Any favorite techniques to remove duct tape from Cymbals?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had a floor tom that someone had "rewrapped" in duct tape (beautiful fed sparkle underneath so why?). The best thing I found to get the white residue offf was, oddly, WD40. It took a lot of elbow grease as well but it did all come off and did not hurt the finish. A cymbal is a much more robust surface and you could probably use something more aggressive but WD40 should work and is pretty benign.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Acetone if you have it. It'll evaporate off but I would wipe it off anyway. If you have Googone or a citrus based cleaner that'll work too, but ensure to wipe it off.

Reactions: REF

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Heat gun (or your wife's hair dryer) to remove the tape and the glue residue comes right off with a bit of lighter fluid. Done it many times. Good luck.

Maninblack

Reaction score
A safe but laborious method of removing tape or label glue residue is butter. Get a decent lump of butter on your finger and start to rub it all over the glue. You have to keep at it for about 10 minutes but eventually it dissolves the glue.

Last edited:

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mineral spirits would work great. I've re-gripped golf clubs for over 20 years. The mineral spirits breaks up/loosens adhesives nicely. Takes those stupid bar code stickers off the bottom of the cymbal in about 30 seconds.

slapstick

Reaction score
Old duct tape removal. How do all of you approach removing?
cigarette-lighter fluid. in the u.k you can buy small cans of it...,.,, let it sink in or sort of sit there, then rub it out.very easy.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Mineral spirits would work great. I've re-gripped golf clubs for over 20 years. The mineral spirits breaks up/loosens adhesives nicely. Takes those stupid bar code stickers off the bottom of the cymbal in about 30 seconds.
I always use lighter fluid for this for nearly 40 years now.....

Latest posts