Any cajon guys here?

troymiller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thinking of heading the 'cajon' direction, just for some new noises in one of my acoustic projects.

I have two Meinl cajons sitting beside me right now -- one is a string cajon (the Headliner model) and the other is a snare cajon (oak body, ash frontplate). Anyone used both? Which do you prefer?

I like both, but I'm not keeping both (taking one back). I'm not looking for a "just keep the one that sounds the best to you"... they both sound good to me in different ways. I wanna hear some editorial opinion on why you like the ones that you like.

Lay it on me... :)

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
I made one a couple of years ago. I looked at manufactured ones but the sound wasn't right and they wanted too much money.
I made mine out of scrap oak veneer for the box and put Mahogany on my non string side and curly Maple on string side.
I Taped floor sanding paper on front and play shuffles with fiber blast sticks. didn't effect overall tone and can still play with hands.
Great instrument for coffee houses and small acoustic gigs

bat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am a cajon man. I have not played the models you reference though. I have a Toca Big Boy cajon, as well as both Peruvian (non-string) and Flamenco (string) cajons by FatCongas. I really enjoy playing them because of the way you can play them in a more traditional sense or as a means to emulate bass/snare from a drum set perspective. When you close mic them you can really get a massive sound out of them, in spite of their relatively low volume when played unmiced.

Reaction score
Hey there...I am a "cajon guy". I am a drum set player too, but got into the cajon a few years back. I use Schlagwerk cajons exclusively and am an endorsee. I HIGHLY suggest using the Schlagwerk bass cajon. I use the model without snares in it BTW. This instrument has really changed my attitude about percussion. I wrote an article about playing cajon in Modern Drummer a few months ago as well. Check out my Myspace if you guys get the chance.... http://www.myspace.com/johnsparrow Happy to see this topic come up here cause I have been waiting for a good topic I could contribute to.

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
bat said:
I am a cajon man. I have not played the models you reference though. I have a Toca Big Boy cajon, as well as both Peruvian (non-string) and Flamenco (string) cajons by FatCongas. I really enjoy playing them because of the way you can play them in a more traditional sense or as a means to emulate bass/snare from a drum set perspective. When you close mic them you can really get a massive sound out of them, in spite of their relatively low volume when played unmiced.

Cajones (not to be confused with "cojones", haha!) are popular in traditional Peruvian music. Very unique sound. I travelled to Peru twice and both times, went to a concert demonstrating traditional music, and there was this one guy who was an amazing cajon player (he also played the full kit quite well too).

BTW, the word is pronounced "ca-HONE", or "ca-HONE-ess" for plural. Not like "cajun". :)

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
JohnSparrow said:
Hey there...I am a "cajon guy". I am a drum set player too, but got into the cajon a few years back. I use Schlagwerk cajons exclusively and am an endorsee. I HIGHLY suggest using the Schlagwerk bass cajon. I use the model without snares in it BTW. This instrument has really changed my attitude about percussion. I wrote an article about playing cajon in Modern Drummer a few months ago as well. Check out my Myspace if you guys get the chance.... http://www.myspace.com/johnsparrow Happy to see this topic come up here cause I have been waiting for a good topic I could contribute to.

Schlagwerk is IMHO the best sounding Cajon out there at the moment. We carry these and sell quite a few. They're made in Germany, so think Sonor price-wise. For those on a budget, the LP 1432 is a good value http://www.lpmusic.c...roduct_Showcase ... cajon.html

Kevin OConnor

DFO Master
Reaction score
bongojimi said:
I made one a couple of years ago. I looked at manufactured ones but the sound wasn't right and they wanted too much money.
I made mine out of scrap oak veneer for the box and put Mahogany on my non string side and curly Maple on string side.
I Taped floor sanding paper on front and play shuffles with fiber blast sticks. didn't effect overall tone and can still play with hands.
Great instrument for coffee houses and small acoustic gigs

James,

Didn't you bring one or two of the cajon's to the last DFO forumfest? I thought that it/they sounded fine 8)

Reaction score
The cajon is much different than other percussion items in that it is much like a drumset in a box.... I have an Art Rock/Prog Rock trio that I have had for over ten years, and I recently used that band at a percussion clinic I did at Interstate Music. Using only cajon, we did two numbers one of which was "Manic Depression" check it out here......

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bMEgDFXlCFA

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts