Any examples of removing wrap from gretsch then diy lacquer job?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"I want to be involved in your next purchase" HAA!!! I'm gonna Lead You To The Promised Land LOLOLOL!!!!HA!!!

what do you think of Carl Palmers all Steel set?>>

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"I want to be involved in your next purchase" HAA!!! I'm gonna Lead You To The Promised Land LOLOLOL!!!!HA!!!

what do you think of Carl Palmers all Steel set?>>
:spam1:

Give me $2800 and Ill buy my next kit

Hey wait! I got $2400 from IRS today.

Woah

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The gretsch or slingies?
Either, I guess. I was asking about the Gretsches. I'm curious about if the wrap is such a deal breaker as it is that you'd consider getting rid of them. Not at all interested in buying, just wondering where your mind is.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My mind is shot.

Its more a function of not having gigs right now and therefore (by choice I guess) spending more time than usual ( some would say no Killian...you spend all the time doing this) on here and lusting.

I am 100% overjoyed with the sound and look of my Gretsches. I love the feel and throaty one of a kind tone from my Slingerlands. So I have two "dream" kits. What more could I ask for?

It is probably that I need to focus more on other stuff. As far as equipment goes I would say I am MORE than set. More than most. I am blessed.

It would be nice to have a lacquer kit and I love the Yamaha Maple Custom sea green color that Al Foster used to play. But that YRC bebop kit in dark walnut is just beautiful. But do I need it? No.

If I WERE to sell a kit the RB would probably get me closer to getting my money back. But...I have a couple matching snares and the Coliseum. I mean it would just be plain dumb to sell them ...UNLESS....they just literally sat as museum pieces at my house going ungigged. It is too early to tell. Once I start getting some gigs again..if ever....we shall see what set I bring the most.

I have Three sets. Slingerlands, Gretsch and a large Mapex kit that is great that none of you have seen. 12x9, 16x16 and 20x16 bass drum in olive lacquer. I let my school borrow it.

I could use that as my teaching kit.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My mind is shot.

Its more a function of not having gigs right now and therefore (by choice I guess) spending more time than usual ( some would say no Killian...you spend all the time doing this) on here and lusting.

I am 100% overjoyed with the sound and look of my Gretsches. I love the feel and throaty one of a kind tone from my Slingerlands. So I have two "dream" kits. What more could I ask for?

It is probably that I need to focus more on other stuff. As far as equipment goes I would say I am MORE than set. More than most. I am blessed.

It would be nice to have a lacquer kit and I love the Yamaha Maple Custom sea green color that Al Foster used to play. But that YRC bebop kit in dark walnut is just beautiful. But do I need it? No.

If I WERE to sell a kit the RB would probably get me closer to getting my money back. But...I have a couple matching snares and the Coliseum. I mean it would just be plain dumb to sell them ...UNLESS....they just literally sat as museum pieces at my house going ungigged. It is too early to tell. Once I start getting some gigs again..if ever....we shall see what set I bring the most.

I have Three sets. Slingerlands, Gretsch and a large Mapex kit that is great that none of you have seen. 12x9, 16x16 and 20x16 bass drum in olive lacquer. I let my school borrow it.

Suuuuuuuure... You'll probably just bust out ANOTHER kit in a few months. And then another after that! Where else do you keep em hidden?

Reaction score
Tom this is an intervention!!!!

So you are finally happy cymbal-wise. But be careful!

A VERY cool vintage kit, a cool "modern" kit, a cool little personalized kit, a teaching kit.... That's how it all starts.

The next step is, "Hmmmn, I haven't played a 5 piece kit for a while, maybe I'll get another tom for that Gretsch kit."

Then, " I sort of like playing a 5 piece, maybe I'll get another tom for the Yamaha kit."

Then, "Since I like playing a 5 piece, and I play my Slingerlands at most gigs, maybe I should get another tom for that kit."

Etc, etc, etc, on and on.....
Until you drum room looks like this.

