And to end 2020, I won't be touching my sticks again!

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was using a Stanley Razor Straight-edge carpet knife cutting into a poster board last night and in the blink of an eye the knife slipped from the groove of the aluminum straight edge and sliced the tip of my left hand index finger 3/4's of the way off. Ya know the feeling of something like this when the pain comes a bit later after the incident...BLINDING PAIN! Well with Hospitals all dealing with Covid patients, I did not want to go burden them for stitches so I did what I could for the next 40 minutes to stop the bleeding, disinfect the wound and bandage it up at home. Of course the throbbing for hours led me to take pain killer, but the finger pain has stopped overnight. I can't bend the index finger cause it is sore and bandaged pretty tight. I'm hoping it heals by the New Year and though I have no gigs penciled in, I need to pick up my sticks again at some point. I guess the point of me telling you all this is this, I'm still breathing and able to write this, so 'this too shall pass' and all in all, it could have been worse so I am thankful for that. And hopefully, when you have some misfortune come along you can pull through to see the good things in your life as well and carry on from there. Peace all!

Attachments

• A14C153E-1B3D-4AF7-86A8-CE91E0E1DFC3.jpeg
    A14C153E-1B3D-4AF7-86A8-CE91E0E1DFC3.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 97

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch!

I know how painful that can be be. I insisted on helping my wife prepare for a party and decided to cut fruit on a mandolin cutter, and yeah, I slipped, and cut the tip of my my index finger off. No immediate pain, like you, but then it came and throbbed like a SOB, and I bled like a pig as well, but, the party went on!!! I almost passed out after the party though, I guess a bit of shock...and alcohol did it!

Hope that heals up for you soon. It’s not so bad if you don’t look at it for awhile. But you should get to a doctor soon and get her stitched up. Good luck!

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep it clean...I'm a career restaurant owner..had many bad cuts over the years..only went for stitches once after picking a piece of my finger out of the garbage can...long story..they heal fine if you take care of them..you may lose some feeling in it..I have two fingers that don't have full feeling in the tips..fun times..take care..

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was bitten by a moray eel once. They have teeth like razors. Cut my right index finger down to the bone. It took months to heal. That was nearly 20 years ago. I still have the scar and permanent nerve damage.
May you recover quickly.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I chopped left finger tip off with an axe. Not even swinging it, just picking it up and letting it fall to clear out the last few stringers of oak holding two pieces together. Diagonal from about midway to the opposite front corner of the nail. Just a flap of skin holding it on.

They told me I'd lose it. It took anyway. For about a year or more I had pressure sensation but not light touch (or maybe vice versa. Don't remember). At any rate, I'd long since resigned that this was as good as it was from here out. One day I felt a sharp stab of pain in it for no particular reason and it all started working again. Like the pop when you plug in a 1/4" phone plug.

Give it time.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As others have said, you need to go to the ER, or at least an immediate care facility.

We had to take my 92 year old Mother-in-Law to the ER a week ago, and the waiting room was deserted! I think that many people are staying away out of fear of the virus.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
As for pain - not until my hands began to thaw out a bit. But .. a few weeks later I was walking barefoot in the house and stubbed my pinky toe and it hurt WAY worse than chopping my fingertip off with an axe. Pain is not a reliable indicator of injury severity.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
If you need sutures, the longer you wait, the more difficult it will be. At a certain point of swelling, numbing agent is no longer as effective.

as a kid, I reached for a big oak door just as somebody slammed it. Severed the end of my ring finger, but they were able to suture it back on. Looks a little funky, but it has sensation and works fine. I still get chills in my belly when I think of it.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch. As a younger man I consistently cut, chopped, and sliced my fingers quite frequently. It will heal, but, as my dear departed mother would have said, "Be careful out there, especially with knives."

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ouch...hope all is well and will be well.
Sorry though....not a good enough excuse......you still have a hand and two feet....
Ever hear of Rick Allen?
Many years ago I had bursitis in my left elbow....modded the kit, rearranged my drum parts, and went on tour with one arm. This was no big deal as I "drop" or substitute a limb quite often when practising. I'm sure all of us at one time have had to keep on going with one hand for a bit after breaking or dropping a stick.....
Same thing a couple of years ago.....hairline fracture in my right tibia.....played bd with left foot.
Sometimes these things can be a blessing in disguise.
Take care!!!
bt

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was helping a friend with a laser show at Electric Forest a few years ago. He had an idea to use plastic storage bins as covers for the lasers. If you've ever tried cutting through that kind of plastic, the knife can give you resistance, then all of a sudden start flying through the material...

Well, he was cutting it and his hand was on the other side, and the blade started to cut faster than he thought, right across his palm. Really nasty looking, like the Taun Taun scene in Empire Strikes Back.

I finished up the install, he was out of commission for a while trying to get to a hopsital. The lasers were really cool and I got to see REO and had full site access. Saw some sights...

He's the same guy who got his left index finger caught in the chains of a hoist, the night before a show, where he was to play bass, in front of a packed house, in the band I was in and promoting...fun times lol.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
25 years ago i crushed the end of my right index finger off. i made the ER sew it back on. 9 months later it was healed. after 10 years feeling came back and it works just fine. Working construction i sliced and smashed fingers and hands. they all healed and work just fine. 12 years ago my right flat foot went inverted. did not have it fixed. walk with cains and a limp but foot is very fast on the bass drum and gas pedal. saw a drummer in GC in the late 80's had been in a fire. all his fingers had the last joint missing. he asked for a pair of sticks and played so good i thought about how i have all my finger parts and cant even come close to playing as good as him. you can always find a way even if you are in pain. i am in really bad paing with my right knee, i tore the menisucs. OUCH !

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words. I did go to the Urgent Care the next morning, she said I will lose the tip. I am praying that doesn't happen. So far I keep cleaning it and bandaging but it's too soon yet to tell.
make them sew it up. wrap it. DO NOT get it wet for a few weeks. Wrap it in plastic and only shower no bath. DO NOT get it wet ! I crushed the end of mine completely off. It was flatter than a piece of paper. I made the ER sew it back on. that was 25 years ago. It still on and been wet many times after the stitches came out. BUT I can pick my nose with it. seriously i have to use my little finger for bugger digging.