Any love for Gretsch solid aluminum?

phdamage

Reaction score
I've been going a little snare crazy this year. I grabbed this Gretsch solid aluminum (6.5") gently used on Reverb kind of on a whim and I gotta say, it might be my new favorite snare! I have a decent collection - new Duluth Bell bronze, noble and cooley solid maple, black beauty, a 40lbs beast a friend made from cold rolled steel, among others. But I keep coming back to this one. Nice and loud but feels focused and controlled. Really enjoying this.

I was hesitant, as I'd owned a Pearl Ultracast (also 6.5") some years ago and sold it because I didn't love it - maybe it just needed some diecast hoops? Much more impressed with this drum. Admittedly, this is my first Gretsch. There might be more in my future!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not really a Gretsch guy, so what is the 'solid' referring to; do they make an un-solid or non-solid version (i.e. maybe a two piece or welded seam)?

Downbeatitude

Reaction score
I have one. Great snare. Sensitive. Easy to tune. Nice controlled ring with a Fiberskyn diplo.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the super cool and smart guy from Black Swamp, Eric Sooy, had a hand in the anniversary drum which is a thicker aluminium shell. And he loves them. I'd like to hear your model. ANd congratulations..

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have both the 5x14 w/8 lugs and the 6.5x14 with 10 lugs. Both drums are just killer. Congrats.

phdamage

Reaction score
I'm not really a Gretsch guy, so what is the 'solid' referring to; do they make an un-solid or non-solid version (i.e. maybe a two piece or welded seam)?
That's just what they call it. It is a cast shell

phdamage

Reaction score
I know the super cool and smart guy from Black Swamp, Eric Sooy, had a hand in the anniversary drum which is a thicker aluminium shell. And he loves them. I'd like to hear your model. ANd congratulations..
ooh, didn't even know about that one. though I'm a 6.5" deep and up snare guy, so that might be why.
I have a few tracking sessions booked in coming weeks at my studio. If that snare gets used on a session, I'll be sure to post a sample

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The "solid" refers to the fact that this a cast 3mm shell vs the more common 1.2 mm thickness. They also use that term with the 3mm steel shell they offer in the USA line, again compared to the thinner shelled version in the Full Range line (or whatever they're calling it now).

Reactions: Hop

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the $399 one is the Grand Prix 1.2
the $695 one is the solid 3.0

paulwells73

Reaction score
Gretsch are hitting it out of the park with their metal snares lately. This after being everybody’s "boxy snare" whipping boy for decades.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Double Doh!!!

The "solid" refers to the fact that this a cast 3mm shell vs the more common 1.2 mm thickness. They also use that term with the 3mm steel shell they offer in the USA line, again compared to the thinner shelled version in the Full Range line (or whatever they're calling it now).
I didn't see that type of info on the web site to differentiated the shells, so thanks for the clarification. Reviewing the site I now see the shell thickness info.

That's just what they call it. It is a cast shell
Thanks for clarifying for me... when I saw the info on the web it didn't register at all.. but it's there plain as day with the thicker 3mm cast shells...

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
These shells are actually 5mm at the edges and 3mm in the center, as though the edges are reinforcement hoops. The Black Steel version is fabulous as well, but weighs a ton.

phdamage

Reaction score
my heaviest snare is 40lbs - 3/8" cold rolled steel, die cast hoops, etc. i make almost every drummer in my studio at least pick it up. i still have to weigh my Duluth brass, but I would bet it's at least 20lbs.