Any information on this Camco endorser?

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently obained this through an Ebay auction. Jimmy Manone apparently played drums for Curtis Lee who was famous for the doo-wop ditty "Pretty little Angel Eyes" among others in the very early 1960's. What's interesting is that Jimmy Manone doesn't show up on any of the Camco catalogs, yet here he is. Through some brief googling I found that he recorded with a big band in Vegas in 1971, but beyond that the trail goes cold. There is a multi-instrumentalist by the same name, but he is way too young to be this guy. Does anybody know him or have any background information?
Thanks!!
Jimmy Manone.jpg

Last edited:

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's the early 60s Ludwig double tom holder before they went to the ratchet-teeth.
So, if that is the "new" Ludwig retracting double tom holder (781-1C) from the 1967 catalog, then that helps date the photo a bit!!
OT: I noticed that Nick Ceroli is featured in the 1967 Ludwig Catalog as a Paiste Formula 602 user. I wonder if this had anything to do with the fact that he disappears from the Camco line up in 1967 and the "Nick Ceroli Outfit" is renamed the "Astro".

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if that is the "new" Ludwig retracting double tom holder (781-1C) from the 1967 catalog, then that helps date the photo a bit!!
OT: I noticed that Nick Ceroli is featured in the 1967 Ludwig Catalog as a Paiste Formula 602 user. I wonder if this had anything to do with the fact that he disappears from the Camco line up in 1967 and the "Nick Ceroli Outfit" is renamed the "Astro".
Maybe. He could have had that retro-fitted to an earlier Camco kit? His hairstyle looks pre-1964 :) I expect the Camco experts here might know about badges and such for dating.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought the 781-1C actually appeared in 1965?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(yeah was going to say seems it's earlier than 67)

Bopjazz

Reaction score
I recently obained this through an Ebay auction. Jimmy Manone apparently played drums for Curtis Lee who was famous for the doo-wop ditty "Pretty little Angel Eyes" among others in the very early 1960's. What's interesting is that Jimmy Manone doesn't show up on any of the Camco catalogs, yet here he is. Through some brief googling I found that he recorded with a big band in Vegas in 1971, but beyond that the trail goes cold. There is a multi-instrumentalist by the same name, but he is way too young to be this guy. Does anybody know him or have any background information?
Thanks!! View attachment 473661
I grew up with Jimmy he was one of my best friends.. I've played with the best throughout my career including Rich and Bellson . Jimmy was the swinginest and most hard driving drummers I ever played with. I can tell you a lot about him. My e-mail is [email protected]

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
T
I grew up with Jimmy he was one of my best friends.. I've played with the best throughout my career including Rich and Bellson . Jimmy was the swinginest and most hard driving drummers I ever played with. I can tell you a lot about him. My e-mail is [email protected]
This is too Cool!
It's a little late right now, but I will email you tomorrow!

-Kurt