Any Canopus snare fans here?

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a steel snare and in return was going to sell my mint condition Canopus steel snare because both are steel and 5x14…and who needs 2 of such similar snares?

I bought the Canopus in 2006 new and mainly used it for a jazz jam session I was hosting at a coffee shop. I remember it sounded great but haven’t played it in years.

I just took pics of the Canopus and tuned up. It sounds sooooo goood. After some thought I have to find something else to sell, I can’t sell this one. And they are hard to come by. It really sounds amazing. It’s got tone, volume, and some ring but still precise. I could see using it for a symphonic orchestra, a jazz gig, a rock gig, or recording session depending on the tuning.
It’s gonna stay. Guess I’ll have 2 steel 5” snares. It’s also gorgeous. Never understood the brass lugs but looks great nevertheless.
A852B5C6-54C4-42E7-9777-92567A0C880D.jpeg

4F74ACA5-377D-49B8-A67F-29F0F1DBF3DD.jpeg

F0504B7B-E32B-417F-905A-C2CADD0FE886.jpeg

Cann_Man28

Reaction score
I have this drum:

I think much of what you said about yours is true of mine. It's so easy to tune and it's so sensitive and responsive. The day I bought it, I also got a Gretsch Brooklyn kit. This Canopus snare was an absolute no-brainer over the matching Gretsch Brooklyn snare. I have also played a Yaiba Maple snare--it too was amazing. I would recommend Canopus to anyone looking for a snare.

SteveParadis

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big fan of Canopus. Build quality second to none. Have several snares - maple, zelkova, and a wild tulip pancake snare. All are wonderful in their own way. Also fyi the brass lugs are used because they are a resonating metal, promoting tone and sustain. if you change your mind on the snare, I would be interested at a fair price. Best!

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had the pleasure of playing a few Canopus snares at Drummers Hangout . The Maple and the Zelkova really stood out in particular . The Yaiba II are excellent value .

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I am a fan of the drums and snares, have a birch snare, oak and a maple snare, have the 22 13 16 RFM
Kit. All excellent.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Zelkova snare drums are in a league by themselves. True solid snare drums carved out of an aged Zelkova wood log. Must be experienced to understand.

jim r

Reaction score
I have this drum:

I think much of what you said about yours is true of mine. It's so easy to tune and it's so sensitive and responsive. The day I bought it, I also got a Gretsch Brooklyn kit. This Canopus snare was an absolute no-brainer over the matching Gretsch Brooklyn snare. I have also played a Yaiba Maple snare--it too was amazing. I would recommend Canopus to anyone looking for a snare.
What is this snare model? Sounds great, i dont see it listed anywhere on their site. MO Round edge hoo ?

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Excellent drums, I just wish it had a less boring strainer. I know it is simple and works, but I would like a little more style.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes. The Zelkova is the best wood drum ever created in my opinion (and I’ve owned A LOT of top shelf drums). I stated in another thread, it’s like the wood equivalent of a cast metal shell. Dense, thick tone, unbelievable articulation.

FDEF614F-31E4-48E7-B9E2-7FF22F363B3D.jpeg

dyland

Reaction score
Touring the Southland in a traveling minstrel show
I have a 5 aluminum and 6.5 maple. Both are structurally damn near perfect. The aluminum shell is super light and airy, but with die cast and a Trick throw on it it has tons of body. The maple is new, I've only had it for about a month, but I've already been impressed with its tuning range. Both drums also hold tuning longer than any of my other snares. No funny business from Canopus.

Mcdonap

Reaction score
I'm a Canopus fan as well.

I was away from drumming for a long while and when I came back I did a lot of research into all the different components (kit, snare, cymbals, etc). Through looking into what Carlos Vega played, I found the Zelkova. Crazy as it was, I knew I had to have one!
I did find a used, mint 6.5" on eBay. Over the years, and with a lot of patience, I was able to get 5" and 8" versions as well.

I just love everything about them - especially the tone.

I remember reading DCP's description about a "solid block of sound". I had no idea what it meant until I switched out the Zelkova for one of my other snares after I'd been playing the Z for a long time. I went back to the Zelkova pretty quickly, and the description made sense.

I recently got a Summit solid shell maple that's been very satisfying to play. Otherwise, nothing really takes the place of the Zelkova.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Haven't met a Canopus product I did not like...Snares? Great. Snare wires? Top notch. The baseball style inner muffler? Awesome. The aftermarket bearings for various pedals? Improvement on every pedal. Hybrid hardware? Perfect.
This Ash set I have at the shop is amazing too ! Best 20 inch bass drum !
244280696_3092334071090504_5687763521676231632_n.jpg

SteveParadis

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ash set is another example of Canopus superior design and workmanship. Great sound and great looking. And the Canopus bearing edges are different from what I understand which contributes to the unique sound and feel. Not just a straight 30 or 45 degree or baseball bat. I think they are gently rounded bow like a sword along the hypotenuse. Anybody else familiar with the exact design?

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should never have sold my Canopus “The Bronze” snare. In my defense, I’d like to plead insanity. It has worked before. YMMV.