header.nohb.html

Any 15” Formula 602 Sound Edge Experiences?

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 602 SE, Med, and ME hats all in the 15 size.
Honest ... they are not my favorites.
They all play stiff.
And the ME hats have a muted effect that is similar to the ME ride and crashes.
They all lack the wide range found in a sweet and versatile set of hats.
Don‘t get me wrong, they’re all good hats … just not great.
Part of that is I don’t play heavy music that the stiff focused SE hats would be appropriate for.

mfk252

Reaction score
I use a pre-serial 15" Sound Edge bottom fairly often for recording. At 1200 grams it's a little lighter than many modern hihat bottom cymbals produced today and it doesn't seem to be as loud as other similarly weighted bottoms (which is why I use it for recording). I can get a nice full mellow sound when paired with a thinner hand hammered top. It seems to let the characteristics of the top cymbal shine through.

I haven't tried the modern equivalent, but the pair currently on Mycymbal.com sound brighter than the ~50 year old cymbal I have (paired with a non matched 602 top hat from the same era).

james_c_marks

Reaction score
75A23802-199D-429A-91EB-6092B01D4AC9.jpeg

I purchased a new 15” classic SE bottom to go with a Blue Label Heavy that I use as a top. The YouTube examples of the classic SE 602s are pretty accurate. Very tight, clean and carefully tuned sound. The opposite of “wild”.

Burps

Reaction score
I never played the 15" size, but have lots of experience with the 14" and a little with the 13" (wish they'd bring the 13" size back). Paiste mentioned in their 1979 catalog that the 602 sound edge hats in general were not meant for heavy players. But many heavy hitters used them anyway and the result were a lot of cracked top cymbals. Like james_c_marks revealed above, some drummers like to put a heavier cymbal over the sound edge bottom which takes away a bit of worry of damaging the cymbals and they still sound great.

I love the sound of all the sizes, but the "classic" 14" is my personal favorite. These really are great with a softer touch. They're actually somewhat similar to the 2002 sound (some may disagree) except that the 602 has a narrower frequency range, less of a chick sound, and lower volume.

The 602 15" size can be heard on a lot of Pink Floyd of the 1970s and Rolling Stones of the 70s too, if the Paiste Profiles books are to be believed. I think they're some of the finest hats ever made.

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never played the 15" size, but have lots of experience with the 14" and a little with the 13" (wish they'd bring the 13" size back). Paiste mentioned in their 1979 catalog that the 602 sound edge hats in general were not meant for heavy players. But many heavy hitters used them anyway and the result were a lot of cracked top cymbals. Like james_c_marks revealed above, some drummers like to put a heavier cymbal over the sound edge bottom which takes away a bit of worry of damaging the cymbals and they still sound great.

I love the sound of all the sizes, but the "classic" 14" is my personal favorite. These really are great with a softer touch. They're actually somewhat similar to the 2002 sound (some may disagree) except that the 602 has a narrower frequency range, less of a chick sound, and lower volume.

The 602 15" size can be heard on a lot of Pink Floyd of the 1970s and Rolling Stones of the 70s too, if the Paiste Profiles books are to be believed. I think they're some of the finest hats ever made.
Little known fact, Bonham used and recorded with 15" 602 sound edges on more albums that 2002 sound edges!
III, IV and Houses of the holy.

Tarkus

Reaction score
About 20 years ago I was playing in a Deep Purple Tribute Band. I wanted the 15 inch 2002 sound edge and went to a vintage drum fair. I couldn't find the 2002s and 'only' found some vintage 602 15 inch sound egde Hi Hats. Very soon, my disappointment changed when I realized that 602 are (at least for me) much better than 2002s (which I got in the meantime). Point is, that 602s fitted to all other bands I played much better. They are much more versatile.
The only thing missing is this 'high end volume' (compared to 2002), and there is the danger to damage the top hat, which I did (but got it repaired as well).

Since then and until today this is my most played hi hat that I use for nearly everything. They record very well, too.

This 'Bonham fact' just mentioned by type85, I learned much later, but if you know it, you can hear it (as well as his Giant Beat Ride cymbals).

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 20 years ago I was playing in a Deep Purple Tribute Band. I wanted the 15 inch 2002 sound edge and went to a vintage drum fair. I couldn't find the 2002s and 'only' found some vintage 602 15 inch sound egde Hi Hats. Very soon, my disappointment changed when I realized that 602 are (at least for me) much better than 2002s (which I got in the meantime). Point is, that 602s fitted to all other bands I played much better. They are much more versatile.
The only thing missing is this 'high end volume' (compared to 2002), and there is the danger to damage the top hat, which I did (but got it repaired as well).

Since then and until today this is my most played hi hat that I use for nearly everything. They record very well, too.

This 'Bonham fact' just mentioned by type85, I learned much later, but if you know it, you can hear it (as well as his Giant Beat Ride cymbals).
After befriending George Fludas, my eyes were opened and my world was rocked!
Intro to "rock and roll"? 15" 602 sound edges!
When the levee breaks? 15" 602 sound edges, white label Giant beats!
Immigrant song? White label Giant beats!
houses of the holy? 15" 602 sound edges, black label Giant beats!
In my time of dying? Giant beat ride! (everything else: 2002's)

james_c_marks

Reaction score
When I first got a new kit I invited 2 old friends over to try it -one of them cracked my 15” Heavy… I cut it out. I haven’t let either of the guys play my kit again. That’s been several years ago. Now we can all ponder if the 602 was just prone to crack, but I’ve never cracked a cymbal. Oh the humanity!
60D7ECD1-D15D-4C36-B806-29FCBFBBA2F1.jpeg

Tom Cat

Reaction score
I got a an old set f 15" 602 SE hats and they very quickly became my go to hats, i also have a set of BL 2oo2 15 SE hats and prefer the 602s
way more. the 2oo2s cut better in higher volume situations but the 602s are sooooo smooth in comparison nearly making the 2oo2s sound harsh in comparison. I ebayed hem in 2018 and got $1200 !! and regretted letting them go,so i wasreally happy when Paiste reissued the 602s and the 15 SE hats were in the deal... I wonder how they stack up against the vintage 602s

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a an old set f 15" 602 SE hats and they very quickly became my go to hats, i also have a set of BL 2oo2 15 SE hats and prefer the 602s
way more. the 2oo2s cut better in higher volume situations but the 602s are sooooo smooth in comparison nearly making the 2oo2s sound harsh in comparison. I ebayed hem in 2018 and got $1200 !! and regretted letting them go,so i wasreally happy when Paiste reissued the 602s and the 15 SE hats were in the deal... I wonder how they stack up against the vintage 602s
Paiste is using a new B20 supplier since the old one had tons of financial problems in the late 80's/early 90's, they stopped producing B20 around 1993/4, this is why the 602 and Sound creations were discontinued (that and low sales compared to the new Signature series).
There a few side by side comparisons of old and new 602 hi hats, you can see how close they are, here is an example: