Another Buddy Video, 1971 with Fibes snare in action!

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that would be my optimal personal tuning either but it does seem to be how Buddy liked his snares to sound and his Fibes definitely delivered that rat a tat tat sound.
Interesting. I was thinking "military."

Can you imagine BR sitting in on Don Henley's kit in the 70s? :)

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Same here. Oftentimes his snare sounds too tight and almost choked to me. Sometimes it sounds amazingly good - "fullness and warmth" (agreed).

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
minority opinion: While I very much like this unusual BR solo, nicely crafted and love the dynamics, the Fibes snare as tuned/played doesn't do much for me, although it's all personal. A bit too tight for my taste, I miss some of the fullness and warmth.
Buddy always had his snares too tight against the bottom head for my taste. When he plays softer strokes you can hear how the snares are choking the bottom head. That's one of the reasons I always thought he sounded best while a Rogers endorser — he could tighten the snare wires on his Dyna-Sonic but still keep the snare unit from choking the head.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I suppose when you can do what he could do and your career depends on being able to convey that talent to people who are paying to see it in action, including those in the back of the room,that perhaps articulation where every note is very distinct might gain importance over the overall sound.

I believe Buddy stated, at least once, that you don't tune drums, you tension them, his philosophy anyway.

His Radio King he was using the last few years had a fatter sound. Whether that was his goal at the time or simply due to the limitations of that much older design is probably anybody's guess.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buddy always had his snares too tight against the bottom head for my taste. When he plays softer strokes you can hear how the snares are choking the bottom head. That's one of the reasons I always thought he sounded best while a Rogers endorser — he could tighten the snare wires on his Dyna-Sonic but still keep the snare unit from choking the head.
The Fibes SFT 690 was just as sensitive and a whole lot easier to tweak than the Dyna.
That's part of the reason Buddy was using a Fibes even when he was a Rogers endorser.

More Fibes and Buddy

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
minority opinion: While I very much like this unusual BR solo, nicely crafted and love the dynamics, the Fibes snare as tuned/played doesn't do much for me, although it's all personal. A bit too tight for my taste, I miss some of the fullness and warmth.
- The snare seems a little hot in the mix, like it's right next to one, close mic'd, and the kick is in the next room, picked up by an overhead. That may have been because of the engineer/sound person.

Ralph27

Reaction score
Not of this earth! All four of my limbs combined couldn't match his one hand! Love it

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ed Sullivan: "In those days your roommate was a young band vocalist... Frank Sinatra."

Buddy: "Yeah. Whatever happened to him?"

Classic Buddy.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fibes SFT 690 was just as sensitive and a whole lot easier to tweak than the Dyna.
That's part of the reason Buddy was using a Fibes even when he was a Rogers endorser.
I used a Fibes SFT690 from '73 through '77, and I currently own a reissue wood Dyna-Sonic. Although the SFT690 was more sensitive than it had a right to be considering how flat-out powerful it was, it was nowhere near as responsive as my Dyna-Sonic is when it's properly adjusted. However, you're 100% right that the Dyna-Sonic is a righteous PITA to tweak. My best advice is that once you have a Dyna sounding and responding how you like it, leave everything alone! The more you futz with it trying to get that last 2% of creamy goodness out of it, the more likely that you'll simply muck up the whole thing and have to start over. (I've had to do this three or four times in the last year.) The good news is that once you start over and follow the instructions included with the drum — yep, it has an instruction manual! — you can get the Dyna back to maximum responsiveness in very short order.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I loved the way Buddy sounded on six ply Ludwig sets from the 80's. He would use a brass (or maybe a bronze) snare that sounded fantastic and not choked at all to me. While it was super cool seeing Buddy on a vintage Radio King set, I think the snare almost sounded a little too boxy for my liking. This is the sound I love.