IMG_0911.jpg

and this,
IMG_1179.jpg

And you've got your working drums in the cases, all ready to go out the door because you are too lazy to tear down and set up drums at home...
IMG_1177.jpg

And then, "You know, I've never played one of those (fill in the blank here) snare drums. I've got a little extra dough maybe I'll get one, just to check it out."

And before you know it, you're building shelves....

IMG_1169.jpg

Just walk away before it's too late....
MSG

(But I REALLY dig those little Yamaha Green Maple Customs with the gold lugs too! However, I like the 8x14 Recording Custom Snares more than the 8x14 Maple Customs.)

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ha Ha. I know you are serious and love me but you giving me an intervention is like a drug user doing a drug intervention. Hah Look at all those freaking drums! And I bet you have more cymbals than me too.

Yeah. Well no worries because I don't have near the space you do for that many drums. Even if I wanted to.

Yeah maybe you are right.

Vintage kit #1 - Gretsch
Vintage kit #2 - Slingerland
Modern Kit - Joe will you buy me that walnut recording custom kit for my birthday?

I DO have a lot of snares Mark....but nowhere near what you have. My God. That is like a candy store. I can see 34 snares there? Plus 6 more. That is 40 snares you own?

Jeeeeeeez.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
What I don't have is a big rock Kit. Or big rock Beater kit.
I got rid of 22" bass sets back in 1999 .

and I don't want one.

Reaction score
Ha Ha. I know you are serious and love me but you giving me an intervention is like a drug user doing a drug intervention. Hah Look at all those freaking drums! And I bet you have more cymbals than me too.

Yeah. Well no worries because I don't have near the space you do for that many drums. Even if I wanted to.

Yeah maybe you are right.

Vintage kit #1 - Gretsch
Vintage kit #2 - Slingerland
Modern Kit - Joe will you buy me that walnut recording custom kit for my birthday?

I DO have a lot of snares Mark....but nowhere near what you have. My God. That is like a candy store. I can see 34 snares there? Plus 6 more. That is 40 snares you own?

Jeeeeeeez.
Yup you are absolutely right. It's like those parents in the 80's lecturing their kids about not smoking as they have a butt hanging from their lips. "It's (cough cough) really (cough cough cough) bad (hack up some phlegm) for you. Don't let me catch you smoking! Hey, do you have a match???"

Snares? I've lost track, I have snares everywhere, a few recording studios, in the car for gigs, in cases, on the shelves... I should count them up. I thought it was around 60 at last count, maybe my wife (or cat) sold a few. All I know, is I'm at "about" maximum density "drum-wise." Cymbals? Who knows (or cares.) Same thing, they are everywhere. I'm set.

Yup Joe, he's 3/4 of the way there already (on sets,) and he doesn't even know it.
But, if you are going to buy him a birthday kit, buy him a set of the Green Yamaha Customs with the gold hardware, so when he sells them, I can buy them from. him.

MSG

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yamaha Maple Custom – Black Maple (7 Drum Shell Pack) $3,000.00
8 x 8, 10 x 7.5, 12 x 8, 14 x 12, 15 x 13, 16 x 14, 22 x 16

Ok?..So,
10 x 7.5, 12 x 8, 14 x 12, 16 x 14
you ask/__/him you want those (you convert and spur the 15 or 16..)

(or some combination...He can keep__
8 x 8 15 x 13 22 x 16

Reaction score
Sorry Joe, I ain't got nothing for sale. And I ain't buying anything. Yeah I bought my backup SCDR from Tom. Yeah I know, "Backup SCDR?!?!?!?

I have one SCDR that is AMAZING and sentimental. I would never want to put it on a plane or have it get lost or damaged, so YES I bought a backup (it's a pretty important sound to me.) It's the ONLY piece of gear that I have a spare-backup.

Now if you find someone selling a shell bank of Green Maple Customs with gold hardware, and they don't want the 12, 14, 18, give me a call. Otherwise, save the dime (you still have payphones out there in da Burgh right?) or just leave a message.

MSG

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My mind is shot.

Wow three sets! Im impressed with your self control!