Another Bonham Thread?

Chayro

Reaction score
I came across this video and I thought it would be interesting to see the real Bonham in his prime, rather than the reading and romanticizing that's so easy to fall into. In sharp contrast to the overproduced shows of today, this concert could have gone on in someone's basement. Just 4 guys on stage. But you can really see the human and superhuman aspects of Bonham's playing. It wasn't all loud either. Take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geostorm98

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This cut is on the Zep DVD 'How the West was Won" - well acquainted with it. Bonzo is at his fighting weight here!

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I f someone finds those conga's. Like them/ make/ finish/
I'm surprised they haven't been on ebay for 10 thousand bucks
yet to date
haven't seen them

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Geostorm98 said:
This cut is on the Zep DVD 'How the West was Won" - well acquainted with it. Bonzo is at his fighting weight here!
Actually the DVD is just called "Led Zeppelin." "How the West Was Won" is a 3 CD audio set from June 1972. The confusion comes about from them being released at the same time and the DVD not having an obvious title.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Osahead2 said:
Both nice but...

This 1965 recording puts Max Roach & his RB Gretsch kit way before Jon Bonham... thanks JDA.
not sure you're aware of this, but Bonham quotes Max in his solos..

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's is the Royal Albert Hall. They open that one up with "We're Gonna Groove" So good. I must have watched that solo a dozen times but it never gets old. That young man had a lot of energy...come to think of it he can't be more than 24 here. Imagine playing like that at 24? Give Max his own damn thread.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bonham was always quick to note his influences. Nothing wrong with us mentioning them in his topic.

Geostorm98

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
tdcrjeff said:
Actually the DVD is just called "Led Zeppelin." "How the West Was Won" is a 3 CD audio set from June 1972. The confusion comes about from them being released at the same time and the DVD not having an obvious title.
I just looked at mine and stand corrected. Adding to the confusion is that the cover of 'DVD' features a desert western look to it. It's a great package at any rate.

Geostorm98

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nacci said:
Pretty sure that's is the Royal Albert Hall. They open that one up with "We're Gonna Groove" So good. I must have watched that solo a dozen times but it never gets old. That young man had a lot of energy...come to think of it he can't be more than 24 here. Imagine playing like that at 24? Give Max his own damn thread.
Yes, it's Royal Albert Hall January 9,1970. The band was barely a year old. Bonham was 21.

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
You gotta see this. He nails that solo. It's very impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^ I thought you were joking. I didn't expect that. Wow.

Latest posts