ANOTHER Rogers Bop Find? Incredible!

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had to pick this up yesterday, here in the DC area. One pic in the ad, shown, besides some paper tag shots. No sizes, nothing, except " I've got several other kits for sale". Now that is my kind of hint.

I really was hoping it was a 20 so I would be able to resist the temptation to buy, as I already have a 20 14 12 Cleveland in silver sparkle. But no, as I suspected, it was indeed a 14x18. No mods, no issues, just missing the Cleveland rods. 43xxx serials, 1964. Powertone snare is a year or two newer, still with Cleveland tag. Had to, you know, who knows when these guys are going to pop up?
Here's the acquisition shot.

Screenshot_20190822-101332.pngIMG_20190821_135416.jpg

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When it rains.....it pours. That's amazing. Let us know how it cleans up and tunes up. Methinks you'd have bought it even if a 20" bass.

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Cool!

Those 2 pics are a classic example of how lighting plays on the wrap color. In the first pic, the snare and floor tom look like a match and the bass and tom look like another match. In the 2nd pick the floor tom matches the bass and other tom with just the snare looking different.

How do the wraps compare in real life?

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Had to pick this up yesterday, here in the DC area. One pic in the ad, shown, besides some paper tag shots. No sizes, nothing, except " I've got several other kits for sale". Now that is my kind of hint.

I really was hoping it was a 20 so I would be able to resist the temptation to buy, as I already have a 20 14 12 Cleveland in silver sparkle. But no, as I suspected, it was indeed a 14x18. No mods, no issues, just missing the Cleveland rods. 43xxx serials, 1964. Powertone snare is a year or two newer, still with Cleveland tag. Had to, you know, who knows when these guys are going to pop up?
Here's the acquisition shot.

View attachment 407473View attachment 407474
OMG, so you beat Rich King AND Rich Blanchard to these. As most here might know, that is their stomping ground and between the two of them, they gobble up pretty much everything.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow!!! Good things come in three's so I am scouring every local ad I can.......

And yes, the lighting makes the drums look funky and mismatched......hmmm.
I have an original 12 and 20 and my 16 FT needs to be rewrapped - I'm worried whether a new wrap will match the original silver glass glitter..........

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Silver wrap is the hardest to photograph accurately. Yes the powertone snare definitely seems a bit brighter than the rest of the bop kit, but then again, the Tower snare on my 12 14 20 Rogers SS kit also looks brighter than that kit. Perhaps it's the fact that the snares have so much more chrome reflection nearby, fooling our visuals/brains a little?

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
The new silver glass will not match the old. The color is different, the size of the glass is different, and the surface is much more smooth and shiny than the original.

Those drums in the photo look mismatched because the glass chips fall in one direction on the backing, and sometimes pieces are applied to the drum in different directions - they then reflect the light differently.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a shot I took last night with the bop kit laid out against my 12 14 20 and tower snare. All 8 drums are Cleveland. I am not at all unhappy with the match in wraps. Dan C you may be on to something with respect to the orientation of the wraps at the factory. Note that the 14x14 in my old kit is markedly darker that any of the other drums - may be more sun exposure, but it actually appears gray, and keeps that kit in definite players category. But when set up, the drums are pointing at every which angle, so it's not that noticeable. Note for anyone interested - I will have that kit for sale soon - with or without the Tower snare.

As for 'competition' with the Rich & Rich duo, this is a big market and there are plenty of opportunities around here. I've scored several local prizes recently, far more than my wife can bear. R&R advertise as buyers on CL heavily, and I can't imagine the hassle of getting all those calls about Jr's leftovers in the basement. Maybe after I retire.

Speaking of end-games, this bop pick-up really stopped me in my tracks regarding G.A.S. The seller was the son-in-law of the deceased owner who passed 4 years ago at 65 years old, and they are just getting motivated to move his gear. He was a local pro, gigging every type of percussion, owned a local music store, and a percussion teacher at the local universities. He even has a memorial scholarship in his name given out annually at the Percussive Arts Society of VA. But he left his daughter with a huge, huge mess to clean up. There are all kinds of kits they have to unload; mallet instruments, tympani everywhere, etc. Most of it was organized and in bags, but I can't imagine the hassle for the family, who did not inherit the musical genes. My son is just as much of a gear nut as I am, but I don't want to leave this kind of encumbrance on him. I need to reduce my footprint and redefine what is a keeper.

Attachments

Last edited:

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Love the silver sparkle. Nice collection of drums there!

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Took a couple of as-found shots outside. That black reso head has to go.

Notice the irregular use of an angled swivo to mount the 8x12, and two panels off from typical placement. Custom request? I can't imagine Frank Walters would make such an error without a reason.

Tuned them up a bit tonight. I'm in love already.
IMG_20190824_163840.jpg