Another Buddy Video, 1971 with Fibes snare in action!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've watched endless Buddy Rich videos on Youtube but somehow this one had escaped my viewing until just now, when it popped up on the home page as a video I might like. And Youtube was right. I like d it. Not sure how I missed it before since it was posted 4 years ago.

Buddy seems to have been in a little different mood that night as this solo isn't his typical WSS solo. At the very end he goes back to his usual schtick to bring the band in but prior to that it seems a bit different to his usual (although always great) solo performance. I'm sure some nights he just went through the motions and other nights he was motivated to show off something different. This appears to be one of those latter nights.

Also, dig that snappy snare sound. You never get a great look at the snare but towards the end you can see the top of the SFT throw off and the squared off lugs. Fibes baby! He's using his notorious Fibes snare here with his Slingerland drums. Fiberglass! Yet another reason to check out this video...

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, that left hand! Goodness, he can play a solo better than most with just that left hand.

Second, that perfect buzz roll! Flawless.

Third, that snare was pretty special. Wow, kind of bordered on a marching snare.

I agree, that was a pretty different solo for Buddy. I never saw it before either. I wonder who was getting the evil eye in the band? Man he just kept staring over. Thanks for sharing!

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm always amazed at how high Buddy's snare drum was when we get the "behind the kit" view. It always seemed like a low-slung kit until you get that different view which shows everything higher than believed. Buddy sure was in a mood that night.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever Buddy's name comes up, his detractors will say that he was all about chops, and that's all he was about. This solo proves otherwise.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to be overlooked his right foot is quick and nimble. But yes, that left hand leaves me speechless!!
Coy

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really good clips!

The snare in that first clip is so articulate, no place to hide playing flaws.
I was really impressed by Buddy's transitions, from idea to idea, rudiments/singles to doubles/phrases/musicality/speed/dynamics... Certainly something to aspire to!

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, that left hand! Goodness, he can play a solo better than most with just that left hand.

Third, that snare was pretty special. Wow, kind of bordered on a marching snare.

I agree, that was a pretty different solo for Buddy. I never saw it before either. I wonder who was getting the evil eye in the band? Man he just kept staring over. Thanks for sharing!
The player sitting right next to him on his left was looking at the floor, not at Buddy, which I’ve read was required during a solo. Could this be it?

Last edited:

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

He did that a lot. I think he may not be staring anybody down, though he did on occasion, as much as he would actually get into a sort of inward meditative musical trance. Check out how he doesn't always look at his drums during his solos. He seems to be in a zone.

Speechless, yes!

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember stories floating of Buddy having his Slingerland snares lined with fiberglass/resin for added projection and volume maybe even gone as far as having a fiberglass shell made outfitting with Slingerland hardware.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I remember stories floating of Buddy having his Slingerland snares lined with fiberglass/resin for added projection and volume maybe even gone as far as having a fiberglass shell made outfitting with Slingerland hardware.
Maybe, I think they called that process "vibrafibe" and it was something that Neil Peart had done to some of his drums (probably not the DWs). Not sure if Buddy would have done that or not. He briefly used a whole set of Fibes and quickly moved on as he didn't like the sound of those fiberglass shells, although, apparently he loved the sound of the fiberglass snare drum, to the point that he risked the ire of Slingerland by using one instead of one of the snares he was supposed to be helping to sell.

I think Krupa had a Fibes shell outfitted with Slingerland hardware at one point, but Slingerland found out and made him stop using it.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Krupa had a Fibes shell outfitted with Slingerland hardware at one point, but Slingerland found out and made him stop using it.
That was a Rogers. Gene had someone fit Slingerland lugs onto a wood Dyna-Sonic shell and snare system, but the oversized snare gates were a dead giveaway, and when Slingerland found out about it Gene had to go back to using his trusty Radio King.

Regarding Buddy's Fibes snare in that first video, when I bought my Vistalite kit in 1973 I ordered it with a Fibes SFT690 snare instead of a clear Vistalite snare (those things went "boiiing!") strictly because I saw photos of Buddy using a Fibes snare with his Slingerland kit. I knew how finicky Buddy was about snare drums, and I figured that if he went to all the bother of jeopardizing his endorser agreement with Slingerland just so he could use a Fibes snare drum, the drum must be pretty frickin' great. And indeed it was. I always had mine tensioned up in the stratosphere, like Buddy did, and in fact, it sounded pretty much just like Buddy's drum does in that video. (My drum, not my playing.)

Last edited:

Skeet6

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incredible. Not at ALL a formulaic Buddy solo, of which I have hundreds. He is truly amazing. And yes! Fibes. :)
Mike B

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
That was a Rogers. Gene had someone fit Slingerland lugs onto a wood Dyna-Sonic shell and snare system, but the oversized snare gates were a dead giveaway, and when Slingerland found out about it Gene had to go back to using his trusty Radio King.

Regarding Buddy's Fibes snare in that first video, when I bought my Vistalite kit in 1973 I ordered it with a Fibes SFT690 snare instead of a clear Vistalite snare (those things went "boiiing!") strictly because I saw photos of Buddy using a Fibes snare with his Slingerland kit. I knew how finicky Buddy was about snare drums, and I figured that if he went to all the bother of jeopardizing his endorser agreement with Slingerland just so he could use a Fibes snare drum, the drum must be pretty frickin' great. And indeed it was. I always had mine tensioned up in the stratosphere, like Buddy did, and in fact, it sounded pretty much just like Buddy's drum does in that video. (My drum, not my playing.)
I knew about the Rogers but thought Gene also worked a Fibes into the mix at some point a bit later on. Possibly a pre-Fibes Gauso prototype shell. But it's tough to keep all these stories straight. I seem to recall that Louie might also have dabbled with a Fibes snare at some point, but again it's hard to keep all this info straight.

I have a Fibes COF (missing the SFT throw and the correct butt) and a clear acrylic version of the same drum (original and complete) and they are definitely nice sounding snares, particularly with the SFT in place.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
minority opinion: While I very much like this unusual BR solo, nicely crafted and love the dynamics, the Fibes snare as tuned/played doesn't do much for me, although it's all personal. A bit too tight for my taste, I miss some of the fullness and warmth.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
minority opinion: While I very much like this unusual BR solo, nicely crafted and love the dynamics, the Fibes snare as tuned/played doesn't do much for me, although it's all personal. A bit too tight for my taste, I miss some of the fullness and warmth.
I'm not sure that would be my optimal personal tuning either but it does seem to be how Buddy liked his snares to sound and his Fibes definitely delivered that rat a tat tat sound.