Antiques store find. What is it?

ToBBa

Reaction score
Hi folks.
A friend of mine stubled across this kit in an antiques store.
Never seen that wrap, nor heard if the brand before.mr google did not come up with anything usefull, and the badge overview for old japanese on vitagedrumguide did not have this brand listed.
I think it looks a bit to old to be made in japan.
The tom mount is a premier 388 from the late 50's early 60's and is not original to the kit. I also think the clip on bd dampeners are premier.
He didn't take any interior pics of the drum, so it's hard to tell any thing from the shell construction method/shell layup.
The bass drum pedal looks pre-war?
Im thinking eastern euopean? But i really have no clue
Anyone?

Attachments

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
funky as he ll!
definitely sorta lean English
the beater is like on a 250S prem pedal..
overall, some bizarre Premier confligeration

Drewdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have any more photos of the floor tom? The lugs looks different on that drum.

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Weird set, my guess is European, tho. Pretty cool. I wonder what the head sizes are and if they are Pre International.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Funny how the tension rods don't even go thru the center-lugs/guides on the rack tom. And a funny little cymbal mount on the bass. Odd-ball beater, wierd little snare-side muffler(?), extra rack tom leg. "The Whociks" ?........marko

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really doubt thats a Premier made anything. The tom mount is a Prem, yes, but it was obviously added later as its on top of the badge!!

Still, that the owner would HAVE a premier mount would indicate that the set may have been English.

Quite a mystery!

Father-42

Reaction score
To me it's the export version of german kit Lefima (before 1961) or the same Tacton (just after 1961 nationalization).
Tom mount is a Prem really.

Cheers,
George.

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Humm...Eastern Eruo....Russian??? That might account for the lack of information available....Super cool....

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
See the insides of the shell; outsides are only half it'.
bottom small tom is open...

Father-42

Reaction score
Also I suppose that these badges easy may be false. These drums are Tacton without any doubts.
Let you see wellknown german original Lefima/Tacton drums as example - all the parts, lugs and even pedal are identical.
One of the earliest 1961 version FT after Lefima you can see in the similar wrap. It was called by new company name "Tactona" but it was changed to "Tacton" in the same year.
All the shells are 3-ply beech with re-rings.

Cheers,
George.

Attachments

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've see that Manhattan Popular badge before, but I can't find it again! It's in here somewhere. I'm thinking Dallas/Carton or another. English for sure. I've see the brick too, but that may be a bad re-wrap, not sure. Dallas did a lot of that stuff with funny wraps in the late 40's and 50's.

----------------

Wow, you nailed it with the wrap! It could be that England help Germany to start that. The lugs are the same too with early Dallas.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow...funky stuff. Learned a lot in this thread and I'm one of the older guys here. :)