header.nohb.html

Another Set Makes Its Debut: 70s Slingerlands

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another set of mine finally made its way out of the basement and onto a stage last night. These are some 70s 3 ply Slingerlands that I bought a few years ago. I'm sure I posted about them at the time. 13/16/22. I bought the drums from a local guy for $125. They were complete but stripped. I ended up rewrapping them in Silver Sparkle to match a snare I had. After a few months of searching I gave up on finding a matching 14x14. I couldn't bring myself to strip the red sparkle 14x14 floor tom I did have (good thing as that is now part of another set) so I had Bernie Stone make me a 3 ply (mahogany/poplar/maple w rings) shell from which I cloned a "Slingerland" floor tom. True to form two real ones in that wrap popped up on ebay within a week of me finishing this one. Just as well though as they were both pretty expensive and this one works just fine. It was crafted on the Slingerland equipment after all. The snare is an early 60s solid shell Artist model I had bought years ago (and why I did this set in SS).

Covid kept these from being used for entirely too long. Many others that need to go through the rotation yet but these really excelled

Another successful project finally sees the light of day.

20220623_181146a.jpg

20220623_201622a.jpg

20220623_173809a.jpg

20220623_201627a.jpg

Barton bags round out the equation

20220623_202147a.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
you had to purchase all original (or?) the hardware for the 14x14 build?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
make sure keep an eye- no one rushes the stage- screaming they found "Alan Whites drums".. : )

Last edited:

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful!- Love 3 ply w/rings 70's Slingerland. I think by 1980 there was only 5 ply and 3 ply without rings being offered

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another set of mine finally made its way out of the basement and onto a stage last night. These are some 70s 3 ply Slingerlands that I bought a few years ago. I'm sure I posted about them at the time. 13/16/22. I bought the drums from a local guy for $125. They were complete but stripped. I ended up rewrapping them in Silver Sparkle to match a snare I had. After a few months of searching I gave up on finding a matching 14x14. I couldn't bring myself to strip the red sparkle 14x14 floor tom I did have (good thing as that is now part of another set) so I had Bernie Stone make me a 3 ply (mahogany/poplar/maple w rings) shell from which I cloned a "Slingerland" floor tom. True to form two real ones in that wrap popped up on ebay within a week of me finishing this one. Just as well though as they were both pretty expensive and this one works just fine. It was crafted on the Slingerland equipment after all. The snare is an early 60s solid shell Artist model I had bought years ago (and why I did this set in SS).

Covid kept these from being used for entirely too long. Many others that need to go through the rotation yet but these really excelled

Another successful project finally sees the light of day.

View attachment 567558
View attachment 567559
View attachment 567560
View attachment 567561

Barton bags round out the equation

View attachment 567562
The fiddler from my band has a set of those in his studio. They're great non-pretentious-but-does-the-job-allright kinda tubs. They look awesome in brand new silver sparkle... Congrats! ;-)

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
you had to purchase all original (or?) the hardware for the 14x14 build?

I had everything on hand but the leg mounts which are Maxwell repros. I didn't re-install the mufflers or add one to the 14 since I never use them.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bernie to the rescue! Haven’t seen anything for sale from him in a long time has anyone talked to him?
Drums look great by the way except for the throne.

I've been patiently waiting on my last order from Bernie for a long time. He called me last November. He's had a rough couple of years with both family stuff and issues with his equipment. I did recently get half my stuff, still waiting on the balance. I couldn't recommend comissioning a new order at the present time. But he does do great work when he does follow through. Reminds me I need to send him another reminder text.

I know the throne shouldn't have been used. The Ludwig hardware bag had the right sized legs in it so it went. I meant to swap out a Pork Pie throne top but forgot. Oh well it was covered up during the show. I have three hardware bags. The Slingerland bag for my Nashville set was buried in the garage at the moment. The Gretsch bag has the 1/2" diameter legs in it so it wouldn't work with these floor tom brackets. The Ludwig bag was in the car and had the right diameter legs but this throne (for obvious reasons) so laziness won out.

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome... just awesome, I need to bring mine out to play now, you have inspired me!

little rock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Who recovered them for you? Now, I may be wrong, but that's what I call ROCK-N-ROLL!! Great job, you and the whole band.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who recovered them for you? Now, I may be wrong, but that's what I call ROCK-N-ROLL!! Great job, you and the whole band.
I do my own rewrapping work. I can barely afford the wrap, let alone pay someone to do the work ;) .