Another dream snare - Pearl Masterworks Rosewood

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
What is it about rosewood that speaks to you? Does it enhance certain frequencies?
It just has that sound I love. It seems to cut better than my other wood drums I've had, very metal like. But it's also very warm. And not important, but the grain on these drums are just breathtaking. They look like furniture.

Selling my Ludwig classic maple and gonna try a jarrah snare as they sound incredible as well and my collection should be complete for the first time ever.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Post #4 states 4 ply shell.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Post #4 states 4 ply shell.

That's where I saw that. I guess I've never seen re rings on a ply shell unless it was a ply shell and didn't know/realize. Todd Sucherman has the 5 but said his was a solid shell. Not sure if his was specially made, but man this thing sounds so good. Pearl makes some incredible snares.

Surprisingly, the pearl is much more sensitive than my solid Pork Pie.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
From Pearl:

The Rosewood Snare was a limited edition featuring a 4 ply shell with 4 ply reinforcement rings all Rosewood.

They were made from Aug 2000 to May 200. The total number produced was 105 pcs to Pearl America, Italy, Germany, Canada, Spain and Benelux.

Item code ASD5014 and ASD6514, both are 14" snare drum 5" and 6.5" version. current item codes would be MWA1450 and MWA1465.

So a pretty rare drum to us that have them now!

pgm554

Reaction score
There were solid rosewood shell snares being made back in the 80's out of block staves if I remember correctly.
I asked Gene Okomoto (from Pearl)if he had played any and his comment was they make great marimbas ,but bad snares.
You would think the shells would give you a sweet musical note ,but alas no.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
There were solid rosewood shell snares being made back in the 80's out of block staves if I remember correctly.
I asked Gene Okomoto (from Pearl)if he had played any and his comment was they make great marimbas ,but bad snares.
You would think the shells would give you a sweet musical note ,but alas no.
Interesting! Gene is a great guy. I've loved all 4 Rosewood drums I've had now, specifically the Pork Pie/Cask solid and now this Masterworks.

The Tama, surprisingly, was my least favorite of the 4. The Gretsch Gold series Rosewood was a great, great snare!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll make a new thread when it gets here, but for now, this beauty is on its way! I'm very excited to compare my now 3 rosewood drums and get a hopefully decent recording of all 3 different shells.

This is a custom Pork Pie Santos Rosewood. 6 ply shell, 8 lugs. I've only ever had 1 8 lug drum, so this should be a fun comparison.

I sold my Ludwig classic maple exotic snare and replaced it with this. Maple, while great, just wasn't doing anything for me.

Pork Pie 6.5" Solid Shell
Pork Pie 6.5" 6 ply 8 lug
Pearl 6.5" 4 ply with rings

SmartSelect_20200728-120511_Facebook.jpg

Snooter

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
Your Tama rosewood was the newer type right?
Did you ever get to play one of the original Tama rosewoods?
I never played the new RW but love my original.
Pork Pie snares have really been getting my interest lately. Are there a lot of solid rosewood porkers out there?
Enjoy your snares, they're all beautiful

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your Tama rosewood was the newer type right?
Did you ever get to play one of the original Tama rosewoods?
I never played the new RW but love my original.
Pork Pie snares have really been getting my interest lately. Are there a lot of solid rosewood porkers out there?
Enjoy your snares, they're all beautiful
Yeah it was the 40th anniversary. Surprisingly, that has been my least favorite of the 4 I've had now. It sounded great, but my others have all sounded much better and been easier to tune.

And Pork did a limited run of 10 pure rosewood shells like the Gretsch model. You can sometimes request Bill to make you whatever you want based on availability. His edges are absolutely incredible.

My cherry bubinga ply has such incredible sensitivity. The solid rosewood isn't as sensitive as it, or my Pearl. Or maybe I get way more shell tone at lower volumes than snare sound, and that confuses me. Either way, both are great Pork drums. Very excited to compare these 3!

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Time to get a little nerdy on ya. There are “true” rosewoods, which are all from the dalbergia genus (including sub species like Brazilian, East Indian, Madagascar, Amazon Rosewoods, Cocobolo). These have been prized for years due to their looks for furniture and also their amazing musical properties (their musical uses are far far less prevalent than for other uses), which has caused depletion of many of the species (most notably Brazilian Rosewood) and CITES restrictions on all “true” rosewoods, and some ‘cousins’ (but not true rosewoods) such as Bubinga.

Santos Rosewood is not a “true” dalbergia rosewood, it is also known as Pau Ferro. There are other types of “rosewood like” species that share most of the characteristics (such as color, grain, Janka hardness). These are used more and more as true rosewood replacements as it’s been harder to procure true rosewoods.

Based on the production timeline, I doubt these are Santos Rosewood (aka Pau Ferro) and are one of the true dalbergia species of rosewood.

I did some research a few years ago trying to get a rosewood stave made. Doesn’t really matter sound wise (I have a Pau Ferro/Santos stave that sounds GREAT), but the value and rarity factor goes up immensely when dealing with true dalbergia rosewood.

It would be interesting to see if Pearl knows exactly what species. It is most likely not Brazilian as it has been under heavy restrictions for a long time.
Pau Ferro sounds like an international percussionist