Trumpet – Miles Davis

Recorded
in Juan les Pins, July 26, 1963.

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't recall studying the heck out of this one.

Seven Steps to Heaven is here.

Tracks: 1 So What 00:00
2 Stella By Starlight 09:55
3 Seven Steps To Heaven 24:12
4 If I Were A Bell 45:45
5 All Blues 58:29

Credits
Bass – Ron Carter
Drums – Tony Williams
Piano – Herbie Hancock
Tenor Saxophone – George Coleman
Trumpet – Miles Davis

Recorded
in Juan les Pins, July 26, 1963.
Was this a "special" release originally - import or 'private recording'? I'd never heard of it till now.

Reactions: JDA
Reaction score
Was this a "special" release originally - import or 'private recording'? I'd never heard of it till now.
I have mentioned this recording MANY times here. It was released on the JMY (Jazz Music Yesterday) label, that was only "on the shelves" for a little while before Miles' estate filed a cease and desist. They used to make a yearly sweep.

This was the same label that issued "No Blues," both are ESSENTIAL. This might be even more historically "important" because there aren't many other live recordings with Big George (except for the obvious Carnegie recordings.) And those recordings were made under (shall we say) duress. So they might not be the ideal "document" of that specific band (great as they are.)

But there are MANY boots and recordings of the "Great Quintet." But (musically, and drumming wise) No Blues is IT (!!!!!!!!) for me. There is another great JMY recording (actually two of them) of the Miles band with Ndugu, Bartz, Jarrett that is amazing, I think it has been re-released "officially." I have been listening to that one every day for the last 5 years or so. AMAZING!!!!!!

If you ever run across a CD labeled as being released by JMY, just buy it. They are all great quality, and of significant musical importance, and usually from French radio broadcasts. There is a GREAT one of the Archie Shepp band on the same tour as the No Blues CD. Cool to hear that (unrecorded band) and hear what Miles and Tony were hearing every night during the tour. I think their music affected Tony and Miles a good deal.

There is also a Duke one with Rufus Speedy Jones that is QUITE good!

And yet again, Paul nails the photo credit and Tony's drums, that's a shot from Newport.

Whats up bud (Paul,) hope all is well!

MSG

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea the intermisson song is somewhere in there too;

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agitation (M. Davis) 0:00 Footprints (W. Shorter) 6:35 'Round Midnight (B. Hanighen-C. Williams-T. Monk) 16:48 No Blues (M. Davis) 25:11 Masqualero (W. Shorter) 38:12 I Fall in Love Too Easily (S. Cahn-J. Styne) 48:22 Riot (H. Hancock) 58:57 Walkin' (R. Carpenter) 1:02:36 On Green Dolphin Street (N. Washington-B. Kaper) 1:11:37 The Theme (M. Davis) 1:20:42

November 6, 1967 Salle Pleyel, Paris, France

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
“I have mentioned this recording MANY times here. It was released on the JMY (Jazz Music Yesterday) label, that was only "on the shelves" for a little while before Miles' estate filed a cease and desist. They used to make a yearly sweep.”

more duplication by the OP; hmmmm……