Any bagpipe guys here?

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I know nothing about bagpipes except from what I can gather from youtube.
I'm a flute/recorder player, so fingering on the chanter makes total sense.

I'm looking to pick up a set of bagpipes and a practice chanter but haven't a clue as to
what to look for, brands, sellers, cost etc.

Anyone?

Blackdog

Reaction score
Second hand information from a long tome ago (i.e. I used to be a drummer in a pipe band).

You need to break it up into components.
Practice Chanter.. not so expensive, buy a necessary place to start. Don't do plastic, do Blackwood (brands Hardie, McCallum, Henderson, there's more but I can only remember so much. something not from India. Cost not knowing US markets.. maybe $A 200 (US150) for very very good

Pipes.. basically the older the better.
The chanter should be bought separately, same brands as above. If you have aspirations for playing in a band, not so much of an issue as generally (a competitive band) will already have matched sets so the pipers all sound the same.
Likewise the reeds (chanter and drones)
The bag.. lots of technical innovation over the years.. buy modern, not old.
Drones.. buy old not modern Ivory or silver mounted, or plain... cost varies enormously. Very very good maybe $5k ???

Pop into a pipeband and I'm sure they would be happy to discuss, tips on where to buy.. they probably have free lessons (wanting you to join the band). I think (but not too sure.. you might need some lesson on blowing, firstly the co-ordination of squeezing the bag at a constat rate, blowing at an appropriate rate to keep the bag at the right "fill" irrrespective of the fingering and not blowing with your cheeks inflated.

enjoy!

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Holy cow Blackdog, thanks for the info! I think??

Man, I had no idea.

Any chance there's the Yamaha Stage Custom with Sabian XS cymbals version?

:)

Blackdog

Reaction score
I'm sure there is but I never swam in that pool. The band I played in was very competitive, pretty obsessed, only the best ...etc etc Si I never saw that end of the scale. Gave it up for that reason, fun wasn't on the menu but if we took the lessons from this forum... Buy used, get a teacher, spend more time practicing...
Then start with a chanter.. I remember it took a year or so (and we were kids) to get off the chanter nd onto a set of pipes (that had the drones blocked to make blowing easier) then they unlock the drones, then a full sized bag.... Even then you were pretty green
I still recommend stop into a pipeband or a pipeband forum and chat. I might be talking complete not true based on old memories here.. Proceed with caution.
Have you considered the Irish pipes. Uilleann pipes .. What a sweet sweet sound, greater range, no blowing... Google them and see if you like them

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did play the pipes when I was young, but it was too long ago for me to be able to give you any good advice.
My parents bought them when we took a vacation in Nova Scotia. I had taken lessons on the chanter for more than a year before they dared invest in a quality set of pipes.
I do know that they were more expensive than the new top of the line 5 piece Gretsch drum set they also bought for me.
Photo is from a wedding for a friend of the family, about `78.
I was learning to play drums at that time also, and I can imagine the neighbors were thrilled!

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 83

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Iandrumz

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
ludwig402 said:
Thanks guys for all the info. I think I'm definitely out of my league here.
Don't think I have the time, the patience or the money.
I just woke up one morning and decided I wanted to try bagpipes sometime before I die :)

Great picture Matt!

Love the uillean pipes Blackdog. First time I noticed them was at a Chieftans show long ago.

Hey, is this anything worth bidding on?
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Bagpipes-Green--Blue-Plaid-Wood-Chanter--Pipes-34753476.html
Save your money. They look like the very cheap Pakistani instruments that some music stores used to stock. They dry out and crack. You need African blackwood.

Bucket

Reaction score
Old post but I do play the bagpipes. However, I enjoy the drums much more these days! I'm sure the OP figured it out by now, but definitely purchase the practice chanter first. There is a year or two of learning that can be accomplished on that before moving to the big boys. Trying to learn basics and tunes is very frustrating on a full set of pipes.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was hosting an open mic. A musician showed up with an electronic bagpipe. It had a volume control, and sounded pretty good to me. I never expected to jam with a bagpipe at an open mic but it worked out well.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite is the Irish bagpipe which are called the uilleann pipes. You’ve heard them probably from movies like Braveheart and Titanic in the soundtrack. I’ve always wanted to learn how to play them but I heard they’re hard and pricey.

Bucket

Reaction score
I only own and play highland pipes. I've played scottish small pipes a few times. Yes, pipes are hard to learn and can be pricey. Practice chanters are relatively inexpensive though.