And just like that, he had a gig-Update Sept 3, 2021

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't read all the responses but it sounds to me that these guys are not listeners. All musicians need to know how to listen to each other.

If you can not hear the bass player, he's probably standing to far to the front with the bass facing forward. That needs to be fixed. The lead player should be able to hear you both and should be man enough to say something about it and ask what can we do to rearrange your placing on stage. If he even realizes the problem. If you have any say so in the future, explain; the bass player and the drummer needs to work together as if the two of you were one.

If the bass man is capable enough to lay down a steady beat, play in the grove with feeling, then you should be able to fit right in. If not, then you'll have to take over the whole engine, plus driving the train. That is, if you want to stay with them.

sherm

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They are out there, this sort of jerk.

You’re better steering clear.

If you want the bumper I suppose you could just show up to the gig and ask the bassist for it. Giving him the benefit of the doubt maybe he isn’t active as much on FB(?), but that is the humanist in me.

My tactic with folks like that guitarist is thus: I wish them joy and happiness, as long as it’s as far away from me as possible.

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds this guy is not the player he is purported to be and he is intimidated by the the fact that you have "found him out"
Hopefully you went to the gig, had your conversation with the bass player, didn't bother even acknowledging this clown and just let him be as uncomfortable as possible.
the bass player finally PMed me back just before the gig that he gave the bumper to his neighbor just last week. What a coincidence; after promising it to me and taking my card, so I didn't go to the gig. Real trash. the guitar player posted the gig on his FB page and I wrote on the comment section "Glad the gig wasn't cancelled LOL". He PMed me that "they" want a more rock drummer and this is after telling me he wants a blues drummer, not a rock drummer. I PMed back that he shouldn't have lied about the gig being cancelled. He PMed back that "no one lied." I unfriended him at that point. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Now back to my jazz combo next weekend.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I guess count your blessings that you didn't find out the really hard way what bottom feeders these guys are.

They seem like the kind of band mates that would openly hit on one's wife/girlfriend.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
the bass player finally PMed me back just before the gig that he gave the bumper to his neighbor just last week. What a coincidence; after promising it to me and taking my card, so I didn't go to the gig. Real trash. the guitar player posted the gig on his FB page and I wrote on the comment section "Glad the gig wasn't cancelled LOL". He PMed me that "they" want a more rock drummer and this is after telling me he wants a blues drummer, not a rock drummer. I PMed back that he shouldn't have lied about the gig being cancelled. He PMed back that "no one lied." I unfriended him at that point. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Now back to my jazz combo next weekend.
Jerk-o-rama. Best to be away from that situation. I betcha this guitarist is always on the hunt for a new drummer to blame and cover for his own shortcomings. Good riddance indeed!

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You, my friend, deserve better and shall have it.

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess him and the guitar player finally compared notes and the bass player figured he'd better try and head you off so you wouldn't show up and punch them both in the nose.
Not worth expending any more effort on them.
There more to life than 1-4-5!