Any Jim Hodder Fans out there??

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recently became a Hodder fan when I got ahold of a copy of a reel-to-reel version of Can't Buy A Thrill. The sound quality was fantastic, and I could hear what he was doing a lot better than when I had heard those songs on the radio. I love the drum sound and the album. I'm continuing my odyssey into early Dan....
Where the heck did you find a reel-to-reel copy of Can't buy a Thrill? That, in and of itself, is amazing! Remember when you could actually buy releases in this format? Crazy!!!

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan through a proper hifi rig can be a religious experience if you have a passion for either...especially once you get to Aja or Gaucho.
No doubt, those two albums illuminated the way for much of my hifi journey.
Two of my favorite LPs to listen to on my analog stereo!

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Great player. I had to learn “Dirty Work” for a show recently. That’s another deceptive drum track from him. Seems easy, but what he played was not so simple to reproduce. Sad loss.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Great player. I had to learn “Dirty Work” for a show recently. That’s another deceptive drum track from him. Seems easy, but what he played was not so simple to reproduce. Sad loss.
How 'bout that time signature change for one measure going into the chorus? :) (I always called this a "dropped beat" since it's one eliminated beat in a single measure, but I got in trouble for that by the drum police on this forum a few years ago.)

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reelin in the Years was one of the first covers I learned in the first bar band I was ever in . 74? can't remember exactly . That whole album occupied my thought process behind the kit and pushed me into deeper water .

Rogers drums, Ludwig snare . Jim wasn't enough of a studio nerd to go the distance I suppose.

stepsherpa

Reaction score
Was that Guala near the Northern California Coast? I’ve ridden some crazy steep rides there if so. Really cool place. And hell yeah, I’m a huge Hodder fan.
Yeah Gualala is just south of Point Arena. Right on the coast. Most people around there live on or just off the ridge between the two towns. It's a beautiful place. I was living there for maybe 10 ish years. Quite a few musicians that found a safe place to rest living around there. Mendocino, Albion.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where the heck did you find a reel-to-reel copy of Can't buy a Thrill? That, in and of itself, is amazing! Remember when you could actually buy releases in this format? Crazy!!!
I, ahem, was "given" a digital rip of a 7.5 ips RTR. It sounds so much better than my CD (which didn't sound bad at all) that it's my go-to for this record.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I, ahem, was "given" a digital rip of a 7.5 ips RTR. It sounds so much better than my CD (which didn't sound bad at all) that it's my go-to for this record.
Stewart, you must hook me up with a copy of this! Holy smokes!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been digging "Steely's, "Can't buy a Thrill" lately and have always been impressed with Jim's very tasty and subtle style. He was also a great singer/background vocalist behind the kit and was credited with singing, "Midnight Cruiser", one of my personal faves. "Bodhisattva", being another impressive track that actually got me listening to Steely way back when. He also did some stuff for Sammy Hagar that was pretty cool and played the drums in Linda Ronstadt's, "You're No Good", which featured more tom work than I've ever heard him play. Sadly he died in 1990 at age 42 when he drowned in his pool.
Love My Old School. One of my favourite songs.

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm re-upping this thread as I'm so enjoying Jim Hodder's playing today and the last few days. He's sadly overshadowed by all the amazing Steely Dan drummers that came after him but if you listen to the first few albums on their own, the drumming is perfect.

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
Huge SD fan here. My view on Jim is that I think he was one of the first drummers I heard to use ghost notes on his shuffle. Take another listen to Reelin' In The Years, he is ghosting all the way through it. It wouldn't be along after CBAT came out that a 19 year old Jeff Porcaro joined the SD touring band and he would later be using ghosting to amazing effect on half time shuffles too.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How 'bout that time signature change for one measure going into the chorus? :) (I always called this a "dropped beat" since it's one eliminated beat in a single measure, but I got in trouble for that by the drum police on this forum a few years ago.)
Steely Dan does a lot of that in many songs. It’s a very cool effect.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I love his drumming on the early SD stuff. I gained a lot of respect for him learning “Reeling in the Years” for a band I was in. I came as close as I was capable of back then to copping the feel and was a better drummer for the effort.

Mayan

Reaction score

I posted this in a thread last week. Hodder and J Porcaro double drums in 1974.

jeffintampa

Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Yeah! Big, big time Jim Hodder fan here. I am/was a Steely Dan freak from the 70s. Their music changed everything for me, and Jim Hodder's style had a big influence. And then, when Jeff Porcaro showed up, it got even better...and more complicated..and more challenging! "Can't Buy A Thrill," "Countdown to Ecstasy" and "Pretzel Logic" are in the top five of my list of all time 10 best albums.
Sorry, no drummer can knock anything Jeff Porcaro did with SD, or any other act. But blame the producers, the engineers, the monitors, whatever. That obnoxious crash/splash cymbal throughout Katy Lied absolutely ruins that record for me.

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no drummer can knock anything Jeff Porcaro did with SD, or any other act. But blame the producers, the engineers, the monitors, whatever. That obnoxious crash/splash cymbal throughout Katy Lied absolutely ruins that record for me.
Add the ride cymbal sound to that... atrocious!