Any bass players here?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sweet! Master, where did you get those? I know there is a guy on eBay in Japan that sells all kinds of these things, "abalone" inlays, etc.......

jaxjaxon

Reaction score
I see Diagrams for Guitar all the time That the low E is at the bottom of the image could be it is a lefty that made them but the nut is faceing to the left like a right hander. Beware of the lessons that make things more complicated then is necessary

Johnny K

Reaction score
Several years ago, I wanted to learn to play the jazz upright bass... to this very day, I still enjoy it... so with dedication your goals are possible.
have 3 of them in my house. They belong to my wife. I am working on an drum, bass, guitar arrangement of Moanin' right now, playing all the instruments myself. I have a couple of normal electric basses, but I think I would love to use her 3/4 upright (the one I put a Fishman pickup on) to lay down the bass track in the final mix. I'm going to base mine more on Ronnie Earl and The Broadcasters cover version than the original Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers version.

Dan K

Reaction score
I have been playing bass exclusively for the past almost 18 years - once I got decent I had FAR more gigs to play on bass than I did on drums...and I was playing a lot of drums!

I only play 5 - strings as most of my playing is at churches. I'll be selling one of my basses to pay for a 2006 DW Koa kit I just bought. A month ago all 4 drummers were unavailable and the music minister asked if I could do it. LOTS of rust but it went better than well. I have been practicing more drums than bass at this point and loving it. YEA, motivation!

Dan K.

Maggot

Reaction score
Longtime guitar player/frontman but bass is what I'm spending most of my time with now. I also love drums, of course, but I'm not really good enough to drive a band, so it's mostly for demos and jams. I'm practicing in hopes of becoming a good drummer, but drummers who are drive-the-band good are born and not made, or at least not everyone can become one late in life.

I love locking in with a good drummer. When I go to shows, I listen mainly to drums, but bass allows me to play in the rhythm section and not have to worry about losing my voice. My main bass is a Squier Vintage Modified Mustang, but I also have an Ibanez RS 820. I always play flatwound strings, usually with a pick, and love to sit right in between the kick and snare.

Last edited:

Dougie Stix

Reaction score
Thank you, I think I've got it. Ordered a bass book "Hal Leonard Bass Method vol 1-3." The book had good reviews.
I got this book as well. I thought it was great, made it seem easy. I can't play the guitar at all, but somehow picked up on the bass pretty easy. Guess it's because drums and bass go together. I got a sweet Schecter!

rock roll

Reaction score
Longtime guitar player/frontman but bass is what I'm spending most of my time with now. I also love drums, of course, but I'm not really good enough to drive a band, so it's mostly for demos and jams. I'm practicing in hopes of becoming a good drummer, but drummers who are drive-the-band good are born and not made, or at least not everyone can become one late in life.

I love locking in with a good drummer. When I go to shows, I listen mainly to drums, but bass allows me to play in the rhythm section and not have to worry about losing my voice. My main bass is a Squier Vintage Modified Mustang, but I also have an Ibanez RS 820. I always play flatwound strings, usually with a pick, and love to sit right in between the kick and snare.
I love playing bass also.
What I call my "number one" bass is a '69 fender jazz bass with a '70's schecter replacement neck. Round wounds..have to build up the callus's. I bought it in the early 90's. It's a beater not a collector but plays and sounds great.i played bass before drums after starting out on guitar but every jam I went to had lots of guitar players and one bass player. So by playing bass I got to play with much better musicians than myself.
Playing bass helped me understand not to over play the drums just lock into a groove that everyone else can play to.

Dan K

Reaction score
I quit playing drums and played bass exclusively for 18 years - I had reached the point, after playing drums for 30 years, that drums were not satisfying. Three months ago all 4 drummers at my church were unavailable to play and I was asked to play with 9 days notice. I pulled out my Hoshino era Camco kit and started practicing. The joy of playing drums was back for me!

Now, I am still playing bass but am practicing drums and bass equally and loving both. I have a DW collectors kit in Koa as well as the Camco. I still have a batch of nice basses and a great rig (Darkglass M900 and Accugroove cabinets).

Dan

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to be mainly a bongo/conga player, then I decided to take up bass. I got super obsessed with bass gear for a decade, to the point that I have a well-known review website and one of the highest post counts on Talkbass. But I never actually enjoyed studying or practicing the fretboard, so I never got any good as a player. Boy do I know all about the gear though.

One day after getting really frustrated and ashamed about how I’d spent all my time in that decade, I sat down at a trap kit. It immediately came naturally to me, and I found that I actually really enjoy practicing rudiments and drumming technique! It’s like meditation for me. So this time I’m spending all my time actually playing, gigging, and practicing, rather than just obsessing over the gear.

Well, I mean, I’m still a gear nerd. Just a more balanced one.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Learning by tablature sucks. Youtube made that obsolete. The small E string is the 1st string, because the next 3 strings (making 4) are your basic triad strings. The 5th and 6th are bass strings. You don't just play the bass strings without considering the bass part. Even though the bass is 1 octave lower, you still can't hammer away on the bass strings when you play in a band. I like Scott Grove, for learning stringed instrument fast and cheap. The guy is funny too. Groovymusic.com, I think. Ace
I was really digging the way this guy thinks...............then realized that it is me.......ace

jeffh

Reaction score
Started bass lessons this year, playing an Ibanez SG400. Not sure why I'm doing it, but after so many decades of drumming I'm having fun with it. I started trying to work with books and videos, but since I found a good local teacher I'm progressing a whole lot farther and faster. I don't think there's anything as effective as in-person lessons.
Update: Sold the Ibanez and moved up to this beauty. Between its great tone and a set of flatwounds, I'm a happy camper.
LaklandA800.jpg

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I can play "I Saw Her Standing There." That is fun to learn. "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" was the first pattern that I learned in the 60s. Ace