header.nohb.html

Any Idea What’s Up With Lone Star Percussion?

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! We put a lot of work, traveling, (and a lot money) into the Pride of Broken Arrow between the years of 2016-2020. I’d do it all again tomorrow.
I'm sure. I was at finals many of those years. maybe all of them. The band I teach in Ohio is competing at Grand Nationals for the first time this year. Hoping to make Semi finals in our class but next year might be more realistic.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure. I was at finals many of those years. maybe all of them. The band I teach in Ohio is competing at Grand Nationals for the first time this year. Hoping to make Semi finals in our class but next year might be more realistic.
Excellent!

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back to LSP, I have a strong feeling they've secretly folded.
I bet Weiss gets 70% of the former LSP accounts.

mathale

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, that truck probably belonged to Lone Star High School from Frisco, Tx, who was fabulous. I mean, I've never seen a 5a school perform at that level, giving even the top 6a schools a run for their money. Still, I'm sure Lone Star Percussion is quite busy servicing all these schools right now.

These kids at the top 5a and 6a schools are performing at such a high level now, it's insane. So much so that it's kind of out of whack. I'm seeing this first hand, they don't have time to complete homework and have absolutely no free time. Kids in sports have it easy at these schools.
When I relocated to Texas I was shocked to learn that some of their well-funded high school programs easily had a much larger inventory of percussion (all top-of-the-line) than any university or professional gig that I took part in.

(But then, some of the inner city schools only had a few trailers for which to go to class. Just saying.)

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
When I relocated to Texas I was shocked to learn that some of their well-funded high school programs easily had a much larger inventory of percussion (all top-of-the-line) than any university or professional gig that I took part in.

(But then, some of the inner city schools only had a few trailers for which to go to class. Just saying.)

The disparity between schools is pretty eye opening. Some districts pour money in, some won't, some can't. These programs live and die on how much parent and booster support they get though. We had a district wide (7 class 6A high schools) show last night, and you'd think they'd be somewhat similar, but that's not the case. Our school demographics are on the wealthy side, while others in the district have demographics that are on the poor side. The difference in funding comes directly from the parents. And with all that great equipment and all the traveling, you have to have an army of parent volunteers to manage the logistics of getting that stuff around, which depends a lot on parents who have a flexible enough life and work schedule to make it happen. And you have to have parents that pay for private lessons and make their kids practice at home too, otherwise no amount of money will do anything. Basically, the bands that do incredible things have to have a program that runs like a machine all the way from directors, section instructors, students, and parents. We even have college students out there helping with practice, and I'm sure they are paid something. Our band has about 230 kids in it, and there were about as many parents in attendance at the last band booster meeting I attended.

mathale

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The disparity between schools is pretty eye opening. Some districts pour money in, some won't, some can't. These programs live and die on how much parent and booster support they get though. We had a district wide (7 class 6A high schools) show last night, and you'd think they'd be somewhat similar, but that's not the case. Our school demographics are on the wealthy side, while others in the district have demographics that are on the poor side. The difference in funding comes directly from the parents. And with all that great equipment and all the traveling, you have to have an army of parent volunteers to manage the logistics of getting that stuff around, which depends a lot on parents who have a flexible enough life and work schedule to make it happen. And you have to have parents that pay for private lessons and make their kids practice at home too, otherwise no amount of money will do anything. Basically, the bands that do incredible things have to have a program that runs like a machine all the way from directors, section instructors, students, and parents. We even have college students out there helping with practice, and I'm sure they are paid something. Our band has about 230 kids in it, and there were about as many parents in attendance at the last band booster meeting I attended.
It really is a spectacular scene. It really is. And probably the best response that I’ve heard regarding the matter.

Last edited:

mathale

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny too, having come by way of NYC, I wasn’t prepared to work with kids the way I once had with adults out East. Lol!

Good stuff.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a very frugal person, a former HS band director, and a low budget university guy, the thing that kills me about the HS mega-programs is the waste. So much of what ends up in their dumpster would gladly be taken by the poorer schools. Half-used heads (because you know we have to throw away these good ones and put $1k of new heads on just for this one BOA show), stick bags (simply because the logos are rubbing off), cables that really only need to be resoldered, not to mention the condenser mics, macbooks, and hand wrapped wool marimba mallets that get rained on, and very nice cymbals that wind up feltless, sleeveless, and ruined because how can you expect every kid to keep up with that and once assembled you can't see if there's a sleeve? (Front ensemble is easily the biggest money PIT in the activity. SWIDT?)

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
As a very frugal person, a former HS band director, and a low budget university guy, the thing that kills me about the HS mega-programs is the waste. So much of what ends up in their dumpster would gladly be taken by the poorer schools. Half-used heads (because you know we have to throw away these good ones and put $1k of new heads on just for this one BOA show), stick bags (simply because the logos are rubbing off), cables that really only need to be resoldered, not to mention the condenser mics, macbooks, and hand wrapped wool marimba mallets that get rained on, and very nice cymbals that wind up feltless, sleeveless, and ruined because how can you expect every kid to keep up with that and once assembled you can't see if there's a sleeve? (Front ensemble is easily the biggest money PIT in the activity. SWIDT?)

I would love to dumpster dive for some of the struggling schools. I feel really bad for some of these kids who are stuck where they are by virtue of where their parents could afford to live. Our district has school choice, but busses will only take you to your local high school. I saw a band last night that had maybe 35-40 kids in it, old equipment, shallow talent pool. That school has about 2,200 students and that's all they have in their band. Look to be rebuilding a completely decimated program. But man, did they do their best with what they had and actually tried to do some more serious music. Had a tear in my eye to see and hear it. And to know how they must have felt following the bigger better bands.

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score
If you want to buy online, use West Coast Drumshop here in WA. Chris is amazing and will take good care of you! Tell him I sent you.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would love to dumpster dive for some of the struggling schools. I feel really bad for some of these kids who are stuck where they are by virtue of where their parents could afford to live. Our district has school choice, but busses will only take you to your local high school. I saw a band last night that had maybe 35-40 kids in it, old equipment, shallow talent pool. That school has about 2,200 students and that's all they have in their band. Look to be rebuilding a completely decimated program. But man, did they do their best with what they had and actually tried to do some more serious music. Had a tear in my eye to see and hear it. And to know how they must have felt following the bigger better bands.
I donate my drumline's half-used marching snare heads to schools that need them. It only ever winds up being several at a time but those things are really expensive new.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Okay, back to the original topic—-although the sidebar/rabbit hole was interesting stuff!
I finally was able to get in contact with someone who actually knows what is going on with Lone Star. I spoke with Vince from what was formerly the west coast Lone Star Percussion location in Monrovia, CA (it’s now known as California Drums, and they are a stand alone, separate entity).
Two to three weeks ago, the owner of the Dallas location closed the store and laid all of his employees off. He also shut down the call line and while the web site is still up, no one apparently is monitoring it for emails (speaking from experience here). His son is supposedly coming in and trying to deal with outstanding orders, but the store itself looks to be finished. Very sad news, I purchased through them and had a good experience. I always hate to see an independent shop close; that location took a big hit during the lock down phase of Covid and never fully recovered, with the additional pressure of de facto recession and runaway inflation.
That said, I highly recommend California Drums, they have been very helpful, and are working to get the actual addresses for the two poor souls who have been waiting on their Roc n Soc throne’s for over a month and a half. I appreciate this, as it really isn’t their problem. They’re a separate entity, but Vince is going out of his way to contact the owners of the Dallas store to try to get the problem resolved. California forum members, if you’re in the area, check them out. They have impressed me!
And no, I didn’t open the boxes, the shipping orders were attached on the outside of the box!!

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
Okay, back to the original topic—-although the sidebar/rabbit hole was interesting stuff!
I finally was able to get in contact with someone who actually knows what is going on with Lone Star. I spoke with Vince from what was formerly the west coast Lone Star Percussion location in Monrovia, CA (it’s now known as California Drums, and they are a stand alone, separate entity).
Two to three weeks ago, the owner of the Dallas location closed the store and laid all of his employees off. He also shut down the call line and while the web site is still up, no one apparently is monitoring it for emails (speaking from experience here). His son is supposedly coming in and trying to deal with outstanding orders, but the store itself looks to be finished. Very sad news, I purchased through them and had a good experience. I always hate to see an independent shop close; that location took a big hit during the lock down phase of Covid and never fully recovered, with the additional pressure of de facto recession and runaway inflation.
That said, I highly recommend California Drums, they have been very helpful, and are working to get the actual addresses for the two poor souls who have been waiting on their Roc n Soc throne’s for over a month and a half. I appreciate this, as it really isn’t their problem. They’re a separate entity, but Vince is going out of his way to contact the owners of the Dallas store to try to get the problem resolved. California forum members, if you’re in the area, check them out. They have impressed me!
And no, I didn’t open the boxes, the shipping orders were attached on the outside of the box!!
Very sad news. I poured over their catalogs back in the mail order days.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I thought about calling Cali Drums with that question, but never found the time during business hours.

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sucks to hear that. I'm in Dallas fairly often and liked to go by their store, but it's been a while since they were closed so long during covid and then when they reopened they weren't open on Saturday (when I'm usually there). I'm kinda surprised their school business wasn't enough to keep them going.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ad. That place has been a mainstay of the percussion community for years. I find it hard to believe with all of those mega Texas band programs buying all kinds of equipment that they couldn't stay in business. I just assumed everyone in TX used them. They had booths at every major trade show.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
ad. That place has been a mainstay of the percussion community for years. I find it hard to believe with all of those mega Texas band programs buying all kinds of equipment that they couldn't stay in business. I just assumed everyone in TX used them. They had booths at every major trade show.
Texas Bands weren't the only ones using them. They had a good reputation in other states around the country with supplying bands with their needs.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
Texas Bands weren't the only ones using them. They had a good reputation in other states around the country with supplying bands with their needs.

They they THE place to get mallets and other stuff for so long. They had everything. It was them or Steve Weiss. Not sure who the other current big suppliers for that kind of stuff are. I remember being able to call them and get stuff the very next day if we ordered earlier enough because we were local. That was unheard of for anything else back in the old days.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is (or was) true but I’d think Texas business alone should have been enough to keep them running.