Another Zildjian Stamp I.D. Question

Sticks and Brass

Reaction score
Help. I'm very green and still wet behind the ears when it comes to dating Zildjians by the stamp.

I very recently came across and purchased a "set" of cymbals. Of course they're Zildjians. Great patina, minimal flee bites. But I dont know their era. There's a 20" medium ride with rivet holes spaced equally around. The weight is, if I remember right, is a bit over 2400gm. Another 20" ride with a very small bell and a weight of 3203gm - Heavy! A hat pair, 15", and weights just below 900gm. One of these hats has 4 holes, about 1/8 inch dia. And are evenly spaced around.
They don't look original.

Can somebody help me out to give me an idea on the era of these cymbals?

Not sure what I'll do with them, but it was a deal hard to pass up. Any help is appreciated.
20190605_123313.jpg
20190605_122512.jpg
20190605_120959.jpg

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
1 Hats 60s stamp
2 Small Bell 70s stamp
3 60s stamp

The stamp tells you what stamp is on the cymbal. But there is a world of additional information beyond that. See the links in my signature. The 20" with a very small bell is most likely a Mini Cup ride. The cup die for that (prosaically called the mini cup die) is a little smaller than the small cup die which would have been used on the hats. I've got a Mini Cup ride which weighs 3180g so yours isn't outside the expected range.

I'd be interested to know the heights of the first and third stamps for research purposes. There are some interesting micro features, particularly on that third one.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 1/8th inch holes in the hi hat are probably a home made "quick beat" mod. IIRC Zildjian drilled them to 1/2". Even thought they work and don't change the sound, I consider an appropriate reduction in price when buying. The just under 900 gm weights in the 15" hats are excellent. Should be a a nice sounding weight for most types of music from jazz to rock....sloshy yet with some volume. 2400 gm medium 20" ride just on the border of being crashable...a heavier crash though. Should ride well though.

Latest posts