header.nohb.html

Any Idea What’s Up With Lone Star Percussion?

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
In grad school I drove hundreds of miles to play all their tambourines and triangles, and buy the best ones.
tambourineparty.jpg

kevinyarger

Reaction score
They've always been a fixture at PASIC for as long as I can remember. Not sure if I've ever purchased something from them though. I usually purchased all my percussion equipment from Steve Weiss.

Many many years ago Zildjian had some sort of computer glitch and just randomly out of the blue mailed me a Z Custom crash and some ZBT's. As a young teen that was pretty cool, figured since I had sent a couple cymbals in for warranty earlier that maybe they were trying to tell me something with such a heavy crash. Anyways, my father, the wise man that he is, sensed something was up and called Zildjian to see why I was so special. Turns out, I'm not special and they wanted their cymbals back. So we shipped them back to them. Zildjian did however send us a couple shirts as a thank you. I always wondered how many cymbals accidentally got shipped out to unsuspecting mailboxes and not returned because of that computer error.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
Pretty sure I saw a Lone Star Percussion truck/trailer at a high school marching competition yesterday. Which may explain some of their unresponsiveness. Contest season is here, and there's an unbelievable amount of high schools with astonishingly big percussion sections in this area.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
It looks like they took the multiple posts, including mine, dealing with botched/no show orders and inability to get in contact with them off of their Facebook page. I posted a thread there calling out the folks whose merchandise showed up at my address and it got deleted almost immediately, as far as I can tell.
Merry Odoont and Allen H Wells, I have your stuff!

mathale

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamefully, I have never been inside there even though I'm local. But they don't keep hours that allow me to visit.
Small little shop with a huge warehouse in the back.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
Pretty sure I saw a Lone Star Percussion truck/trailer at a high school marching competition yesterday. Which may explain some of their unresponsiveness. Contest season is here, and there's an unbelievable amount of high schools with astonishingly big percussion sections in this area.

Now that I think about it, that truck probably belonged to Lone Star High School from Frisco, Tx, who was fabulous. I mean, I've never seen a 5a school perform at that level, giving even the top 6a schools a run for their money. Still, I'm sure Lone Star Percussion is quite busy servicing all these schools right now.

These kids at the top 5a and 6a schools are performing at such a high level now, it's insane. So much so that it's kind of out of whack. I'm seeing this first hand, they don't have time to complete homework and have absolutely no free time. Kids in sports have it easy at these schools.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, that truck probably belonged to Lone Star High School from Frisco, Tx, who was fabulous. I mean, I've never seen a 5a school perform at that level, giving even the top 6a schools a run for their money. Still, I'm sure Lone Star Percussion is quite busy servicing all these schools right now.

These kids at the top 5a and 6a schools are performing at such a high level now, it's insane. So much so that it's kind of out of whack. I'm seeing this first hand, they don't have time to complete homework and have absolutely no free time. Kids in sports have it easy at these schools.
UIL in Texas actually limits the amount of rehearsal time each week. Marching band follows the same guidelines as sports. It's the structure and funding of their music programs that make them so good.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
UIL in Texas actually limits the amount of rehearsal time each week. Marching band follows the same guidelines as sports. It's the structure and funding of their music programs that make them so good.

Those limits are exceeded. And it's not just rehearsal time. The top schools are doing weekend contests weekly even after playing a football game the night before. My kid's school played Last Saturday at an invitational contest which was fortunately local, traveling out to Midland, TX for BOA this weekend, Playing BOA in Prosper TX the next weekend, thankfully a weekend off, then Area contest the next weekend, the following weekend BOA in San Antonio, staying in San Antonio for the Texas State competition on Monday. It's a lot.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those limits are exceeded. And it's not just rehearsal time. The top schools are doing weekend contests weekly even after playing a football game the night before. My kid's school played Last Saturday at an invitational contest which was fortunately local, traveling out to Midland, TX for BOA this weekend, Playing BOA in Prosper TX the next weekend, thankfully a weekend off, then Area contest the next weekend, the following weekend BOA in San Antonio, staying in San Antonio for the Texas State competition on Monday. It's a lot.
Football is not a game in the South …..
Nor are things associated with ..

