Any good professional place that rewraps drums in SoCal area?

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jazzhead, the beauty of Pro Drum is that Stan and Jerry treat even the pros just like every other customer (I’ve witnessed it personally). Stan’s irreverence allows him to tackle the delicate jobs most would be afraid to tackle. They don’t call him the Butcher of Vine St for nothing!

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had some edge work done at Chris's shop a couple weeks ago. He is an amazing drum whisper. He much prefers to paint now because of the quality of wrap materials and glue now.

Call him - if he will do it he's your Huckleberry. His shop is in Angel City Drums warehouse - you will see MANY kits that you've seen on TV shows, and heard on records.

Jeff

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jazzhead, the beauty of Pro Drum is that Stan and Jerry treat even the pros just like every other customer (I’ve witnessed it personally). Stan’s irreverence allows him to tackle the delicate jobs most would be afraid to tackle. They don’t call him the Butcher of Vine St for nothing!
True, I gotta stop by there, haven’t been there for a long time but I saw Stan at hollywood drum show in Glendale last year, got a little pro drum key chain from him. I also need some bags that I can buy from them.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had some edge work done at Chris's shop a couple weeks ago. He is an amazing drum whisper. He much prefers to paint now because of the quality of wrap materials and glue now.

Call him - if he will do it he's your Huckleberry. His shop is in Angel City Drums warehouse - you will see MANY kits that you've seen on TV shows, and heard on records.

Jeff
Yea I know Chris’ work is top notch but I am thinking about purple glass glitter wrap, for some reason I am attracted to that wrap otherwise I always prefer natural wood finishes.
Has the quality of wraps on the market dropped? I was thinking I could use the same wraps that Precision drum company uses, I assume most of the builders use the same brand wraps since they have been in the business for a long time and have identified the quality materials.

Last edited:

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes the quality of wraps has changed and they seem less resistant to temperature changes. When you combine that with the restrictive laws on what glue you can and can't use in California, Chris can't warranty your wrap from lifting. He is one of the most honest men I've ever met, so the thought of his work going bad at some point kills him. So he's really shifted gears toward's painting.

Have him quote you painting purple glass glitter. He had a painted mardi gras finish on a snare in his shop that he showed me that was stupid beautiful. Looked just like the sample of wrap he copied - only the black was way deeper (thinking as deep as Yamaha piano black).

It was beautiful.

Give him a call - I'm jealous you are 10 minutes away. It's a two hour drive from Orange County into Burbank to his shop. LOL

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cost is another factor, I need to see how much these guys charge and compare. Based on the price list on Precision drum company’s website, to rewrap a 18/14/12 it will come out to be about $500 (wrap cost + labor).

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Chris Heuer can do it.
I know Chris personally and he is one of the best drum craftsmen out there! However, he is a one-man operation and a re-wrap could take some time depending on what he has going on. Chris is so busy that he now has someone else answer his calls (this person is actually out-of-state!) and will relay the messages back to Chris. I've never had any issues getting hold of Chris this way.

What I will tell you is that Chris most likely will not do a re-wrap in a sparkle finish, due to how they are now manufactured. He wrapped my 2006 Export kit in Blue Sparkle, using the correct adhesives, and the wrap bubbled while I took pictures of them out in the sunshine, in only 75 degree weather! The wrap was purchased from Precision and Chris was able to get a refund. He then removed my wrap and did a custom paint job instead!

-Mark

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know Chris personally and he is one of the best drum craftsmen out there! However, he is a one-man operation and a re-wrap could take some time depending on what he has going on. Chris is so busy that he now has someone else answer his calls (this person is actually out-of-state!) and will relay the messages back to Chris. I've never had any issues getting hold of Chris this way.

What I will tell you is that Chris most likely will not do a re-wrap in a sparkle finish, due to how they are now manufactured. He wrapped my 2006 Export kit in Blue Sparkle, using the correct adhesives, and the wrap bubbled while I took pictures of them out in the sunshine, in only 75 degree weather! The wrap was purchased from Precision and Chris was able to get a refund. He then removed my wrap and did a custom paint job instead!

-Mark
Thanks for the info. I assume if he is having issues with the wraps then every other custom builder will have the same issue. This sucks!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I assume if he is having issues with the wraps then every other custom builder will have the same issue. This sucks!
Yes, as others have already posted, it has to do with both how the wraps are now made and the type of glues that can be used. Modern sparkle wraps seem to be almost like a PVC material. Combine that with the popular 3M 30-NF glue and there can be adhesion issues in even moderate heat! I had my custom Rogers 12x15 floor tom conversion wrapped in a Blue Glass Glitter by Precision Drum and it's been holding well over the years now. The same for my custom Montineri Dynasonic clone shell, which was also wrapped in Blue Glass Glitter. Still holding strong.

-Mark

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Many shops don't know how to do the edges correctly and say it will eventually lift. Precision uses a different cement for the overlap and they don't have an edge lifting issue.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jazzhead,

Aren't The Drum Doctors near you?
I wonder if they couldn't help you.

Elvis
I live in the same city as Drum Doctors, you can only visit them by appointment. I haven’t asked them yet but pretty sure they do rewraps, I just haven’t talked to anyone who did a wrap job at drum doctors so don’t know about their quality of work, specifically wrapping drums. I have only heard good things about Chris (drum lab) and Precision.
So if the wraps don’t have good quality anymore and you are limited in the type of glue you can use in CA, what do the larger custom builders like Q drums do? Where do they get their stuff from? I don’t think they sell bubbly looking finished drums, maybe they don’t do sparkle/glitter finishes.
Edit: I checked Q drums website, they do all kinds of finishes, but only on their own drums.

Last edited:

drummerfish

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
ditto on "on the edge". however the last time i contacted him for one of my buyers he said he wasn't doing it for others anymore, then later on he said he was. BUT that was a quite sometime ago (atleast a couple of years) so check into it. i don't work in the drum biz anymore so i'm a bit out of the loop.

as for chris...in my opinion its a hit or miss. he was doing work for a store i used to work at in the 90's and some people were happy while others...not so much. i also used to work for a indie drum company and a few people would bring in their drums to be fixed. i'm not trying to detour you or anyone else but i only know what i've experienced. there's also the factor of when he has available time.

you can also try other indie drum companies in the area (Q drums and pork pie come to mind) as many of them do re-wraps but don't advertise it. bill at pp probably still does it but i haven't seen him in years.

i will say if you have special requests on how you want them wrapped then you have to let them know ahead of time. my friend took his floor tom to chris to be wrapped like ludwig did it and chris didn't do that. namm is also coming up so if your able to get it then that would be a good time to check out the local indies.

also, if you talkin' purple glass glitter then i know the cost for the material isn't cheap so you need to consider if the drums are really worth putting that money into. and no matter who does the job odds are they will have to order it and most will be charging about the same due to the material AND labor. its just how it is.

last i remember, so-cal is filled with indie drum builders, so if you find someone to do it for say $100. less than someone else, then you might be sacrificing a quality job. also a possibility.

Latest posts