Another Cult Classic: Who plays Paiste 2000?

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
bodinski said:
Heavy 14" SR hats & a 22" SR ride here. I had a 17" SR crash that I traded away before I really got Paistes. Wish I still had it!
Nice I also have 14" Heavy hats as well as a medium pair. In my opinion the 2000's are some of the nicest B8 pies Paiste has ever made.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have one 2000. A year and a half ago a friend went to an estate sale. She texted me saying they had a drum set for $50. I asked for a pic. She sent one; Entry level drums with brass cymbals. The only thing in the pic that I saw I wanted was a nice Tama cymbal stand. Told her thanks but I'll pass. Texted me 10 minutes later said lady wants it gone, $25. I said what the heck, get it.
Imagine my surprise when I got to work (she and I worked at the same place) and she handed me a 16" Paiste 2000 Crash that her pic missed. To me that alone was worth the $25.
A little darker than I expected but nonetheless I get a lot of compliments from other drummers, along the lines of "Wow! I didn't expect that kuch sound from a 16" crash!"

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to have a 22in 505 Ride but was frustrated that it always seemed to get away from me because it was too resonant. As bright and cutting as it was, the stick definition was too lost in the white wash of Paistiness.

Took a chance on a 20in SR Ride and in regards to the variables mentioned above, it was perfect....and I love it. I play it with 404s or 505s.

Black Label

Reaction score
I use a 2000 10" splash - it is quite beaten up but still sounds great. Mounted upside down on my chinese. It is a very thin splash and has a very quick response and decay.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I just picked up a cracked 20" SR crash, an easy fix with a step-bit & Dremel.
It's definitely interesting, kinda loose at the edges & trashy - quite unlike the 17 that got away & has lots of tones in it, depending on where struck.
Here she is with her cousin, a 20" 3000 Power that underwent similar surgery.

repaired pair.jpg

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
bodinski said:
It's definitely interesting, kinda loose at the edges & trashy - quite unlike the 17 that got away & has lots of tones in it, depending on where struck.

attachicon.gif
repaired pair.jpg
Nice fix job. I'd love to hear a sound file. It cant be that far off from a new one.

Al Chonder

Reaction score
I lost my old cymbals to theft. That was some 30 years ago. I had a variety of Paistes, and a couple of A Zildjians (12" splash, 18" high china). The Paistes I had: 1000 18" rude crash-ride, 1000 18" crash, 2000 18" mellow china, 2000 20" ride, 3000 18" rude crash-ride, 3000 20" heavy ride, 2002 18" crash. They all had a sound I liked, but if I could, I believe I would do over with all 2000s. The ride had perfect wash, and decay for the quiet songs. It had a perfect bell and decay for everything. It was warm, and... hell, listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and you'll hear what I mean. The mellow china IMHO was the best china to ever tickle my ears. I used to do my worst Bill Bruford with that thing. It was loud without being obnoxious. I imagine the PST7 line might do just as well. Haven't heard any except for the hats. My son has 'em on his kit, and they sound pretty damn good!

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across a 2000 power ride 20, I'm tempted to get it. I already have a 20 & 22 Paiste 2002 rides (actually i have 16 Paiste cymbals, 11 are 2002s)
Been using 2002 since the 70s. Started with zildjian, but even though I'm not a heavy hitter, they started cracking around the bells, so I think in 1977i switched to Paiste 2002. I have 6 from around 1985 that I still use, and never had a problem with any of the Paiste cymbals regardless of which line.
Just about any would be worth having, especially if you get a good deal.

Last edited:

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a guy on Minneapolis craigslist selling a ride for $175 and wants to throw in his polish for it to.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 352094
I've actually never had or encountered a cracked Paiste, but I've experienced personally cracked zildjian, even though I'm not a heavy player. That's why I switched to Paiste, plus I figured, if John Bonham and Alex Van Halen played them, I'll play them, and have been playing 2002s since I think it was 1977. And 8 (eight) of my 2002s are 35 years old and no damage.

Bri6366

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've actually never had or encountered a cracked Paiste, but I've experienced personally cracked zildjian, even though I'm not a heavy player. That's why I switched to Paiste, plus I figured, if John Bonham and Alex Van Halen played them, I'll play them, and have been playing 2002s since I think it was 1977. And 8 (eight) of my 2002s are 35 years old and no damage.

I was in the same boat. Back in the mid 80s, I cracked a couple of nice Zildjian Medium-Thin Crashes. By that time, I had realized that drummers like Bonzo and Alex played Paiste. I picked up a couple of RUDE's because I figured they were the most durable and were designed for the high volume drummer. They served me well, but 2002s were really the sound I was looking for.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat. Back in the mid 80s, I cracked a couple of nice Zildjian Medium-Thin Crashes. By that time, I had realized that drummers like Bonzo and Alex played Paiste. I picked up a couple of RUDE's because I figured they were the most durable and were designed for the high volume drummer. They served me well, but 2002s were really the sound I was looking for.
I'm really not a heavy player, i still have sticks 35 years old.
I actually played one pair of promark 5a for twenty years
I think I've only broken one stick, and that was because of the grain not me, and only one snare head in 35 years. I actually broke a bass head once, but that was due to the beater not me either.
So, I really don't know how i cracked two zildjians back when I was like 13 years old. I switched to 2002s and never had a problem since. Pretty sure it was in 1977, but could have been 1976, but I think 77.
My first drum set was a Ludwig stainless steel set. I've had many sets since then up til i finally decided to order my dream set.
8 piece Tama Star Walnut with matching snare. All special order depths. I waited 5 months for delivery, it was hard waiting but they are a work of art. Hand made and hand finished inside and out. Beautiful. And the tom mounts are the best idea I've come across.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember liking the thin crash, or was it just called crash.

I have a 20'' cymbal that looks similar to a 2000 Reflections ride - but is in fact a vintage Giant Beat I polished too much...! To my defense, it did look terrible when I found it, but I should have used just a gentle liquid cleaner instead of Neverdull.

Seriously, it might be interesting to compare larger 2000 crashes and GBs.
edit: 2000 isn't that far off here:

Last edited:

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember liking the thin crash, or was it just called crash.

I have a 20'' cymbal that looks similar to a 2000 Reflections ride - but is in fact a vintage Giant Beat I polished too much...! To my defense, it did look terrible when I found it, but I should have used just a gentle liquid cleaner instead of Neverdull.

Seriously, it might be interesting to compare larger 2000 crashes and GBs.
edit: 2000 isn't that far off here:
I've taken care of that. Also have a video of 18" GB vs 2OOO vs 5o5 if you're curious.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Weird this popped back up today. I picked up my first 2000 yesterday. Haven’t had a chance to try it out yet, but my 404 made me more curious about mid level paiste and I’ve never had a “western” china before
D8E33B9D-4E4F-4611-934E-FCE627ACB5C8.jpeg