Any examples of removing wrap from gretsch then diy lacquer job?

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How many do you have?
I think 7+. One is my usual gigging Kit and is basically a shell bank. I regularly use 5 of them but swap in various drums to suit the occasion. Sadly there are two that only get used occasionally but they are there when I need them. Im at my limit though!!

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could buy that Walnut RC set for $2800

OR

For only $100 more I could get just this snare. What a deal!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could buy that Walnut RC set for $2800

OR

For only $100 more I could get just this snare. What a deal!

C'mon! 3K for a Yamaha snare? Nothing against the brand, but don't you guys think you could accomplish the same thing for $300?

Reaction score
(I hope this Reverb seller isn't a member here, because I'm about to insult him.)

It looks like someone on Reverb has been hitting the chloroquine again, because that's INSANE!!!

I don't know how the new ones compare to the older ones, (nor do I know what the newer ones actually sell for, but that price just can't be right.) But when I was shopping for a used one (with the sensitive strainer that I like) they were plentiful at around 500 to 600 bucks. I finally bought one from my friend and jazz drummer Eliot Zigmund for even less.

And mine has the "mojo" of the gigs that it had done (Bill Evans, Michel Pettrucianni, etc.) Actually, that's sort of a joke, I don't think that adds to an instrument's value at all. To me it's "sort of" cool though. But from what it seems, and what Eliot remembered, it is a "custom" color that wasn't offered by Yamaha back then (silver sparkle lacquer.)

I love those 8x14 Recording Custom's though, I use mine all of the time! Probably my favorite "newer" wooden ply drum.

Tom, don't feel bad about lusting after a Recording Custom Bop kit, if I found an older one used, and at a good price in white or black (or maybe a natural wood?) I would be very tempted.

But those green Maples with the gold hardware......
The way they look makes me sweat,
MSG

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I asked the seller on Reverb if that was a misprint because I could get a whole set for $2899 free shipping

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think i would find some mahogany bass drum hoops though.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Woah

Holy Wah.

$2200? With that rail? And that spot where someone sanded through the outer ply?
Beautiful set of drums, but the price seems a bit high for a re-finish.

Latest posts