Angling Cymbals away from you??

J

jaymandude

I first noticed it with the gospel drummers, and I'm thinking maybe because they all seem to sit so high. So it was a way of finding an angle that allowed them to use their stroke or style.

It's become a " thing". My opinion doesn't matter.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the trend aspect, but Chad Gamble (Jason Isbell's drummer) is a friend. He angles his left side crash this way so it's still low and doesn't whack into his rack tom's microphone. I know this because I asked.

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jordan Blue said:
It's the new Hipster trend in drumming. Drums and cymbals angled away from you.
I don't know what to say about tilted-away cymbals; never seen it until this thread.

However, tilting the drums away, I can see the hipster appeal there ... you see it in old photos of jazz guys from the 20's/30's.
(I waiting to see a row of temple blocks across the bass drum make a comeback).

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's a way to get more power out of a cymbal, when setting up low and mostly flat, without raising the hands much.

SKINZ

Reaction score
I Angle mine in fusion like I can play top sides of cymals ALL over the 0 and it projects OUT play cymbal like a DRUM

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm going home tonight and turn all my cymbals upside down. If angled out is cool, then upside down is Miles Davis.

Kendrum

Reaction score
Fun 2 Drum said:
This way the first guy I noticed doing it. I personally hate it.
Is it just me or is everything extremely low in this picture, including the throne? It looks to me like he must be sitting down in a hole.
In this picture Kevin Murphy is using a 26" bass drum. So yeah he looks lower than he actually is.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Ken08 said:
This way the first guy I noticed doing it. I personally hate it.
Is it just me or is everything extremely low in this picture, including the throne? It looks to me like he must be sitting down in a hole.
In this picture Kevin Murphy is using a 26" bass drum. So yeah he looks lower than he actually is.

Ah. So that one up tom must be a 14 because it looks proportional to the bass drum. I think that with this setup putting so much distance between him and his outer cymbals, if he wanted the cymbals to be low like that then he pretty much had to angle those outward in order to reach the edges over the tops of the inner cymbals. I acknowledge that the way I worded that may seem like nonsense but if you think about his setup given the huge drums and everything low like that, it's sort of necessary to angle those particular cymbals outward. Otherwise he'd be whacking the closer cymbal along with the outer one or only striking it on top with the tip of the stick. I think the whole thing is still necessesitated by desiring a low appearance with a big-drum set. It does indeed give him a unique drum look, and I suppose there's something to be said about that these days. I don't think I could play a whole set on that kit without pulling a muscle.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Tommy D said:
It's the new Hipster trend in drumming. Drums and cymbals angled away from you.

Considering how low everything is set up, they have to be angled away otherwise he would be hitting the drums and cymbals with the very end of the tip of his sticks. Not a good sound.

I don't agree with the setup. I think it was more an effort "to be different" than making something that is ergonomically correct...
I just noticed after my previous post about a different set that you had already made basically the same point here. I like the way you worded yours better though!

Moonman

Reaction score
I can't speak to the trend aspect, but Chad Gamble (Jason Isbell's drummer) is a friend. He angles his left side crash this way so it's still low and doesn't whack into his rack tom's microphone. I know this because I asked.
This is exactly what I suspected. I had the same problem when I started using larger crashes, 20 in the main slot over my first rack tom. It just got in the way of my natural strike zone. Sure, I could've bought another attachment to extend the tom farther away from my stand or buy a boom stand, but just tried to find a way that didn't cost anything at the time. I also suspected the majority of people doing it were doing so because it's "different" and trendy. Logic led me back to "it probably started with a functional purpose" and was imitated or used by others to look "hip." I bet there's a bit of truth to nearly all the posts in this thread.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Chad Gamble has been doing this for a while now and I see a bunch of Gospel/R&B cats doing it as well. I always assumed it was tilted away so they could have their cymbals really low but still be able to strike the edge of the it for a more powerful sound.

I assumed this as well. In fact I was playing a backlined kit where the rummer didn't want much changed with his stand heights, had to angle the cymbals away from me to hit the edges cleanly.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
This girl is awesome and plays so well - a great job IMO, but I still can't figure out this Byzance ride tipped away from her. Is it just me or could it just be on another kit facing her (ie: bass to bass)?

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no clue why she has that cymbal way out there. Maybe another person in the band plays it on other songs so it's a compromise of sorts.

What she desperately needs is a rug. That hi hat stand kept walking away on her.