Another Pre-Chicago Show Vintage Drum Purchase

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My timing is great. Obviously, that statement has nothing to do with my playing.

In 2017, I bought a 1965 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Black Pearl set from the living estate of the original owner the night before leaving for the Chicago Show. My wife had to pick them up the next day while I was on a plane.

In 2019, I purchased a group of drums listed on Craigslist a few days before heading to the Chicago Show. I was at least able to unload the van before leaving for the Show.

This year, I spent my pre-Show Wednesday evening at an estate auction waiting four hours for them to get to the "vintage drums." They are now safe in my garage. The snare and cymbals were in a box marked "8-30-62 Drums and Garage Misc" I think that the owner may have been moved these 60 years ago and stored them in his garage or attic since. They certainly have that old, dusty smell.
The one picture from the estate sale listing for "vintage drums"
Estate Sale Photo.jpg

Picture from my van:
20220519_095833.jpg
Pictures from my garage:
20220519_103331.jpg
20220519_103348.jpg
20220519_103357.jpg

Slingerland 1953-56 era 13/16/24 with 6x14 snare Radio King set in WMP. Original Radio King stamped calf skin heads on tom, floor tom and bass. Snare batter replaced, but original is in good shape and was included, snare side head is split. Some splits in the wrap, several snare lugs broken. Not a pristine kit, but should clean up pretty well.
Slingerland 1946-48 era 12x15 Marching Snare with WFL P83 throw in Green Sparkle. Original AMRAWCO calf skin heads still intact. Really nice shape, color is consistent all the way around. It was the only drum stored in a (cloth) case.
Zildjian 14 inch Transition badge high hats
1950s ZILCO Constantinople Made in USA cymbals in multiple sizes - 11", 13", 14", 14", 15"
High hat stand, throne, bass drum pedals, cowbell, etc...
I also got two temple blocks which were not included with the drums. No one at the sale had any idea what they were.

Thanks to Mark Cooper who assisted me evaluating the drums before the sale. 1950s Slingerlands are not my area of expertise.

Off to the Chicago Show to find something interesting.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for you Rick!
I never have that sort of luck. Nothing like that shows up locally...and on the rare occasion that it does I find myself being bid against by non-drummers who figure it must be worth enough to buy to flip.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
How exactly does one go about finding estate auctions that have drums? I would love to keep an eye out for this sort of thing locally but don’t know where to start other than Craigslist

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How exactly does one go about finding estate auctions that have drums? I would love to keep an eye out for this sort of thing locally but don’t know where to start other than Craigslist
Craigslist often has estate sales listed in the garage sale category. I also watch estate sale listings in my area. I scan the descriptions and review the pictures. I do not find sales with drums very often, but often enough that I keep looking. I was outbid (I stopped at $2,000) on a Oyster Blue Pearl Downbeat set with Zildjian cymbals a few years ago at an auction run by this same auction company. This time no one else was very serious about the dirty old drums from the attic.

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good for you Rick!
I never have that sort of luck. Nothing like that shows up locally...and on the rare occasion that it does I find myself being bid against by non-drummers who figure it must be worth enough to buy to flip.
KO - This sale went on well past dark and was delayed as they kept trying to get the house bid up past the reserve. Although most of the contents had been moved to tables in the front yard and driveway, there was still stuff in an out building and inside the house when I left after 4 1/2 hours. Only the dedicated buyers stuck around. Fortunately, none of them saw much value in the drums.

jmetatual

Reaction score
My timing is great.

Slingerland 1953-56 era 13/16/24 with 6x14 snare Radio King set in WMP.
Nice find. Beavertail lugs date these to pre '55. 24" bass with 8 lugs per side is interesting (10 would be typical). Looking forward to more detailed pictures.

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
24" bass with 8 lugs per side is interesting (10 would be typical).
Mark said the same thing. It does not seem like enough to me either. It does not look like a larger drum that was cut down.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your set looks like the same as mine (similar time period) with a clamped on mounted tom.....only my bass drum is a smaller 12x22 with 8 lugs.
The shiny brass badge style would probably place it at 1953-54.

Last edited:

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Your set looks like the same as mine with a clamped on mounted tom.....only my bass drum is a smaller 12x22 with 8 lugs.
The shiny brass badge style would probably place it at 1953-54.
The bass and snare have the shiny brass reverse dog tag style badge.

jmetatual

Reaction score
The bass and snare have the shiny brass reverse dog tag style badge.
'53-'54 makes sense with reverse dog tag badge and beavertail lugs. Appears to have a #589 trap rail on the bass drum, may have the #160 tom to trap rail mount.

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My timing is great. Obviously, that statement has nothing to do with my playing.

