Any examples of removing wrap from gretsch then diy lacquer job?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any examples of removing wrap from gretsch then diy lacquer job?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
:cool:
Thinking about it. Its not the original wrap anyway. Its a precision drum company rewrap

Would I be banned from the forum?

Last edited:

TrickRoll

Reaction score
No pics I can share, but did this several times with good results in terms of sound and looks.

Beware that outer plies can vary - some are nicely grained, others not so much.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am sure stripping and lacquer is no big deal. Haven't done it yet but I am always looking for another project!
What color is the rewrap RB kit? Precision has done some RB drums for me and I am pretty sure it is very unlikely you would be able to remove a modern/recent glue job without damaging the shell - I'd sure like to see that, though.
For vintage wrap, it would be much easier - I've done Slingy and Ludwig........

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
About 40 years ago I stripped the White Satin Flame covering from my Gretsch 4157 Name Band snare using the good ol' peel off by hand method but lots of glue residue remained in the grain, so I used some Zip-Strip and steel wool to remove the glue, (the stripper bubbled up the glue like green snot) but it came off & cleaned up perfectly. After light sanding I brushed on 2 or3 coats of Marine Spar Varnish and the drum came out really nice, with a vibrant golden-amber maple hue.

btw, I don't think Zip-Strip is still an available product. That was some toxic stuff.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am sure stripping and lacquer is no big deal. Haven't done it yet but I am always looking for another project!
What color is the rewrap RB kit? Precision has done some RB drums for me and I am pretty sure it is very unlikely you would be able to remove a modern/recent glue job without damaging the shell - I'd sure like to see that, though.
For vintage wrap, it would be much easier - I've done Slingy and Ludwig........
I talked to Gary about this. Some of it depends on the wrap itself. Sparkle/glitter wraps are heavier than pearl wraps.
He said i could never get the pink glitter wrap off my drums without damaging them.
Regarding my RB , which I bought from Paul Wells..who bought them from Steve Maxwell . .all he said was they were a re-wrap by precision...probably 10 years old..so maybe now 12-13? I could be wrong..

1. Gary would probably say he wouldnt do it. Just sell the RB and buy a wrapped kit.

2. Others might go for it

3. ? Maybe Gary would say try it. Actually a little of the wrap on the floor tom is coming undone.

4. The wrap on my slingerland snare was white satin flame. It came of so easy. Very little glue and very very thin wrap. 12" was tiger red pearl. Again easy. Floor Tom was chrome. That was a beast. Took me hours of hard labor and took some wood off :oops:

5. Option 5. Leave them the F as they are. Get off internet and stop fueling my GAS.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got email from Gary and one other friend.

DONT DO IT

Okay, moving on.

Precision doest mess around. Their glue jobs are very thorough. Lots of glue and not made to unwrap.

I would buy Shiner's kit but I have to admit, as absolutely gorgeous in looks and sound as they are ...the 12" tom mount is a deal breaker.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

DONT DO IT

Okay, moving on.

Precision doest mess around. Their glue jobs are very thorough. Lots of glue and not made to unwrap. (Unless had a precision wrap job they removed with success I will go with Gary's recommendation)

I would buy Shiner's kit but I have to admit, as absolutely gorgeous in looks and sound as they are ...the 12" tom mount is a deal breaker.

I really only need two kits

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I took the blue sparkle wrap off a name band RB snare and it came off easily. I could have refinished it but actually flipped the wrap and made some hole adjustments and a few hole fills, and reglued it with the blue inside and the red outside! Few coats of light poly to give it a shine and I still have it. Matches my red RB kit pretty well......although the kit is red glass and snare is red sparkle.....

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Its a 100% no go. Precision said since the glue the wrap to the whole drum its not going to come off without ruining the drum.

In the old days they used much less glue.

OK. Moving on to the next drama :cool: :happy6:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Its a 100% no go. Precision said since the glue the wrap to the whole drum its not going to come off without ruining the drum.

In the old days they used much less glue.

OK. Moving on to the next drama :cool: :happy6:

Sorry to waste everyone's time.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess people can learn from other's mistakes and rants and raves and GAS

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

DONT DO IT

Okay, moving on.

Precision doest mess around. Their glue jobs are very thorough. Lots of glue and not made to unwrap.

Which tom mount? The Starcast thing? That's a great mount. Very functional, too. Of course, you can always take it off and just use a snare stand. Also, the mount on the bass drum doesn't go into the drum, btw.

Glad you're not taking that wrap off. Whew. It was making me nervous just thinking about it.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 12. Its got that extra diecast hole for the mount.
Totally ocd of me.
I think i am only going to ever search for a rare bird.
Original Yamaha maple custom bebop in that green lacquer.
One In a million chance to find im sure

Its really "impossible" to take that wrap off. Precision drum company is too good. Ha