazz set, Zildjian A Armands, and a whole lot of " I hope I know what I'm doing."

I hope your weekend is as exciting as mine!
THIS is the schizzle, man! The way life should be. Good fortune to you.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it was good and it was bad. The venue was filled with people who knew all the words to the county and cumbia songs blaring over the PA system when we arrived, so they weren't really thrilled with the blues, although we did have a request for SRV. Oh well. The acoustics were awful (it was an outdoor covered stage and dance floor) and the bass player couldn't hear my bass drum (I changed beaters, but I could have used some amplification). On the other hand, the guitar player played LOUDLY, so i definitely heard him. He did drop a few beats when he "shredded" but I am too kind to point this out.

In the end, it went okay, not great. I think I can work with these guys. They usually play venues where volume isn't an issue. I'm committed to a Labor Day gig with them at a brewery located a couple of miles from my house. We'll see how that goes and make decision accordingly . Vamos a ver.

Thanks for all of the kind words and support. It sure feels good to play for a live audience.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some help with a situation. So a week after I played with this guy, I get an email that says the Labor Day weekend is cancelled due to covid. Now I work with one of the owners of the venue and I immediately knew it was not true. The gig wasn't cancelled. The guitar player is a bit dense and forgot or doesn't care that we are FB friends and he goes and places several ads for the gig. The venue is in a resort town with about 900 full time residents and about a mile from my house. Here is the heart of the matter. The bass player offered me a part for my car for free, but didn't' follow up after "the gig was cancelled." I've PMed him on FB, but with no response. I would like to go to the gig, it's free, and speak with the bass player. Is that okay? How do I handle the guitar player? Like nothing happened? Confront him? (that isn't my normal style now that I'm older...a younger me might have provoked him). Ignore him? Help.

Oh, a note, as I mentioned, he tried to 'shred' on the gig i played with him and he kept dropping beats, so I'm not really sad about not playing with him other than the money is good. He is a noted blues player in the area, but the biggest town is 40,000 people, so it ain't a large pool of talent, including me. I just want the free bumper for my 2006 jeep wrangler!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Guitar player is a typical D-bag, and that his playing is on a higher level than those he interacts with. I can bet he believes his poor performance that night was not due to any fault of 'his' own, but yours. He doesn't have the decency or basic emotional & communication skills to let you know that he didn't think it worked well - how hard is it to say, "I didn't feel the chemistry, no hard feelings, but I'm going in another direction and thanks for helping out with the gig." He'll likely continue to audtion on stage until he 'get's it right' and will settle on that drummer.

As far as the bumper, what would you have likely made for that gig? I would offer a similiar amout for the bumper and afterwards put plenty of space between you and them.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need some help with a situation. So a week after I played with this guy, I get an email that says the Labor Day weekend is cancelled due to covid. Now I work with one of the owners of the venue and I immediately knew it was not true. The gig wasn't cancelled. The guitar player is a bit dense and forgot or doesn't care that we are FB friends and he goes and places several ads for the gig. The venue is in a resort town with about 900 full time residents and about a mile from my house. Here is the heart of the matter. The bass player offered me a part for my car for free, but didn't' follow up after "the gig was cancelled." I've PMed him on FB, but with no response. I would like to go to the gig, it's free, and speak with the bass player. Is that okay? How do I handle the guitar player? Like nothing happened? Confront him? (that isn't my normal style now that I'm older...a younger me might have provoked him). Ignore him? Help.

Oh, a note, as I mentioned, he tried to 'shred' on the gig i played with him and he kept dropping beats, so I'm not really sad about not playing with him other than the money is good. He is a noted blues player in the area, but the biggest town is 40,000 people, so it ain't a large pool of talent, including me. I just want the free bumper for my 2006 jeep wrangler!
I truly believe that there are as many semi-pro musicians who are turds like that as those who are decent people. I bet half the people on this forum either had this done to them or did it to someone else. On the whole, musicians are more childish than the average person, and being a musician means many disappointing encounters with garbage humans. At least that's been my experience.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer. Hope you can get that bumper

Same here, been done to me also. Sometimes by folks should feel lucky to have me too
Keep on truckin

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds this guy is not the player he is purported to be and he is intimidated by the the fact that you have "found him out"
Hopefully you went to the gig, had your conversation with the bass player, didn't bother even acknowledging this clown and just let him be as uncomfortable as possible.