ANY LOVE FOR PEARL SNARES?

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Pearl snares get enough love on this forum.

Had this in storage and just pulled it out. Brass Sensitone. Pearl does not have an emotional pull for me as a brand, yet I love this drum. I’ve posted and raved about it before but playing it again, well I had to set up a diorama.

Trouble, just outside Mos Eisley.

The snare has some gravitational girth, and those die cast hoops dry it out just enough for me to need a sip of lychee boba. You feel me, Fett?

1B0CC05E-0203-4572-8D96-4C7A9C8D7AB9.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I /don't like can't/ get used to their.. triple flang/ed hoop. It curves Upward at the top. (imagine a drooping flower's curve-outward - that leans up.)

DON'T LIKE
after I bought a new wood 10 lug birch/mahogany session select 5,5x14 : (

it's one---the 1 drum I gotta trade/swap/thought of buying a wood top hoop for...

PearlSnare2 001.jpg PearlSnare2 002.jpg PearlSnare 014.jpg

PearlSnare2 001.jpg

I dislike their very DNA. in their hoops..

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score

Had this in storage and just pulled it out. Brass Sensitone. Pearl does not have an emotional pull for me as a brand, yet I love this drum. I’ve posted and raved about it before but playing it again, well I had to set up a diorama.

The snare has some gravitational girth, and those die cast hoops dry it out just enough for me to need a sip of lychee boba. You feel me, Fett?

View attachment 496177
Actually, I have long been of the opinion that the only two big name drum companies still in existence that consistently put out great snare drums are Ludwig and Pearl. There are other companies that put out some gems, but I have always counted on Ludwig and Pearl snare drums to be the gold standards regardless or which model. Neither have ever disappointed me, and I have owned a LOT of snare drums in my time.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fine snare drums. I really miss my Smitty 4.5x14 copper snare.

View attachment 496188
Me want... I have a 5.5x13 brass sensitone that I love. It's from the 1st generation run. I wish I would have gotten a Smitty snare and a Ferrone signature drum. Pearl snares are always inquired about at gigs & when I tell people it's a Pearl they can't believe it. Their loss. I have a steel shelled 5.5x13 Sensitone too.

Last edited by a moderator:

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I own about 13 of their snares.(actually 16 now that I did a recount)
Most I payed under $200 bucks for.
About 8 or 9 free floaters.
4 or 5 Masters and MCX made of maple or birch.
Great snares.
Occasionally a dud.The Chad Smith,but overall quite satisfied
DSC00947.JPG
DSC00948.JPG

DSC00949.JPG

Last edited:

drumdawg

Reaction score
My first snare was an Export steel 6.5 X 14 and I have been really happy with them ever since.
I have a Masters MCX maple 6.5 X 14 and I just bought a Sensitone Aluminum 6.5 X 14 a few months ago.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
7 or 8 years ago, I picked up an example of the old Pearl Stew C used to see how hard (or easy) it would be to get that sound. Turns out it was pretty easy. Did the cast batter/flanged reso hoop and everything. Great sounding drum.

As is usually the case with me, something shinier came along and I followed the anglerfish on to yet another piece. Enjoyed having it, recorded some songs with it, and sold it for a little more than I paid for it. I’ll chalk that up as a win.

4337F2DB-819F-48AF-8CFD-ACFF118AC560.jpeg

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the 20ply Reference Birch/Maple Snares. I owned a 6.5x14 Reference for 11years and I put together a 6.5x13 this year for a bargain. I’ve been wanting to order a thick, all mahogany Masterworks snare for some time now too. Also, their brand new Stavecraft snares look awesome and so does the new Matt Halpern Brass 6x14 snare.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
hope everyone can see it here. the hoop (Pearl) "cups outward"

denying a full-square (flat-contact with stick) rimshot

PearlHoop 001.JPG PearlHoop 002.JPG PearlHoop 003.JPG PearlHoop 004.JPG PearlHoop 005.JPG PearlHoop 006.JPG

is not flat at the top........^ pic2....................................................and..........................pic 6 ....^ best

Last edited:

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
hope everyone can see it here. the hoop (Pearl) "cups outward"

denying a full-square (flat-contact with stick) rimshot

View attachment 496195 View attachment 496198 View attachment 496199 View attachment 496200 View attachment 496201 View attachment 496202

is not flat at the top..........................................................................................pic 6 ....^ best
Yeah, that’s weird. I’ve never used any of their snares without the Mastercast hoops, so I wouldn’t know. I actually have Mastercast hoops on my entire DW kit minus the bass. Love them!

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually had Pearl's to flip...but I did own a Q-Popper 12" timbale snare for a bit and it sounded and looked great.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 496177
Love the LEGO!

Mn02

Reaction score
Actually, I have long been of the opinion that the only two big name drum companies still in existence that consistently put out great snare drums are Ludwig and Pearl. There are other companies that put out some gems, but I have always counted on Ludwig and Pearl snare drums to be the gold standards regardless or which model. Neither have ever disappointed me, and I have owned a LOT of snare drums in my time.
I tend to agree with this. Though lately I have been enjoying Gretsch snares also.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Pretty much any Ludwig or Pearl snare I've picked up has sounded good.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a lesser known, or maybe loved, Pearl snare? I picked up an M-514D 6.5x14 steel w/ extended snare bridges from ebay for cheap, maybe 5 years ago. It was such a good deal, I figured I could flip it easy if I didn't like it. Well, it's still my favorite snare today. Like every snare, an acquired taste. You wouldn't think it, being a big steel drum, but it's my most quiet and dry snare. Most sensitive, too. And it has competition: two vintage Ludwigs, a single ply mahogany & a two-piece brass, and also a maple single-ply Witt. All great drums with their own personalities, all keepers. But, man, I love that Pearl.
176425990_10158121016755959_685240484422177667_n.jpg

Last edited: