Any Love for Pork Pie Drums?

Nasus

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just bought my second PP drum , a maple, U.S.-made, beauty which is a champagne sparkle.I also have a 6x13 maple in chartruese (sp.?)sparkle; both are lacquer not wrapped.These drum are made beautifully and sound amazing!I also have a Gretsch U.S. custom snare drum and the pigs hold their own.Any love for Pork Pie out there?

brodeo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love their top line stuff, I just bought an acrylic pig lite and own a BB and big boy throne that are all great. Having said that though I do wish that they had not brought out cheaper ranges, especially as their slogan was always "Made by an American".

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have always thought that Bill did excellent work and you gotta respect a man that had his own lugs created instead of purchasing from you-know-who, but I don't understand the whole "pig" thing. Not that it really matters, but can anyone clue me in on his product name association?

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wee had a PorkPie dealer here in my hometown, who has since gone belly up, I couldn't resist the pork puns!!! :icon_smile: they were very well built drums and sounded awesome! he had three wood kits. I think the dealer kept one of them, I'll check with him., I sure love my Porkpie drummer throne!!! Bill does excellent work!

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was lucky to be able to visit PP and Bill Detamore was very generous with his time, giving me and another company rep a tour of the operations:

JackieTreehorn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The USA made Pork Pie's are awesome IMHO. I like the name,I think the whole point was to have a little fun with it.

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a Pork Pie kit- bought new from Bill. It was okay. The sound was fine but rather generic. The drums would go out of tune very quickly although that improved with some lock-tite. I really wanted to love the kit, but I was just okay with them. The guy who bought the kit loves them, so your mileage may vary.

homeby5

DFO Master
Reaction score
I owned one (Big Black Brass), like many others here when the GC companies had that sale for CHEAP last year around Christmas. Bill was a stand up, class act making sure all them orders got filled and delivered :icon_smile: If I hadn't already owned a brass snare or could have come up with ANY reason for the wife to let me keep it, I would have. But, I bought it to flip so......... :angry: It sure was a beauty and would have loved to take it for a spin.

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's funny this thread came up, I have a bud that is trying to sale me his big black Porkpie, 6 1/2x 14" black beauty type what's the going rate on them? anyone?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Just got my first PP drum, the Little Squealer 6x14 steel drum. Nice drum. For $79 as well.

biggator

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got the BOB when it was on blowout last year - definitely glad I have it in my collection.. great sounding.

scottiedoo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love their top line stuff, I just bought an acrylic pig lite and own a BB and big boy throne that are all great. Having said that though I do wish that they had not brought out cheaper ranges, especially as their slogan was always "Made by an American".
hahah I've thought the same thing before..

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a Pork Pie kit in his very cool "purple slop" finish. The drums sing at any dynamic, and I've used them for a lot of very different styles with great results. ALWAYS very easy to tune.

From what I recall, Bill told me he was watching a film called "Goodbye Pork Pie" with a friend, who challenged him to name his drum company that. The rest is, ya know. All the related terms like "pork rings" and "little squealer" are :lol:

As far as the taiwanese made Pork Pie drums, they are not just an off the shelf drum, but ones that he went over to the factory to teach them how to make them. He's always been completely honest about their origin and has never tried to mislead or let people think he's doing them. The taiwanese drums do not have the "made by an American" tag line on them.

And that whole debacle last year with the brass drums and how Bill made good on it all? Just proves why you should buy a PP drum!

brodeo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As far as the taiwanese made Pork Pie drums, they are not just an off the shelf drum, but ones that he went over to the factory to teach them how to make them. He's always been completely honest about their origin and has never tried to mislead or let people think he's doing them. The taiwanese drums do not have the "made by an American" tag line on them.
I didn't mean to imply that he was being dishonest, just that it diluted the brand in my view. I'm just a snob like that <_<

biggator

DFO Master
Reaction score
And that whole debacle last year with the brass drums and how Bill made good on it all? Just proves why you should buy a PP drum!
He even joined DFO and came on here to explain the whole thing to us.. WAY above and beyond.

I'd buy Bill's products again in a heartbeat.

bilkay

Reaction score
I like the 6.5x14 black brass drum.

bilkay

Reaction score
I think it's a great brass drum. And I got it during the '09 Black Friday blowout, so it was really cheap.

Lots of folks have said this drum can go head-to-head with the Black Beauty but I wouldn't go that far. My favorite brass drum is a 6.5X14 hammered BB and I'd put that on the stand before the Pork Pie drum every time. I know that's not quite "apples to apples" but that's the only comparison I can give because I don't have a regular BB to put the Pork Pie drum up against right now. I like the sound of Ludwig brass and bronze drums best. I don't know if Ludwig just has the magic formula or my mind is clouded by the Ludwig mystique but there it is.

Having said all that, if you can get the Pork Pie cheap, you can't go wrong.

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 90's 5x13 snare that is fantastic. It has the older style lugs (not the hour glass ones) and a real smooth strainer. It's my go to choice more times than not. Just played it last night at my friend's studio. Real good performance for a $140.00 ebay deal.

I like the 13's a lot.

Ludwig Von Buzztoven

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pork Pie builds really great drums. I've wanted a US made kit by them for a long time but just haven't gotten around to ordering one.

As for the name, I live it as it reminds me of Lester Young and his pork pie hat.

Buzz