header.nohb.html

Any bright ideas for protecting bass drum wrap from a folded down rail consolette?

dcdrum

Reaction score
I just picked up a 1970 Ludwig Super Classic kit with a rail consolette, and I fully plan to gig it, but I'd like to not mar up the lovely Sky Blue Pearl wrap when I have to fold it down to fit in a case for transport. It seems like some sort of rubber cap over the nut on the arm might be perfect since once I have it positioned I shouldn't have to adjust it. But where would I find that, or how would I fashion one?

I've also thought of putting something on the wrap itself, like a rubber bumper (sort of like the doorknob protector thing on a wall), but I don't love the idea of sticking something to the wrap.

Covering the whole arm with something in transit could work as well...I've put a sock over one before, but it's not all that much protection and it's a bit of a pain to keep up with.

Anybody have any creative methods they've had success with?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't go all the way down and; tighten it.
what I do a 16" convert RB bass)
could be a small square of rubber there if you like)
Could be a cap on the 'nut that hits ; ha.

LarryJ

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a rubber cap I found at Home Depot. I think it is a furniture leg tip. ... AND ... I don't go all the way down and tighten it.

Last edited:

dcdrum

Reaction score
don't go all the way down and; tighten it.
what I do a 16" convert RB bass)
could be a small square of rubber there if you like)
Could be a cap on the 'nut that hits ; ha.
Yep, that's what I've always tried to do with other ones (not put it all the way down), but of course the first time I folded this one down I accidentally whacked it against the shell a little too hard for comfort, so I thought "I better foolproof this thing."

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
explain that sir!
pics or.
Sure. I often use sets with vintage rails and elongated spades for gigging. I keep the rail/spade in a fixed position for years and find it’s better to not mess with it once there. If I need to adjust height/angle it can be accomplished with the spurs. The Ahead bag has a side opening. I can let the spade extend out of the bag near the handle and still zip entirely around it.
C6C859C8-B90B-4D4D-B99A-15978F4C6D4E.jpeg

dcdrum

Reaction score
Sure. I often use sets with vintage rails and elongated spades for gigging. I keep the rail/spade in a fixed position for years and find it’s better to not mess with it once there. If I need to adjust height/angle it can be accomplished with the spurs. The Ahead bag has a side opening. I can let the spade extend out of the bag near the handle and still zip entirely around it. View attachment 575590
That's great!

Is there enough room in the bag so disappearing spurs would fit as well? I have trouble with them on my current bag, but I put larger rubber feet on them after the original tips disappeared. Mine are the curved square tube Ludwig spurs. (I take the spurs out and put them in the bag separately...it would be nice to not have to.) I assume the original small tips would have a better chance, but still stick out a couple of inches from the shell since the receiver is fairly chunky. It would be super sweet if those bags could solve both problems!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 2.55.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 2.55.48 PM.png
    269.9 KB · Views: 5

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i never move the arm, no need to reset, i use a bag that allows the arm to stick out thru the opening, nothing gets worn or damaged this way, also makes a good carry handle!

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I’ve used these(see pic) forever and place on bass drum in position under hardware/nut etc. where it could come in contact with drum. You can also use a colored magic marker to color them to match drum. Available in different sizes.
2893F6D6-4EF7-4377-8E67-6B63753AC8B9.jpeg

Reaction score
Congratulations, Dcdrum on your fine purchase!

For the last 30-odd years I've used a piece of foam pipe insulation on the consolette of my '65 22" Luddy BD. I presume that American plumbers use the same stuff to insulate heating pipes. It's dense, strong, firm but flexible (and cheap), and unlike sponge doesdn't disintegrate over time. It's grey and cylindrical with a split seam up the side to accomodate opening it to wrap around the pipe. Over here, it comes in different sizes but mine's the most common one and about 2" wide. There's always some of this left after plumbing jobs, and it can often be found on skips.

I simply cut a 6"+ length to cover the flat bar of the rail and its nut, tightening it in a horizontal position to leave no direct contact with the precious shell/wrap, and the drum still easily fits into its hard case (I leave the L-rod tightened and retracted on the small tom).

It's very quick, easy and reliable taking a second or two, and far less than the description above!

All the best, and I hope that everything goes well!

1659556772650.png

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's great!

Is there enough room in the bag so disappearing spurs would fit as well? I have trouble with them on my current bag, but I put larger rubber feet on them after the original tips disappeared. Mine are the curved square tube Ludwig spurs. (I take the spurs out and put them in the bag separately...it would be nice to not have to.) I assume the original small tips would have a better chance, but still stick out a couple of inches from the shell since the receiver is fairly chunky. It would be super sweet if those bags could solve both problems!
I use the 20x14 model for a 20x14 bass with telescoping spurs and everything fits well.

dcdrum

Reaction score
Congratulations, Dcdrum on your fine purchase!

For the last 30-odd years I've used a piece of foam pipe insulation on the consolette of my '65 22" Luddy BD. I presume that American plumbers use the same stuff to insulate heating pipes. It's dense, strong, firm but flexible (and cheap), and unlike sponge doesdn't disintegrate over time. It's grey and cylindrical with a split seam up the side to accomodate opening it to wrap around the pipe. Over here, it comes in different sizes but mine's the most common on and about 2" wide. There's always some of this left after plumbing jobs, and it can often be found on skips.

I simply cut a 6"+ length to cover the flat bar of the rail and its nut, tightening it in a horizontal position to leave no direct contact with the precious shell/wrap, and the drum still easily fits into its hard case (I leave the L-rod tightened and retracted on the small tom).

It's very quick, easy and reliable taking a second or two, and far less than the description above!

All the best, and I hope that everything goes well!

View attachment 575690
That's a good idea, too! I have some leftover from a length that I cut down to wrap an old guitar stand to add more protection.