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

I miss those days. Both my kids went through Broken Arrow’s marching program. Unfortunately they missed out on the spoils of their hard work (national BOA championship the year before my oldest started and another the year after my youngest graduated). They have no regrets though; they worked hard and performed in some beautiful shows.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't live in Texas so I can't comment directly but I teach a highly competitive band in Ohio. It is my understanding the UIL oversight is on rehearsal time and not actual competition. I believe that limit is 8 hours a week. It is what it is. I think most competitive band programs would rather not do football games if they didn't have too. Not sure I ever saw a football team come to a band competition. I'm not sure I know too many kids who do homework on friday nights or saturdays either.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I miss those days. Both my kids went through Broken Arrow’s marching program. Unfortunately they missed out on the spoils of their hard work (national BOA championship the year before my oldest started and another the year after my youngest graduated). They have no regrets though; they worked hard and performed in some beautiful shows.
Broken Arrow is a fabulous music program.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't live in Texas so I can't comment directly but I teach a highly competitive band in Ohio. It is my understanding the UIL oversight is on rehearsal time and not actual competition. I believe that limit is 8 hours a week. It is what it is. I think most competitive band programs would rather not do football games if they didn't have too. Not sure I ever saw a football team come to a band competition. I'm not sure I know too many kids who do homework on friday nights or saturdays either.

I'm not sure what the actual oversight is. IIRC, Texas UIL rules on rehearsal time only kick in the first week of September, or September first. We start school in early August. My SIL is a dance team instructor for one of the top 6a high schools in the state, possibly THE top school, and she told me they go over the UIL limits which apply to them too. "Don't get caught" is the mantra. And nobody is really looking. They have ways of skirting that too, with early morning rehearsals on contests days if it's local enough. You're right, it is what it is, but some of these programs have reached the point of needing a second look. My kid would love to do homework on a Saturday. All day Sunday is barely enough with her AP/honors course load.

All that said, I'm happy that she's a part of something that demands excellence. I'm also glad that she is getting a taste of how much work it really takes to be great at something and around peers that demand excellence from her. I don't voice these concerns in front of her because I want her to feel like she's being asked to do something abnormally demanding, but I'm not sure it isn't. The bar has certainly been raised over the past 30 years.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Broken Arrow is a fabulous music program.
Thanks! We put a lot of work, traveling, (and a lot money) into the Pride of Broken Arrow between the years of 2016-2020. I’d do it all again tomorrow.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the actual oversight is. IIRC, Texas UIL rules on rehearsal time only kick in the first week of September, or September first. We start school in early August. My SIL is a dance team instructor for one of the top 6a high schools in the state, possibly THE top school, and she told me they go over the UIL limits which apply to them too. "Don't get caught" is the mantra. And nobody is really looking. They have ways of skirting that too, with early morning rehearsals on contests days if it's local enough. You're right, it is what it is, but some of these programs have reached the point of needing a second look. My kid would love to do homework on a Saturday. All day Sunday is barely enough with her AP/honors course load.

All that said, I'm happy that she's a part of something that demands excellence. I'm also glad that she is getting a taste of how much work it really takes to be great at something and around peers that demand excellence from her. I don't voice these concerns in front of her because I want her to feel like she's being asked to do something abnormally demanding, but I'm not sure it isn't. The bar has certainly been raised over the past 30 years.
it's certainly easier to ask for forgiveness later if they get caught. I also know teacher's jobs depend on their performance due to the testing that occurs. I know many band directors there who get stressed out during the evaluation time. I can certainly see how it can be considered extreme but the quality they put out is something else. Here in Ohio I wish standards were higher. Too many bad teachers get to skate by in their jobs because nothing really holds them accountable.