Any experience with 10” deep snare drums?

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those heads are fine, they don’t damage edges.
As long as no one tried to tune it up like a marching snare it should be fine. The old heavy maple shelled pearls actually buckled between the hoop and lugs from the strain of remo black max’s cranked. I’m optimistic

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Yeah - I was more speaking to user expectations than the actual head.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Ah yeah man, I love the deeper snares
Gives you a much heavier and fatter sound with a little more WHOOMPF to it.

I have a couple 5x14, (1) 6.5x14, one 8x14, one 8.5x14, one 10x14 (Tama SLP with the floor tom legs and love it), and one 12x15 snare.

All have their own characteristics but I tend to love the deeper the better. The issue with stands is a big one, but Pearl has a stand that gets super low and can hyper link it here if you want. I can stick up to the 8.5" deep on that and play comfortably - and I like my snares low since I got orangutan proportions with freakishly long arms.

The 10" deep again is on floor tom legs and I do love that - would recommend it to people who want that challenge. The 12x15 marching snare is a beast and I put marching heads on it. I'll probably remove the marching head and replace it with a 15" coated emperor (I'm usually coated emperor batter and clear or hazy ambassador reso player).

If you can do floor tom legs with the bigger one, it might be worth it. But if it's a vistalite/acrylic shell, I'd be concerned with long term integrity and probably wouldn't recommend it. I think that pearl stand is the way to go, or at least take your snare to a guitar center that has it and try it out.

Let me know how it goes man!

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah yeah man, I love the deeper snares
Gives you a much heavier and fatter sound with a little more WHOOMPF to it.

I have a couple 5x14, (1) 6.5x14, one 8x14, one 8.5x14, one 10x14 (Tama SLP with the floor tom legs and love it), and one 12x15 snare.

All have their own characteristics but I tend to love the deeper the better. The issue with stands is a big one, but Pearl has a stand that gets super low and can hyper link it here if you want. I can stick up to the 8.5" deep on that and play comfortably - and I like my snares low since I got orangutan proportions with freakishly long arms.

The 10" deep again is on floor tom legs and I do love that - would recommend it to people who want that challenge. The 12x15 marching snare is a beast and I put marching heads on it. I'll probably remove the marching head and replace it with a 15" coated emperor (I'm usually coated emperor batter and clear or hazy ambassador reso player).

If you can do floor tom legs with the bigger one, it might be worth it. But if it's a vistalite/acrylic shell, I'd be concerned with long term integrity and probably wouldn't recommend it. I think that pearl stand is the way to go, or at least take your snare to a guitar center that has it and try it out.

Let me know how it goes man!
I think I have the stand covered with the older Ludwig. The way the old North Drums rack works, and the overall height of the toms requires everything else sit pretty high to begin with. How is the snare sensitivity on the super deep stuff? Still waiting for shipping notification and getting kind of antsy. I want to try this beast out. Thanks for the input

Ajbambino

Reaction score
I think I have the stand covered with the older Ludwig. The way the old North Drums rack works, and the overall height of the toms requires everything else sit pretty high to begin with. How is the snare sensitivity on the super deep stuff? Still waiting for shipping notification and getting kind of antsy. I want to try this beast out. Thanks for the input
What up what up - not going to lie, depending on the snare, the sensitivity is either super easy or an absolute pain to dial in. But once it's in, trust me, it's a monster that everyone will be like HOOOOOOOLY CRAP!

For example, the 8x14 Remo quadura snare is beautiful and dials in suuuuuuper easy. Same with the Tama SLP 10x14. The 8.5" deep bronze LP Banda Snare is my most favorite and prized snare.....but nice hell, whether I use the 42 strand or 16 strand - it just goes obnoxiously loud for days... even with my custom ear protection it's too much sometimes and I have to always fight the loud snap vs quick to go rattle. But once its in, I think Bonham would be proud!

The 12x15 is a converted marching super sensitive to supraphonic and dials in relatively easy compared to the other snares....but it has marching heads and Tuned super high - I haven't made an honest effort to put a regular emperor head and try it but I can't imagine it being any more difficult.

