header.nohb.html

Any Bill Frisell fans in here?

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just had the great privilege of hearing Bill with the legendary Charles Lloyd .... not with the entire recorded group, but just the two of them. Intimate and inspiring ..... and right here in my little hometown of Healdsburg CA. So that in turn sent me to the computer to fill in the vast gaps in my knowledge of Bill's oeuvre ..... I had heard him play in some pretty disparate settings, from stone NYC post-bop intensity to backing the Haden Triplets singing Carter family homilies.

I ended up getting into one of his earlier CDs - "Have a Little Faith (in Me)". This is a fantastic collection of esoteric Americana, defying categorization. This album features the drumming of Joey Baron, and it's pretty amazing to hear the variety of styles this guy has mastered, including sounding like an entire symphonic percussion section in the "covers" of Aaron Copland and Charles Ives.

I'm a late adopter digging the hell out of it ........ !

Mike

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Gone, Like a Train, features Bill playing with Jim Keltner on drums. Awesome to say the least! Kenny Wollesen plays on East/West, another great Frissell CD. Bill plays on Paul Motian's band recordings. He is also a part of the Ginger Baker trio with Charlie Haden. I'm with you 100%. Love the way Bill's chameleon-like style washes over whoever he's playing with. Also the Naked City band. wow. I don't think Bill is capable of a bad turn at the guitar. Love his unexpected playing of delay effects as well. Thanks for bringing him up!

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have most everything he's done under his own name. History/Mystery from a few years back is a real fave. One of the more unique musicians to come along in quite a while. Check out Bass Desires too with Marc Johnson, Erskine and Scofield.

Of course Joey Baron and Kenny Wollesen are wonderful as well.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks Sonorholic! Appears as if I'm just beginning here, which is a great feeling .......

Seems to me I almost rented a kit from you back in May 2014 when I was doing a show at my 50th college reunion in Cambridge. All went well, but I wish we had made the hang ....

Mike

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Frisell fan here. Love his style. He's really in his own universe as a musician. He's essentially invented his own vocabulary on the guitar and in his approach to sonics.

Had the great fortune to see him with Paul Motian and Joe Lovano at the Village Vanguard almost 10 years ago. Took a then-girlfriend on a date to that show. It was really "out" but so interesting. But the abstraction left me worried about my relationship status. :) Turned out she really enjoyed it.

One huge impression I took away was Paul Motian's absolute resistance toward straight swinging. Everything was implied, deconstructed, alluded to. Not that they were playing straight bop or anything, but even when it felt like the groove SHOULD swing, he would lean full against it and make it something else. Total restraint and fierce dedication to a challenging concept all night. What a brilliant player.

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a fan. His playing , to my ears, is either brilliant or awful. Almost never between.

Best,
skf

G Man

Reaction score
Love all aspects of Mr. Frisell.

Last edited by a moderator:

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good friend played with him on a European tour. He lived (lives?) in Seattle for a time.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
I first encountered Bill Frisell on a Lyle Mays recording many years ago. I've been a fan ever since.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He is "beyond category", as Duke would say.

darkness

and light

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Sonorholic said:
I have most everything he's done under his own name. History/Mystery from a few years back is a real fave. One of the more unique musicians to come along in quite a while. Check out Bass Desires too with Marc Johnson, Erskine and Scofield.

A big +1 on the Bass Desires stuff. Saw Bill live with them and they were awesome.

I also saw Bill with his band in London once years ago. Joey Baron on drums. Another great show. Some of Bill's stuff is a little out there, but always interesting and tasteful.

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sonorholic said:

There's another Marc Johnson record - "Sounds of Summing Running" with Marc, Frisell, Metheny and Joey Baron. The tunes and guitar playing are wonderful, but Joey is SPECTACULAR! He is so wrapped inside the songs that you can't separate him from the rest.

Paradiddle

DFO Master
Reaction score

He and the superb steel player Greg Leisz are on Lucinda's new album. Touring with her - I'm going to see them at UCLA in March.

Bigsecret

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have almost every recording of his. Don't miss the one with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones - that was my first introduction to Bill Frisell.

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chip Stern sent me this cut. I've always loved the song. Not knowing who was accompanying Renee Fleming on guitar, I wrote back to Chip saying the guitarist was brilliant. Chip told me it is Bill Frisell.

fitzsy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have and love all of the stuff with Paul Motian. I just assembled a trio with that same instrumentation to start getting into some free playing.