Another dream snare - Pearl Masterworks Rosewood

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been interested in trying to get one of these in 6.5 for a while. Apparently after doing some research, these were extremely limited, made around 2000. Finding out how many were made of the 6.5 and 5 sizes.

This is the Pearl masterworks rosewood. 4 ply with 4 ply re-rings from rosewood or mahogany. Waiting on confirmation on that. Many of you know my love for rosewood drums and this one is finally going to be mine! I lucked out and found one from a collector who is recently downsizing.

Gold hardware on this one. Never had gold hardware but I think it pops on this drum.

Can't wait to get it in!

IMG_20200716_223415_444.jpg

IMG_20200716_223415_441.jpg

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very pretty drum , that gold hardware takes some extra effort to keep looking good .

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fantastic! I've seen one in 14x5 back when they were new and the inside is too beautiful to hide under a coated head! (almost)

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Andy,
Have you owned or checked out the Gretcsh Rosewood snare.
You have me interested in one now. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on one.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Andy,
Have you owned or checked out the Gretcsh Rosewood snare.
You have me interested in one now. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on one.
Yes I have! I had it before my Tama rosewood. I can't recommend the 14x6.5 enough. Excellent, top notch snare those Gretsch ones are!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got both sizes in this series: 5.5x14 and 6/5x14. I ordered them brand new back in or around 2002/03-ish. I used to have a huge collection of Tama Rosewoods (probably 12-13 drums of all era's and some very rare ones) and I sold them all because the Pearl Rosewoods sounded and played so much nicer. Here's a picture of my 5.5x14.
IMG_20200411_190154693.jpg
IMG_20200411_190300275_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20200411_190400319.jpg
IMG_20200411_190433014.jpg

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
P.S. Put a Remo Coated Reverse Dot CS on that drum and it will blow your mind!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have to find my 6.5x14 and I will take a few pictures of it. These drums are pretty hard to come by these days. I haven't seen one for sale for many years. Where did you find yours?

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have to find my 6.5x14 and I will take a few pictures of it. These drums are pretty hard to come by these days. I haven't seen one for sale for many years. Where did you find yours?
Exact head I usually use! I saw a guy had one on fb in his collection and simply messaged him about it. Turns out he was actually starting to downsize and that was one he said make an offer for. I don't think he ever played the thing. He has a huge pearl collection. So I lucked out!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are the re rings on these rosewood or mahogany? I asked pearl but haven't received an answer yet. They look like rosewood from what I saw.

This species of rosewood also looks exactly like the Alex Van Halen signature, which is Santos Rosewood. I usually only see East Indian, which is what my Pork Pie and Tama are, so this one will be incredible to have.

I have Ludwig classic maple exotic in this Santos Steinway finish as well. May let it go since I'm not too huge on normal maple for snares nowadays. Incredible drum, so I'll have to think on selling it.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are the re rings on these rosewood or mahogany? I asked pearl but haven't received an answer yet. They look like rosewood from what I saw.

This species of rosewood also looks exactly like the Alex Van Halen signature, which is Santos Rosewood. I usually only see East Indian, which is what my Pork Pie and Tama are, so this one will be incredible to have.

I have Ludwig classic maple exotic in this Santos Steinway finish as well. May let it go since I'm not too huge on normal maple for snares nowadays. Incredible drum, so I'll have to think on selling it.
Time to get a little nerdy on ya. There are “true” rosewoods, which are all from the dalbergia genus (including sub species like Brazilian, East Indian, Madagascar, Amazon Rosewoods, Cocobolo). These have been prized for years due to their looks for furniture and also their amazing musical properties (their musical uses are far far less prevalent than for other uses), which has caused depletion of many of the species (most notably Brazilian Rosewood) and CITES restrictions on all “true” rosewoods, and some ‘cousins’ (but not true rosewoods) such as Bubinga.

Santos Rosewood is not a “true” dalbergia rosewood, it is also known as Pau Ferro. There are other types of “rosewood like” species that share most of the characteristics (such as color, grain, Janka hardness). These are used more and more as true rosewood replacements as it’s been harder to procure true rosewoods.

Based on the production timeline, I doubt these are Santos Rosewood (aka Pau Ferro) and are one of the true dalbergia species of rosewood.

I did some research a few years ago trying to get a rosewood stave made. Doesn’t really matter sound wise (I have a Pau Ferro/Santos stave that sounds GREAT), but the value and rarity factor goes up immensely when dealing with true dalbergia rosewood.

It would be interesting to see if Pearl knows exactly what species. It is most likely not Brazilian as it has been under heavy restrictions for a long time.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Time to get a little nerdy on ya. There are “true” rosewoods, which are all from the dalbergia genus (including sub species like Brazilian, East Indian, Madagascar, Amazon Rosewoods, Cocobolo). These have been prized for years due to their looks for furniture and also their amazing musical properties (their musical uses are far far less prevalent than for other uses), which has caused depletion of many of the species (most notably Brazilian Rosewood) and CITES restrictions on all “true” rosewoods, and some ‘cousins’ (but not true rosewoods) such as Bubinga.

Santos Rosewood is not a “true” dalbergia rosewood, it is also known as Pau Ferro. There are other types of “rosewood like” species that share most of the characteristics (such as color, grain, Janka hardness). These are used more and more as true rosewood replacements as it’s been harder to procure true rosewoods.

Based on the production timeline, I doubt these are Santos Rosewood (aka Pau Ferro) and are one of the true dalbergia species of rosewood.

I did some research a few years ago trying to get a rosewood stave made. Doesn’t really matter sound wise (I have a Pau Ferro/Santos stave that sounds GREAT), but the value and rarity factor goes up immensely when dealing with true dalbergia rosewood.

It would be interesting to see if Pearl knows exactly what species. It is most likely not Brazilian as it has been under heavy restrictions for a long time.
Excellent info! Hopefully Pearl can let me know some specifics

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score

The shell and reinforcement hoops are all 100% Rosewood...no other species.