In 2017, I bought a 1965 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Black Pearl set from the living estate of the original owner the night before leaving for the Chicago Show. My wife had to pick them up the next day while I was on a plane.

In 2019, I purchased a group of drums listed on Craigslist a few days before heading to the Chicago Show. I was at least able to unload the van before leaving for the Show.

This year, I spent my pre-Show Wednesday evening at an estate auction waiting four hours for them to get to the "vintage drums." They are now safe in my garage. The snare and cymbals were in a box marked "8-30-62 Drums and Garage Misc" I think that the owner may have been moved these 60 years ago and stored them in his garage or attic since. They certainly have that old, dusty smell.
The one picture from the estate sale listing for "vintage drums" View attachment 560103

Picture from my van: View attachment 560104 Pictures from my garage: View attachment 560105 View attachment 560106 View attachment 560107

Slingerland 1953-56 era 13/16/24 with 6x14 snare Radio King set in WMP. Original Radio King stamped calf skin heads on tom, floor tom and bass. Snare batter replaced, but original is in good shape and was included, snare side head is split. Some splits in the wrap, several snare lugs broken. Not a pristine kit, but should clean up pretty well.
Slingerland 1946-48 era 12x15 Marching Snare with WFL P83 throw in Green Sparkle. Original AMRAWCO calf skin heads still intact. Really nice shape, color is consistent all the way around. It was the only drum stored in a (cloth) case.
Zildjian 14 inch Transition badge high hats
1950s ZILCO Constantinople Made in USA cymbals in multiple sizes - 11", 13", 14", 14", 15"
High hat stand, throne, bass drum pedals, cowbell, etc...
I also got two temple blocks which were not included with the drums. No one at the sale had any idea what they were.

Thanks to Mark Cooper who assisted me evaluating the drums before the sale. 1950s Slingerlands are not my area of expertise.

Off to the Chicago Show to find something interesting.
Great find, Rick! It seems like you live in an area where these auctions show up with drums..... the nice thing is that they end up in a caring drumming enthusiast/collectors hands....
I don't see them come up here in Canada that often though I think here in Canada, our market is not as big as the US (especially in those days) so fewer drums sold here compared to the USA.
I like your stories and will continue to follow your future purchases.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
KO - This sale went on well past dark and was delayed as they kept trying to get the house bid up past the reserve. Although most of the contents had been moved to tables in the front yard and driveway, there was still stuff in an out building and inside the house when I left after 4 1/2 hours. Only the dedicated buyers stuck around. Fortunately, none of them saw much value in the drums.
Your steadfast determination and patience paid off in full.

Every time there is something I want at an auction (whether drums or whatever) it almost always ends up being the last (or nearly so) thing they sell. I've gotten tired of spending the whole day waiting for a particular item only to barely get a bid in edgewise as two other folks bid it into the stratosphere. I used to go to auctions quite often but after too many completely wasted Saturdays I've stopped even looking at listings. I'd just rather not even know what I might be missing. While I'm still always on the prowl for a "bargain" I'm willing to pay more (to a degree) to buy something outright and avoid the stress and drama. I tend to ignore Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for the same reason, anything I see worth my interest was either sold in 30 seconds or has already devolved into a bidding war. Again, I'd just rather not know what I missed.

Yet I still end up with ever more drums (ebay falls outside this realm....set up a bid, check it later, and, of course, there's all the stuff being sold by fellow DFO members).

I did once luck out at an estate auction on a Lemon Strata Standard set. It was quite far from home (Chicago burbs) and, typically, the very last item auctioned. I got it for a decent price, but if not for an antiques dealer that was there I probably would have paid 1/10th as much. I had to pay enough that the antiques lady began to doubt there was enough profit margin left in it for her.

But, man! that was quite a haul you made, especially with all the added accoutrements.

Although, Rick.....if I lived close enough, and had I known about it, I probably would have showed up for those and likewise hung out until the bitter end. It's likely a good thing for our friendship that we live in different parts of the country, LOL.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All 3 of my wives know of my dream to find a Radio King kit at a sale ……

That didn’t type out right did it ???

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although, Rick.....if I lived close enough, and had I known about it, I probably would have showed up for those and likewise hung out until the bitter end. It's likely a good thing for our friendship that we live in different parts of the country, LOL.
If we were both there we would have to figure out who wanted it more. I have left auctions (giving me hours of free time) when I know another collector who really wants something. I would rather not get into a war with a friend.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we were both there we would have to figure out who wanted it more. I have left auctions (giving me hours of free time) when I know another collector who really wants something. I would rather not get into a war with a friend.
Yes if that ever came to pass (it won't) I'm sure we'd reach an agreement like gentlemen.