Any bass players here?

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That diagram is correct. BTW...do yourself a favor and learn the Bass clef. I started playing this year in an orchestra and it opened my eyes to the world of "real" musicians. Tab is great and all but if you want to work and/or play with sheet music, tab isn't going to cut it.

ZMWPhotography

Reaction score
Been a guitar player for 6 years and picked up bass back in December. Its a cheaper Ibanez five string. If anyone needs fretboard advice I'm here.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I play bass too. I have a USA Fender Precision Elite with the PJ set up with active/passive electronics, a USA Fender Jazz Fretless, a Hofner Ignition Beatle Bass. All three basses are Tobacco Sunburst lacquer.

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Treviso1 said:
I play bass too. I have a USA Fender Precision Elite with the PJ set up with active/passive electronics, a USA Fender Jazz Fretless, a Hofner Ignition Beatle Bass. All three basses are Tobacco Sunburst lacquer.
Me too, Rob!! USA Fender P Bass standard with a maple neck, solid black lacquer and a white pick guard - 2012 model. I hitch it to an Ampeg BA115. In hind sight, I wish I would have ordered the burst finish. I'm teaching my self but have played rhythm guitar for many years - it's a blast. I hope to get proficient enough to be a "double threat" for the the church band. Always, a shortage of bass players. Drummers... not so much.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Eyedrum said:
Me too, Rob!! USA Fender P Bass standard with a maple neck, solid black lacquer and a white pick guard - 2012 model. I hitch it to an Ampeg BA115. In hind sight, I wish I would have ordered the burst finish. I'm teaching my self but have played rhythm guitar for many years - it's a blast. I hope to get proficient enough to be a "double threat" for the the church band. Always, a shortage of bass players. Drummers... not so much.
That's too funny! I also have an Ampeg BA series, but with the two 10" speakers. The Hofner Ignition Beatle Bass is a blast to play.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
HA guys, I have the Precision Deluxe with the P/J as well. Although I also have a Mexi P bass special with EMG P/J setup that seems to be getting the playtime. Thinking about letting go of the USA! :unsure:

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Hehe - Fender Precision and Hfner Ignition Club bass here. :icon_smile:

Played quite a lot for a couple of years and even cut an album but since coming back to the drums two years ago I hardly touch my basses anymore.

Wheres bongomania BTW? He used to be on Talkbass. :hello2:

Iristone

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm learning/trying to play bass also... I have a Squier Vintage Modified 5-string Jazz Bass with D'Addario Chromes. My teacher recommended me to buy a 5-string, but I've yet to find a use for the lowest one.
Iristone

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drums are and always have been my primary instrument, but I'm also a bassist. Here are my two most recent bass purchases, a 2006 Fender American Jazz and a 2010 Lakland USA Joe Osborn.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
drummer5359 said:
Drums are and always have been my primary instrument, but I'm also a bassist. Here are my two most recent bass purchases, a 2006 Fender American Jazz and a 2010 Lakland USA Joe Osborn.

Very cool!

jeffh

Reaction score
Started bass lessons this year, playing an Ibanez SG400. Not sure why I'm doing it, but after so many decades of drumming I'm having fun with it. I started trying to work with books and videos, but since I found a good local teacher I'm progressing a whole lot farther and faster. I don't think there's anything as effective as in-person lessons.

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have spent the majority of my almost-40 year performing career as a bassist in various bands, various styles of music. I have also enjoyed playing percussion in less formal situations, and always thought how much fun it would be, to be the full-time percussionist in a working band. About 6 years ago, my dream came true when some friends of mine invited me to join their band as percussionist. The caveat: the regular bass-player also plays trombone in a jazz band.... so on occasions when we have a gig and he has a conflict, I will be the substitute bassist ! This means for me that, although I'm the percussionist, I also need to pay attention to the keys and the chord changes to new songs, as we work on them. (Which, honestly, I think is not a bad idea for any drummer or percussionist in a band.)

This is my newest bass, purchased earlier this year. A 'Singer' two-string, from Waterstone Guitars. It's my first commercially-made 2-string; I have a couple of other 2-stringers that were custom-made for me by a luthier, the oldest one going back 10 years. I tune 'em E and A. I own and play 4-string basses, too ... but when everyone else & their brother decided that they had to have a 5 or 6 string bass, I felt the urge to move in the other direction. LOL, it's just the way I am !

waterstone1.jpg

waterstone2.jpg

Last edited:

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Hey all,
first post here. I'm a bass player, but have messed around with drums for lots of years. Taking it serious now and have a group I play with. Been doing Marcus Hawkins middle school warmups and improving.
Tips?
Oh, and maybe read sheet music and leave the TAB alone. I dont really read either but can slowly read bass and treble clef more easily than TAB.

rock roll

Reaction score
If you are starting out new on bass.
Learn the notes on the fret board, but you can cheat a little at the beginning by first learn the low E and the low A . All the way to the 12th fret. (Hint:there's only 12 notes and then they just repeat.
The other two D and G , you can figure out by octaves.
Learn what an octave is.
Then learn the pentatonic Scale ....its the main on used along with majors and minors thrown in.
Then learn the difference between a major and a minor scale.(usually only a couple notes difference) .
Practice hammer ons and pull offs. Do these a lot to build up your finger strength.
Find someone to play with. Very important.
You can start out learning 3 chord rock n roll. A lot of these you can picture as an L - shape.
Like A D E or C F G etc...one root note will be on one string while the other two root notes will be on the other string above or below it.
Songs like louie louie,get off my cloud, hang on sloppy,wild thing,sedated,etc etc.

Hope this helps you get started rockin.