***Another crappy cell phone video with reworked snare beds*** Started building my solid Cuban Mahogany snare drum shell.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks so far guys for all the help and the videos. I ordered all the hardware except for the rims yesterday. Went all chrome with a Pearl SR017 throw, 2 3/8 "tube lugs and some Aquarian American Vintage heads.
Now I need to cut the edges. I'm real handy with woodwork as I build cabinets and furniture but I've never routed edges before. Any help for a thick drum would be appreciated. I plan on a rounded 45 on to and 45's on snare side. I am not sure how close to the outside edge of the drum to start the 45 angle on batter side? Any suggestions?

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here are some pics of bearing edges. I went with double 45. I think I put the outside edge far enough in. I can always modify later.
Also laid out where my tube lugs will go. Will wait until I receive them to drill.
Next step is cut the snare bed. How deep should I go? I can look at my JF for a template but I thought I would ask.
20210719_154045.jpg
20210719_152253.jpg
20210719_152238.jpg

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it were me I would seriously consider Tommy's advice on further turning down the center portion of the shell leaving integrated rings and probably imparting a more woody fuller tone.
I'm not sure if that would be better done before deciding a final depth or after...

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
Here are some pics of bearing edges. I went with double 45. I think I put the outside edge far enough in. I can always modify later.
Also laid out where my tube lugs will go. Will wait until I receive them to drill.
Next step is cut the snare bed. How deep should I go? I can look at my JF for a template but I thought I would ask. View attachment 509160 View attachment 509161 View attachment 509162
Snare beds seem to be between 2mm and 3mm in depth. 2.7mm might actually be the sweet spot because I've seen many with that measurement.

I cut my own snare beds on an old Ludwig marching drum. The end result was very good because I took my time. I first marked out the width. Something like 5-6" wide, give or take. I took my time with a file, and later with sandpaper, always checking the gap on a glass stovetop, and shining light through the shell.

Last edited:

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just drilled the holes for the lugs. Installed the lugs and dry fitted a couple hoops and heads with screws so I could check how she tuned up. So far I am impressed. Next, I will cut snare beds and install throw off and vent grommet.
Here are a couple pics so far.

Attachments

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm hurrying :icon_lol:
I just finished drilling for vent, butt and throw off. Also, cut my snare beds 3mm deep and about 3" wide to accommodate 42 strand wires (Hopefully I didn't go too deep). But the mounting screws were not long enough for thick shell so I guess I am off to the HW store to get some longer ones...

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok...here is a crappy cell phone video comparing this new snare with a Ludwug LM402 and a Jazz Festival.
IMO...as expected the Cuban Mahogany snare is darker. But I must say, it still is pretty crisp. It really has some tone.
Here are some pics and a YT link.
20210802_104728.jpg
20210802_104717.jpg

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder why the snares are rattling so much on your newly built drum. Hope it's not snare bed related though surely they can be redone if need be. Maybe it's the 42 strand snares.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder why the snares are rattling so much on your newly built drum. Hope it's not snare bed related though surely they can be redone if need be. Maybe it's the 42 strand snares.
I didn't really notice when playing but I just figured it's the wide snares. Like snare buzz...I don't think t will ever be heard out front. I'm not sure of the affects of a deeper snare bed? After reading, most people recommended 2-3mm so I went with 3. But as you said...I can always cut my edges again and leave the snare bed the same which would make it shallower.
I must say that I LOVE the attack and response. To me it is a much more tonal snare than the others. I do like the crispness of the 402 that I have but this one brings something else. It definitely is much fatter.
As far as comparing to the JF...to me this new one sounds more pleasing. But again...everything is subjective and honestly, no one in the audience could give a rip.
I think I will leave the depth alone for now. I don't want to cut it down and wish I hadn't.

bernard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok...here is a crappy cell phone video comparing this new snare with a Ludwug LM402 and a Jazz Festival.
IMO...as expected the Cuban Mahogany snare is darker. But I must say, it still is pretty crisp. It really has some tone.
Here are some pics and a YT link.
View attachment 511105 View attachment 511106
Very nicely done, congrats to a unique and sweet looking drum!

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok...I touched up my snare beds a little and swapped to 20 strand wires. Much less snare rattle now. I am VERY impressed and must say that playing it in person is a joy. A lot of body and tone that I have never got from my LM402 or JF. Also...has a really wide tuning range and when tuned up real high...I am surprised at the attack and crisp pop without the darkness that one would expect from this shell. But I would hardly ever play it that way because I wanted a fat drum
Here is another crappy cell phone video. Keep in mind that I am playing with no muffle to take out the ring.
I'm sorry for the audio quality. I guess I need to break out the drum mics and recorder but I'm not sure how to impose that into a video? I guess I could simply post a sound file?

Last edited: