header.nohb.html

Any Idea What’s Up With Lone Star Percussion?

mathale

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to dumpster dive for some of the struggling schools. I feel really bad for some of these kids who are stuck where they are by virtue of where their parents could afford to live. Our district has school choice, but busses will only take you to your local high school. I saw a band last night that had maybe 35-40 kids in it, old equipment, shallow talent pool. That school has about 2,200 students and that's all they have in their band. Look to be rebuilding a completely decimated program. But man, did they do their best with what they had and actually tried to do some more serious music. Had a tear in my eye to see and hear it. And to know how they must have felt following the bigger better bands.
Yeah. But in thinking back, I grew up in a (definite) underprivileged area...equipment from eons ago...beating on plastic buckets... with nearby city music programs with everything. But I don't think that I would change the experience if I could. Although, it sure would have been astonishing (access to gear). All in all, I don't think that we cared about other programs, but we sure did feel good when we received recognition when performing in competitive festivals with said programs.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah. But in thinking back, I grew up in a (definite) underprivileged area...equipment from eons ago...beating on plastic buckets... with nearby city music programs with everything. But I don't think that I would change the experience if I could. Although, it sure would have been astonishing (access to gear). All in all, I don't think that we cared about other programs, but we sure did feel good when we received recognition when performing in competitive festivals with said programs.
My first band director gig was at a school in the poorer part of town. The head director was a very capable workplace politician, and once his son had been a serious percussionist for several years (at a different school) he himself got more serious about quality pecussion instruments and we had stuff that was way better than the other poor schools, like a Panyard steel band complete with bass pans. Unfortunately roaches in the administration torpedoed the district so all the decent teachers fled.

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep. And as I was a poor high school kid I bought an APK. ;-)
The APK and especially the XPK were actually really nice sounding kits. I remember I had an XPK set in “blackwood” that was beautiful. I just couldn’t get used to the power toms though and ended up selling it. If it was in standard sizes I would probably still have it.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some friends sent me an LSP gift certificate for my birthday in September, but I never got the necessary follow-up email to use it. Attempts to contact LSP via email and phone have been unsuccessful (a call to the local store was answered by a machine in California, but no human). So today I drove to the Dallas store to see if they're even open. See attached photo of the front door.

Attachments

• 20221020_144237[1].jpg
    20221020_144237[1].jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 99

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some friends sent me an LSP gift certificate for my birthday in September, but I never got the necessary follow-up email to use it. Attempts to contact LSP via email and phone have been unsuccessful (a call to the local store was answered by a machine in California, but no human). So today I drove to the Dallas store to see if they're even open. See attached photo of the front door.
These days maybe gift certificates should carry ratings like bonds.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Restructuring is the politically correct term for “we’ve gone under and we are hoping someone will fund us so we can return”

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
That said, I highly recommend California Drums, they have been very helpful, and are working to get the actual addresses for the two poor souls who have been waiting on their Roc n Soc throne’s for over a month and a half. I appreciate this, as it really isn’t their problem. They’re a separate entity, but Vince is going out of his way to contact the owners of the Dallas store to try to get the problem resolved. California forum members, if you’re in the area, check them out. They have impressed me!
I didn't realize they had moved from Fullerton to Monrovia. I know what I'm doing tomorrow...