Any experience with 10” deep snare drums?

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a snare a little out of the ordinary to compliment a North Marathon kit and pulled the trigger on a 14x10” acrylic from Liberty drums. I’m tall and the layout of North drums requires sitting high even if that wasn’t my preference so not worried about positioning but just curious of others experience with ultra deep snares. Beyond a little experimentation with marching snares on kit I’ve never owned anything deeper than a 15x7.5” Slingerland before. Thanks

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 15"x10" that I use regularly as a "snom". Had it on a Tama Low Snare Stand, and that worked, but it wasn't ideal. Drilled and installed floor tom legs, and it's a lot easier to position now.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The lowest stands only go down to 14.5 inches, so if you think that’s ok, give it a go
I have a couple early 2000’s ludwig snare stands that will go low enough to use a 15x12 marching shell even with my floor tom on a vintage kit so I’m covered there. More curious as to sound/response as I patiently await shipping. I’ve never used a snare this deep with regular wires snares, or an acrylic snare other than tapping on stuff in stores

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They seem to sound pretty good at least! May feel like playing a matching snare though.
Thanks. That vistalite conversion should be in the ball park.
7C876D99-59B9-43EF-B383-FB6D30C02645.jpeg
36EFB2C4-61D2-40F1-AA89-65A3FA36BCDB.jpeg
7DBD1957-4DF8-4FA5-9AFF-E87EE10A92B8.jpeg
I’m cautiously optimistic. The kit I plan to pair it with has synthetic shells with Fibes Lugs so I was searching reverb for Fibes Lugs to build my own 14x8” but this Liberty popped up for an affordable price and seemed suitably absurd to be a possible pairing.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Thanks. That vistalite conversion should be in the ball park. View attachment 513521 View attachment 513522 View attachment 513523 I’m cautiously optimistic. The kit I plan to pair it with has synthetic shells with Fibes Lugs so I was searching reverb for Fibes Lugs to build my own 14x8” but this Liberty popped up for an affordable price and seemed suitably absurd to be a possible pairing.
I think it’ll be a great pair with the north drums! Loud and unconventional, wild.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
L
Thanks. That vistalite conversion should be in the ball park. View attachment 513521 View attachment 513522 View attachment 513523 I’m cautiously optimistic. The kit I plan to pair it with has synthetic shells with Fibes Lugs so I was searching reverb for Fibes Lugs to build my own 14x8” but this Liberty popped up for an affordable price and seemed suitably absurd to be a possible pairing.
Looks like it has a Kevlar head on it, will be marching snare like for sure.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ya one 10” deep snare. Never again. Finding a snare stand to go as low as I play was impossible. I used a hanging mount and Tom stand. It was weird. Lol

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
At least it's acrylic. If someone had put a kevlar head on an 8-lug wooden drum I'd lay some money on there being edge damage.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How did it sound/play?
I had a wood one maple I believe. Tuned low I didn’t care for. It was to floppy. Tuned high I loved had a nice crack with a lower pitch. If it wasn’t for how awkward it was I would of kept it

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Many moons ago I turned a 10x14 Gretsch tom into a snare and was mildly interesting on a kit...where is that tall throne thread....was waaay too high even on a shorty snare stand....or maybe I was.....
Now, as mentioned, it serves as a "snom" along with 14" and 18" roto's, some cymbals and gongs...as I have a little quasi chamber classical ensemble where we attempt Satie and Bartok pieces.
bt

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The add said it was an evans hybrid, which seems to be marketed for set but i will definitely be inspecting the top edge and all the lugs as soon as it comes in. Stil remember how pre-free floating pearl marching snares reacted to high tension and kevlar heads

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You guys got me a little nervous on height, so I took some measurements. With the current 14x6.5” Ludwig Classic Birch I’ve been using with the North Kit, I have the top hoop at roughly 28” high. With the snare stand dropped to its lowest the top hoop is at 20.5” so the extra 3.5” should be a non issue as long as the bottom hoop doesn’t get in the way of the slave bass drum pedal. Appreciate all the input so far

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
The add said it was an evans hybrid, which seems to be marketed for set but i will definitely be inspecting the top edge and all the lugs as soon as it comes in. Stil remember how pre-free floating pearl marching snares reacted to high tension and kevlar heads
Those heads are fine, they don’t damage edges.