Hope this answered your question. Also, if you can, would you send a sound recording of the acrylic when you get it? I'm kinda stoked to hear how that sounds

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Im
What up what up - not going to lie, depending on the snare, the sensitivity is either super easy or an absolute pain to dial in. But once it's in, trust me, it's a monster that everyone will be like HOOOOOOOLY CRAP!

For example, the 8x14 Remo quadura snare is beautiful and dials in suuuuuuper easy. Same with the Tama SLP 10x14. The 8.5" deep bronze LP Banda Snare is my most favorite and prized snare.....but nice hell, whether I use the 42 strand or 16 strand - it just goes obnoxiously loud for days... even with my custom ear protection it's too much sometimes and I have to always fight the loud snap vs quick to go rattle. But once its in, I think Bonham would be proud!

The 12x15 is a converted marching super sensitive to supraphonic and dials in relatively easy compared to the other snares....but it has marching heads and Tuned super high - I haven't made an honest effort to put a regular emperor head and try it but I can't imagine it being any more difficult.

Hope this answered your question. Also, if you can, would you send a sound recording of the acrylic when you get it? I'm kinda stoked to hear how that sounds
I’m not setup for anything better than a cell phone video but I’ll try to get something up with a supra or something common for comparison

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a snare a little out of the ordinary to compliment a North Marathon kit and pulled the trigger on a 14x10” acrylic from Liberty drums. I’m tall and the layout of North drums requires sitting high even if that wasn’t my preference so not worried about positioning but just curious of others experience with ultra deep snares. Beyond a little experimentation with marching snares on kit I’ve never owned anything deeper than a 15x7.5” Slingerland before. Thanks
I converted a 20 dollar 14X 12 old-school Imperialstar tom into a snare using a Trick kit. Absolute killer-sounding as it is powerful. It is a very forgiving snare whether you pound it like an anvil or lightly like a hummingbird. I've used it playing light lounge jazz for years. As you can see, it's suspended off the HexRack. No stinking stand needed.

Attachments

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got the 14x10” Liberty acrylic in. Its a nice drum that seems to have been part of Liberty’s 2015 NAMM display. My first acrylic drum so kind of hard to describe how much the depth impacts the sound. Pretty sensitive, very few overtones. Doesn’t sound to far from ordinary played softly, but played hard it hits you in the chest like a bass drum. I can’t figure out how to attach a video of the awful Iphone recording I made so not much of a review but I’m pretty happy with it.

No issue with height for me.I could still drop it about 5” on the Ludwig stand, but I would have to bring it closer then as the snare basket is slightly overhanging my bass drum.
6052F920-E561-4CDD-86F3-97A10638C753.jpeg
8BB7C822-6359-442C-BD1B-63D99E9B61A4.jpeg

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 70's Slingy 10x14 tom that I converted to a snare for fun. Very impractical on the kit due to size and low pitch but ok as a marcher. I ended up making it a micro bass!

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a 70's Slingy 10x14 tom that I converted to a snare for fun. Very impractical on the kit due to size and low pitch but ok as a marcher. I ended up making it a micro bass!
Nice. With how “woody” for lack of a better term my 5x15” Slingerland is I can imagine the 10x14” wasn’t the most versatile but I bet the sounds it would make were good. The 10” deep acrylic is turning out pretty well. It definitely helps that I sit high to begin with and the kit I’m playing it with is very tall

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That vistalite conversion should be in the ball park. View attachment 513521 View attachment 513522 View attachment 513523 I’m cautiously optimistic. The kit I plan to pair it with has synthetic shells with Fibes Lugs so I was searching reverb for Fibes Lugs to build my own 14x8” but this Liberty popped up for an affordable price and seemed suitably absurd to be a possible pairing.
Look like the clump of mushrooms I bought at the farmer's market last weekend

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Look like the clump of mushrooms I bought at the farmer's market last weekend
There is a significant possibility a clump of mushrooms was involved in the conception or design of North Drums

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would say a 14x10 shell makes for two proper snare shells. Tune the batter low and you have all the depth you need.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would say a 14x10 shell makes for two proper snare shells. Tune the batter low and you have all the depth you need.
The world would be a more boring place if all drums were built the same.