Any experiences in DIY powder coating?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I`m planning to get my Phonic hardware powder coated in satin black. I learned that the Sonor`s Hitech hardware from th e80s was powder coated too.

Does anyone have experience in powder coating or painting hardware parts? Do they have to get sandblasted before?

My brother recently bought one of that DIY powder pistols and gets really nice results in restoring car parts with it.

Tim

mcirish

Reaction score
The difficulty is having an oven big enough to put it in. I did some powder coating on aluminum boxes years ago. It came out well but is really dependent on the oven. Remember, after you spray the piece, you have to get it in to an oven without touching any part of it. It's just a thin coating of plastic dust. It will wipe off really easy and you can't redo it if you mess up without taking it all off. It's not hard to do but you have to have the space and a big oven where it can hang just as you sprayed it. It also needs to be super clean. No oils can be on it or you will get orange peeling.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Someone posted maybe 2 mos ago about this - it looked pretty good. I think he bought a tool from Harbor Freight for dirt cheap and used a microwave? I don't recall...
maybe it was anodizing..........

pgm554

Reaction score
Someone posted maybe 2 mos ago about this - it looked pretty good. I think he bought a tool from Harbor Freight for dirt cheap and used a microwave? I don't recall...
maybe it was anodizing..........
No way you can use a microwave with a metal hoop.
It will cause arcing.

Latest posts